Look what I found in between my cylinder walls and block... RTV???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look what I found in between my cylinder walls and block... RTV???

Block is a 2.0 sleeved LS. Blew a headgasket and went to take off the head and while I was inspecting the coolant passage ways I saw a few pieces of orange stuff floating around. So I then looked deeper into the passage ways and found that right on the sleeve was chunks of RTV. It was around all the cylinders under the sleeve. Here's some pics of the RTV and where I found it. I know I know, they look like baby aliens but they're really RTV chunks. Any idea of where it could be from or why its there?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albu...1.jpg

And I found all that in here...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albu...t.jpg

Thanks in advance

Old 02-21-2006, 08:06 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

my GE sleeved block has some of that stuff in it too, BTW what head gasket were you using?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: (tannerLSt)

GE headgasket GE sleeves.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:46 PM

Someone suggested that it could have been used as a valve cover sealer and when they peeled it off the excess stuck to the block and dried, where it later broke loose and fell into the coolant passages?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could just be the **** they use to seal the sleeves....ive never seen orange tho
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BayAreaRacing)

its probably the stuff they used to seal off between the aftermarket sleeves and the bottoms of the stock sleeves, and just used too much of it
Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

So what next, Already flushed the coolant system out with a hose and pulled out all visible RTV. Any way to tell if there is some in the radiator? Because before the head gasket blew i was overheating due to what we thought was a bad thermostat. Maybe it was the RTV clogging the passageways or hoses?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would be on the phone with golden eagle and sending the pictures to them.... was the block mixing coolant and oil? your sleeves may be leaking
Old 02-21-2006, 09:50 PM

Default Re: (D@nnY)

what is that metal thing surrounding your sleeve? is that stock or some type of sleeve guard?

the red stuff is probably something they used to hold that brace in place? haha.

Modified by saveflee at 11:19 PM 2/21/2006
Old 02-21-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Re: (saveflee)

GE godzilla sleeves have the brace
Old 02-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would be on the phone with golden eagle and sending the pictures to them.... was the block mixing coolant and oil? your sleeves may be leaking</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto
Old 02-22-2006, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look what I found in between my cylinder walls and block... RTV??? (shatchi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shatchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Block is a 2.0 sleeved LS. Blew a headgasket and .....</TD></TR></TABLE>

those "RTV orange aliens" is what caused ur headgasket to blow
they clogged the coolant flow to the motor causing it to overheat and the gasket gave out since u have a blog guard and the coolant passages are even smaller now

most commong places to put RTV on a motor is on the thermostat housing or the water pump.... if you ask me, seems like whoever installed them, used a bit too much!
i dont think that is sleeve sealant, RTV is not a good product to hold a sleeve or seal ... it aint designed for it, and i doubt a good shop will use it on that purpose

Old 02-22-2006, 04:54 AM

I have the same exact sleeves and found the same exact thing in my water jacket. I took the plugs to the water jacket out and the water pump off to flush everything really well. My engine was also overheating. Thought it was a thermostat or water pump but it wound up being my head was warped. Check the flatness of your head. and block.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look what I found in between my cylinder walls and block... RTV??? (shatchi)

GE uses that **** for some reason. I pulled some of it out of my GE block too when I put it back together.
First thing I thought was to seal the sleeves too. It was in the water jackets.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those are their old style sleeves which used a different style sealant. their newer HD sleeves actually use a light grey material...correct me if im wrong someone

also as someone mentioned above that is the excess sealant from where the new sleeve rests on the factory aluminum sleeve and seals
Old 02-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Look what I found in between my cylinder walls and block... RTV??? (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">those "RTV orange aliens" is what caused ur headgasket to blow
they clogged the coolant flow to the motor causing it to overheat and the gasket gave out since u have a blog guard and the coolant passages are even smaller now

most commong places to put RTV on a motor is on the thermostat housing or the water pump.... if you ask me, seems like whoever installed them, used a bit too much!
i dont think that is sleeve sealant, RTV is not a good product to hold a sleeve or seal ... it aint designed for it, and i doubt a good shop will use it on that purpose</TD></TR></TABLE>

he doesn't have a blockgaurd, those braces are built into the sleeves. i had the same thing on my sohc block.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Re: (troyk kms)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by troyk kms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the same exact sleeves and found the same exact thing in my water jacket. I took the plugs to the water jacket out and the water pump off to flush everything really well. My engine was also overheating. Thought it was a thermostat or water pump but it wound up being my head was warped. Check the flatness of your head. and block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea we thought it was a bad thermostat at first too. Sounds like the same problem you had, and yes there was coolant leaking into the oil, a lot of it. Had the head resurfaced, but not the block.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:31 AM

For those of you that found the RTV in their motors also, did you guys just flush it out and start the motor up?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 PM

bump for you
Old 02-23-2006, 07:00 AM

I basically stripped the motor back down and pulled all the plugs out and flushed everything. Head came off, water pump, plugs M16 allen wrench i believe, water tube etc.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:04 AM

Also I took the oil pan off to look at where the sleeves sit and bottom out, to see if there were any holes where coolant could leak into oil pan. You may wanna check with a striaght edge across the water jacket to see if a cylinder sank. I also remachined my block so the cylinders were .002" above deck height.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:39 PM

Checking with a straigh edge tonight. Yea everything was pulled off, water pump, jacket, oil pan, hoses, the crank was exposed and we flushed it all out. Waiting on the results of the straight edge and feeler guage to determine if a sleeve dropped.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they ran out of head gaskets so they used silicone instead..........hahahah j/j
Old 02-23-2006, 05:21 PM

Make sure to look from underneath and look at where the sleeves seat and see if you see any holes. Maybe use a good flashlight from top and bottom. May also want to try blowing air in to jacket and see if you feel it from underneath. This is where coolant could be getting into the oil as well.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: (haveaNOSday)

Golden Eagle used to use that, but they have a different procedure now on what they use. Maybe that is why? You shoould also hose out your block and oil gallies or like an hour.

Quick Reply: Look what I found in between my cylinder walls and block... RTV???