Notices

Log vs. Equal length

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Log vs. Equal length

Shut up "go search" ******!

I already looked through the achives and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm REALLY curious to know if anyone has done a back-to-back comparison of an equal length vs a log or tubular manifold on a dyno (same day, same car, same motor, etc)?

If anyone has a link to any test similar to this I'd be very interested to see it. With all these $1200 equal length manifolds and all of the people trying to copy the design, I want to know if it's really worth the extra $800 bucks.

- Louis
Old 02-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Log vs. Equal length (HybridKOOP)

I dont think anyone has done such a test but I could be mistaken.

I would love a test like the great header test on the Integras of ages past.
Take a 1.8L honda product, do 8psi and 18psi..... drag3 vs. revhard, lovefab sst vs. full-race, Inlinepro vs. SFP cast stainless, etc....

Same parts + proper tuning for each item obviously... it would be some awesome research, that's for sure.

Then overlay a plot of all the manifolds together
Old 02-09-2004, 07:42 PM

oh my god....how bout you buy 2 manifolds and go do it, this subject is spent....it just turns into a bitch fight look at the new turbo manifold post...we got equal length and log disputes, search and comapre the info ya read.....Everyone wants somethin for free....Lets get somethin new and fresh to talk about!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Log vs. Equal length (TravSi)

The bitch fight is exactly what I am tired of - which is why I am asking if anyone has done a genuine test between the two styles of manifolds back to back.

If I had the resources to do the test myself I would... but I don't - therefore I am asking the forum if anyone HAS done the test.

No need to get your panties all bunched up, dude.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i swear its never ending, deja vu every damn 6 months. A new wave of members come in here and ask the same freakin questions.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Log vs. Equal length (Mase)

If that was directed at me, I've been around longer than you.

I also was dragracing at Gainesville and building B-Series motors before you were even out of high school... I just have a legitimate question and am looking for some good pertinent information.

Can you safely tell me an expected power difference between the two designs and show proof to back it up? It's all I'm asking for.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridKOOP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If that was directed at me, I've been around longer than you.

I also was dragracing at Gainesville and building B-Series motors before you were even out of high school... I just have a legitimate question and am looking for some good pertinent information.

Can you safely tell me an expected power difference between the two designs and show proof to back it up? It's all I'm asking for.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're probably wrong, ive been on honda-tech for quite awhile, but i made this account in 2001.

anyways, i dont care how long you've been drag racing at gainesville or building motors. that shows me nothing.

further more, if you've been here for so long, why dont you know all the theories and discussions about manifold design are in the search database.

and to be honest, i didnt even look at your name, from reading the topic and body of post, id expect this sort of question out of a newbie.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:32 PM

Why is this a newbie question Mase? Could you please give me the physics why a equal lenth manifold is better than a shorty? I mean real physics, not just a crappy its equal so it flows better definition.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Log vs. Equal length (Unsung EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unsung EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is this a newbie question Mase? Could you please give me the physics why a equal lenth manifold is better than a shorty? I mean real physics, not just a crappy its equal so it flows better definition.</TD></TR></TABLE>

physics discussion isnt going to cover it. its higher than high school physics

ive discussed it plenty, search man, why do i need to waste my time again, when people who dont know **** are gonna act like they do and its a never ending battle.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mase: Spare us the drama.

Louis: I haven't seen any back-to-back comparisons, but I agree...it's a legitimate question. I plan on answering it myself. I'm making a log manifold and I'm making a tubular manifold with a merge collector. I'm going to try to setup both manifolds so that they place the downpipe in the same spot. I think differing downpipe placements is one of the reasons why back-to-back comparisons are not so easy.

Making an equal length tubular is a lot more work than a log manifold and I want to know if it was really worth the effort and additional cost.

Sonny
Old 02-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Log vs. Equal length (Unsung EM1)

Exactly. Thank you Unsung.

Mase, in an effort to not lose percentage points in here I will not tell you what I think of you. But for you to be a moderator on a tech forum such as this posting "how gay people are" is just a joke to me.

Not everyone lives on this website day in and day out aborbing every little detail about every little bandwagon product ranted and raved about.

You having a hard-on for Full Race products is fine and dandy - it's obvious that they are hitting your G-spot... I just want someone with good factual knowledge to explain why their product/design is worth the extra $800.

If you can't do it, maybe someone with flow design knowledge CAN explain it.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Log vs. Equal length (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Mase: Spare us the drama.

Louis: I haven't seen any back-to-back comparisons, but I agree...it's a legitimate question. I plan on answering it myself. I'm making a log manifold and I'm making a tubular manifold with a merge collector. I'm going to try to setup both manifolds so that they place the downpipe in the same spot. I think differing downpipe placements is one of the reasons why back-to-back comparisons are not so easy.

Making an equal length tubular is a lot more work than a log manifold and I want to know if it was really worth the effort and additional cost.

Sonny</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sonny, thank you for your clear, educated response. It's nice to know there are still some decent people in these forums Keep us posted on what you discover.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridKOOP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Exactly. Thank you Unsung.

Mase, in an effort to not lose percentage points in here I will not tell you what I think of you. But for you to be a moderator on a tech forum such as this posting "how gay people are" is just a joke to me.

Not everyone lives on this website day in and day out aborbing every little detail about every little bandwagon product ranted and raved about.

You having a hard-on for Full Race products is fine and dandy - it's obvious that they are hitting your G-spot... I just want someone with good factual knowledge to explain why their product/design is worth the extra $800.

If you can't do it, maybe someone with flow design knowledge CAN explain it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh that was weak.

i mean, at least be a man like j.davis is and come up with something better than that.

Do yourself a favor and search. I think ive even posted dyno charts back in the day

I can sit here and school you, but it would be like trying to teach a monkey to do a motor swap; my time is worth more than that.

edit:
Honestly, if you cant find what you're looking for by searching, let me know in a day or two, and ill try to explain it in terms you'll understand
Old 02-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mase: Just do us all a favor and stay out of this thread. If you want to 'moderate', do it in "your" forum. Us peons can condescend, insult, and figure things out in terms that "we'll understand" without your help. Thanks.

Louis: Back to the discussion. DiRep972 (Chris) recently posted that he had done some testing that made him believe that the equal length tubular was not worth the hype. He said something to the effect that his next setup would be 'simple' and think that's it. Maybe he can chime in.

I think we all know that the equal length will make more power. The question is...is it worth the extra cost?

Sonny
Old 02-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mase: Just do us all a favor and stay out of this thread. If you want to 'moderate', do it in "your" forum. Us peons can condescend, insult, and figure things out in terms that "we'll understand" without your help. Thanks.

Louis: Back to the discussion. DiRep972 (Chris) recently posted that he had done some testing that made him believe that the equal length tubular was not worth the hype. He said something to the effect that his next setup would be 'simple' and think that's it. Maybe he can chime in.

I think we all know that the equal length will make more power. The question is...is it worth the extra cost?

Sonny
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry Sonny, no moderating done here, im not a moderator on this forum, nor am i trying to be one.

you of all people have been through this before, and these same questions have arised. and have been answered.

why always bring it up?

its obvious most people dont know an equal length will make 'more power' much less know why. if they searched for 30 minutes, theyd know

Old 02-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think alot of it now is the bling factor. You just arent "cool" anymore if you dont have the latest bandwagon thing. I might be stabbing myself in the back here, but this is what I observe.
Yes, the tubular manifolds will make more power. Is it worth it in respect to ultimate power gains per dollar? Thats up to the consumer. Is the extra cost worth it for looks, quality? Thats also up to the customer.
I will more than likely be moving out of welded tubular manifolds as my main staple, because people are beginning to realize what is being brought up in this thread:"Is it really worth it?"
My goal for 04: Have the highest flowing manifold on the market, cast of some sort, and have it available to the public for $300 or less.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Log vs. Equal length (Tinker219)

seriously people, if you honestly searched the database and have not found any info, hit me up on PM, and then I will sit down and explain why a 'full-race' type manifold have many advantages over log manifolds.

until then, you can hate me for being a ***** all you want, I really dont care.

P.S. I found these threads in less than a minute.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=307929

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=526141

EDIT: To the haters, i made a new thread:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=762581