Notices

Looking for advice on a turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on a turbo build

So I'm doing a turbo build and needing advice, only ever done all motor builds so this is my first turbo build. I have some parts already but before I finishing buying g all these parts I wanna make sure all is gonna be well for a well balanced low, mid, top end. These are the parts I have in mind. B16 head supertech valve train, gsc t1 cams, some cams gears, s2 ultra street intake and 74mm s2 tb. The block will be a gsr block with an ls crank sleeved aebs closed deck, arias 81.5 9.1:1 b16 flat top turbo pistons, manley rods, c5 oil and water pump, Arp hardware. For turbo debating pte6262 or maybe 6266, turbosmart 50mm bov turbosmart 45mm gate, top mount and 3 inch piping. Just wanting to make sure I'll be ok on acceleration until getting to boost. And how do u guys afford this stuff on a working man's salary lol I do good to buy 1 expensive part a month lol about got my s300 v3 paid off though thanks in advance
Old 12-24-2017, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for advice on a turbo build

Originally Posted by 00CivicSi5spd
So I'm doing a turbo build and needing advice, only ever done all motor builds so this is my first turbo build. I have some parts already but before I finishing buying g all these parts I wanna make sure all is gonna be well for a well balanced low, mid, top end. These are the parts I have in mind. B16 head supertech valve train, gsc t1 cams, some cams gears, s2 ultra street intake and 74mm s2 tb. The block will be a gsr block with an ls crank sleeved aebs closed deck, arias 81.5 9.1:1 b16 flat top turbo pistons, manley rods, c5 oil and water pump, Arp hardware. For turbo debating pte6262 or maybe 6266, turbosmart 50mm bov turbosmart 45mm gate, top mount and 3 inch piping. Just wanting to make sure I'll be ok on acceleration until getting to boost. And how do u guys afford this stuff on a working man's salary lol I do good to buy 1 expensive part a month lol about got my s300 v3 paid off though thanks in advance
Hello, I’d go with skunk2 pro 1 cams instead. Also tial q bov & tial 44mm mvr gate. Either turbo will be fine up to around the 6-700hp mark. I usually run 10:1 comp turbo pistons. If you plan to run higher boost/ power levels the victor x intake mani works better than the skunk2 street.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I got the pistons initially thought they were 10.1:1 because that's what I wanted to go with but when I received them I noticed they were 9.1 instead of 10.1 but they are suppose to be b16 specific pistons. I'm shooting for 700 but wanna leave it open for room to grow as well.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dealing with the money is easy... Set realistic goals.

If your coming from the all motor build. Why not just aim for a running turbo car and save for the big build?

You could have a running 300hp B series for around $2000 and slowly upgrade each part of the car to the level you want.

Instead of sitting on your palms for years trying to build a monster that may never come to fruition. The build you described above is gonna be well above 10k when you factor in supporting mods for that power level.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solo227
Dealing with the money is easy... Set realistic goals.

If your coming from the all motor build. Why not just aim for a running turbo car and save for the big build?

You could have a running 300hp B series for around $2000 and slowly upgrade each part of the car to the level you want.

Instead of sitting on your palms for years trying to build a monster that may never come to fruition. The build you described above is gonna be well above 10k when you factor in supporting mods for that power level.
I do believe u r right sir. I've actually been thinking about that a lot here lately. I'm one of those people who like to do it right the first time so instead of just throwing something together I'd rather get everything I need first and then do the build. But u r right, it's gonna up there in dollar amount so I would be better throwing it together now and adding to it when I can. I have 81.5mm flat top turbo arias pistons and eagle rods for b16 which is what initially was going to build because it's the original motor that came in my em1 but I've come to change my mind to build a c1 block with ls crank and rods. I may possibly just do a small all motor build on the b16 and build the c1 block in the mean time.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

B16 is more then wnough with the right turbo plus youll save the transmition. Get the correct turbo and youll be happy as ever. Keep what youll have and build it. There are allways better parts around what you gonna do? It will kill both your brain and pocket.It a never ending fever.
Check for the silver surfer or GTW3476 aka 5857 or s200sxe 57mm on a ramhorn on .63 and youll be golden.

Last edited by Balor_Gr; 01-08-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

power goals?

Top mount isnt exactly the most responsive type of manifold, and neither are those turbos....need some power goals to put this into context
Old 01-09-2018, 06:48 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
power goals?

Top mount isnt exactly the most responsive type of manifold, and neither are those turbos....need some power goals to put this into context
I tend to agree with Mr.2kdrift here. I'd definitely look at the smaller turbochargers that are under 52lbs/min for the B16 like this. Keep the exhaust wheel a little smaller than the one used on the S200SX (It's really big. Good for torque, but mid-range power suffers on the B16 with too large an exhaust wheel). But keep the turbine housing in a .63A/R or slightly smaller if possible (no smaller than a .55A/R if going BW or BEP).

As for the SPA Top Mount, Nah.. Too much nonsense to go through even in the U.S.. But my opinion has already been stated on that. No need to go further with it.