Notices

A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Chopper 2 Hopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe.

This is the first time I post in the FI forums, I hope I don't get flamed.
I also posted the same thing in on a different forum in a boost section, so noone say I'm copying someones post.

My car 2000 Civic Si.
I need somone to guide my and point the right direction for my and my goals which are:
Si is a daily driver where reliability counts, but of course boosted car = less reliable.
I'm looking for around 200whp, and haven't decided yet if I wanna super or turbo charge my car (hence my post).

As far as money go I have no idea what the prices are but after doing a lot of research for NA tunning, I figured that turbo seems like a better bang for the money.

I would like all of you that make similar power (200whp, high13/low14sec cars) with your b16's to post and maybe give me some advice on what route to take.
Peace.

EDIT: More opinions welcome

Modified by tommySI at 2:19 PM 7/4/2003
Old 07-04-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Re: A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe. (tommySI)

If that's all the power you're trying to make, I'd say just supercharge it.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Chopper 2 Hopper

Default Re: A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe. (bryan305)

I enojoyed having my Si for a year now, but now I find it a little bit too slow.
I'm not a streetracer, but seeing all of those nice sportcompacts coming out of the factory, running better times than my car, I think it would be pretty nice give them a little competition.

Stock SRT-4's, MSP, spec V's, I wanna make enough power to be able to compete with them at the track.
Of course this is my daily driver so I wanna make it quick, and enjoyable to drive.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:20 AM

i am going through the same thing you are, but i just realized i want to go turbo, because i know that after i get the car to be in the high 13s, i am gonna want it to run faster like low 13s then eventually when i got enough money 12s. I figure a turbo is going to be better than a super charger for my needs. I also had my si for a little over a year and finding that i need more power.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:36 AM

Your best bet would be to get a Greddy kit that is intercooled and then a hondata for fuel and timing management. If you don't want to buy a hondata and don't plan on running over 8psi of boost, then you'll be just fine with the kit right outta the box.

If you have a good amount of money that your willing to spend (around 4k), then you could piece yourself a really really nice setup. I took this route.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would definitely go turbo. I have a bone stock Type R that makes 195 hp and it definitely is not fast enough to compete with the cars you are talking about. As far as reliability goes, as long as you have everything done right, a turboed car can be just as reliable as a factory honda. It's when you start cutting corners when you run into trouble. I also have a Turbocharged Type R with a built low compression GS-R motor in it. That car is my daily driver. According to dyno charts from Hondata on engines running my same compression and boost, I'm looking to make nearly 400 HP with my setup, if I were to push it to 18 psi. I haven't put a wrench underneath the hood since I put the turbo on it 3 months ago, except to change the oil. If you compare to the JRSC dyno charts, none of them even come close.

I know you said you don't want your car to go that fast right now, but speed is an addiction, as soon as you cheap out to get your 200 HP, you're gonna kick yourself in the pants when grandma in her Lancer smokes you. Just do it right and leave yourself room to upgrade with a turbo.

Like anything else, as long as you don't push it to the limit, it'll last forever. 200 HP on a B16 is nowhere near your limit with a turbo. And if you do blow it up, B16 blocks are a dime a dozen, I've got three sitting on a shelf in my shop. I ran 8 psi daily on my last turbod car, 99 Teg GS. I put 12,000 miles on it without a problem until I got a boost controller for Christmas.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe. (Type-GS-R-Turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type-GS-R-Turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know you said you don't want your car to go that fast right now, but speed is an addiction, as soon as you cheap out to get your 200 HP, you're gonna kick yourself in the pants when grandma in her Lancer smokes you. Just do it right and leave yourself room to upgrade with a turbo.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

great words of wisdom there Go turbo Tom, its much more fun and it does allow plenty of room for upgrading/imporvement later down the road when you are able to.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Chopper 2 Hopper

Default Re: A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe. (AztecEJ)

Hey Tom!

As you can see, I completly changed my mind, thanks to few people I talked to recently.
Boost is the chit
Now I'm leaning towards Greddy Kit w/ Intercooler and some clutch/flywheel for now, looking for prices.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes boost it the chit
I was actually goin to suggest the greddy kit.....it seems to suit what you are lookin for. Plus the quality is great. Just be careful its a crackpipe man and there will always be something you want to change or upgrade. There are already quite a few changes that I would like to make with my setup.

We still gotta meetup soon and have a beer or something...
Old 07-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Chopper 2 Hopper

Default Re: A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe. (AztecEJ)

You are always welcome to stop by for a or two.
Greddy seems perfect for me, I just found a nice groupbuy if I had some money saved up I would be bying it right now..
Anyway the time will come for everything.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:31 PM

how much was the group buy for?
Old 07-11-2003, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe. (blkvtec)

Greddy would be good kit for you, but please, ditch the POS blue box fuel management it comes with. Get yourself a hondata and a few hours of tuning and you will be set. This is 1 corner not to cut. Have fun.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:40 AM
Chopper 2 Hopper

Default Re: A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe. (blkvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blkvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much was the group buy for?</TD></TR></TABLE>
2200 I think..
Old 07-11-2003, 05:41 AM
Chopper 2 Hopper

Default Re: A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe. (intekragsr)

Yes, I would go for Hondata s200b as my fuel management.

The only thing I keep hearing is that Greddy has an internal wastegate which isn't so good, I need to look into that.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did that groupbuy offer come with an intercooler?

I'm in the same boat you are. I want to boost my 00' Si like crazy. It's all I think about. It's my daily driver and I need reliability over anything else so I'm only on boosting 8-10psi at the most. I'm looking for a complete used Greddy kit w/ intercooler and then hondata. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Chopper 2 Hopper

Default Re: A little bit about everything, boosting wannabe. (Buzzbomb)

No it was 2200 for the kit, and 650 for the type 31 intercooler.
Brand new, I still think it's a decent price.

Good luck looking, I'm getting my clutch/flywheel today, suspension is laying in the room, next thing, saving up for turdbo