Notices

a lil OT but....dsm engine builders

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a lil OT but....dsm engine builders

my boy just got a 95 eclipse gs and wants to thow a gst motor in it and boost it to hell...who is a reputible (sp?) dsm engine builder.. ive searched and hes searched and weve found alot of problems with crankwalk. i also had a friend who had his eclipse rebuilt only to find after getting the engine back it had crankwalk and when he brought it bak the shop was closed and gone. this kid with the gs has some money and wants shyt done right..also any ideas of what kind/ size turbo, hes shootin for about 500 hp on race gas (i said a pt-103 jp).. thanx in advance -craig-

[Modified by turbo craig, 8:49 AM 8/28/2002]
Old 08-28-2002, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a lil OT but....dsm engine builders (turbo craig)

I consider myself a DSM expert...My first word would be for him to sell the gs and buy a GST or GSX (for a lot cheaper if he'll get a 1st gen). The conversion is timeconsuming to say the least, and involves unfriendly cutting and welding. It's not like he can't just go out and buy the car already with the turbo engine, so it doesn't make sense.
I personally would cop the GSX, but if he doesn't mind no traction I would seriously consider building and turboing the neon engine in his gs, A built 4G63(turbo engine) and a built 420A(rs/gs engine) will be equally strong. Hahn Racecraft makes sick turbo kits for the nonturbo cars (turbosystems.com, I think...try google). If he does get a GST or GSX, bushurracing.com sells absolutely sick 9,000 rpm blocks and heads, the same that they've been using in their race cars. Extrememotorsports.com also has engines that are off the hook, but they are expensive and all the actually building is done by jacksonautomachine.com, I believe.
TELL YOUR LAZY FRIEND TO DO SOME RESEARCH...dsmtalk.com has everything he'll need to know. 400hp can be done on pump gas on a stock turbo engine with a 20G or one of the newer frankenstein turbos at 20-22 psi with 660cc or 720 cc injectors and a S-AFC. I really don't think 500 is possible on pump gas...and he'll have a fortune of broken transmissions laying around if he abuses them at that horsepower. Let us know how if turns out.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:24 AM

Default Re: a lil OT but....dsm engine builders (VTECracer1.5)

good lookin out thanx for the post
Old 08-28-2002, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.dougdynotuning.com

used to live just next door.. definately a dsm expert! ,,10 sec race car
11 sec daily driver...hmm it might be dougs dyno tuning...not sure. hes in nevada now.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:18 AM

Default Re: a lil OT but....dsm engine builders (roby)

hmm that link didnt work for me
Old 08-28-2002, 11:46 AM

http://www.ddynopower.com
Old 08-28-2002, 12:07 PM

A built Neon 420a is in no ways as strong as a built 4g63. The hahn kits even w/ a built bottom end would only net roughly 11 psi. I'm running 22lbs boost on 103 octane gas at the track w/ a non-built 4g63. Stock internals, bigger turbo/intercooler/boost controller/afc/pocketlogger/3" exhaust(turbo back)/bigger turbo manifold/02 housing, ACT2600. This helped me run a 13.1@99mph. Not to bad for only a 5k$ car including parts. It's a 90 Eclipse GSX

Old 08-28-2002, 02:51 PM

Default Re: a lil OT but....dsm engine builders (turboawdgsx)

whoa there.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A built Neon 420a is in no ways as strong as a built 4g63. The hahn kits even w/ a built bottom end would only net roughly 11 psi. I'm running 22lbs boost on 103 octane gas at the track w/ a non-built 4g63. Stock internals, bigger turbo/intercooler/boost controller/afc/pocketlogger/3" exhaust(turbo back)/bigger turbo manifold/02 housing, ACT2600. This helped me run a 13.1@99mph. Not to bad for only a 5k$ car including parts. It's a 90 Eclipse GSX

22psi with 103 race gas...all those mods, and an engine built for boost and you run a 13.1@99 WITH AWD??!!....dude that is SLOW.

My stock block b16@7psi got me to 13.7@104 on 185/65R14 street tires(2.2 60 ft), and no suspension upgrade. Drag radials, 10psi...I would be dipping into the 12's on a block not even made for boost.

Wow...you better learn to drive or something.

Oh, I probably wouldn't have snapped as bad if you hadn't added that little thing about honda at the bottom of your post.

Turbo DSM=Fast
Turbo DSM also=Crap

Old 08-28-2002, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a lil OT but....dsm engine builders (HXMan)

turboawdgsx doesn't know what he's talking about or doing, so I wouldn't worry about him. But the reason his traps are low (if they're legit) is the AWD system. Look at the traps that the 9 and 10 second DSMs are pulling, they sure aren't as high as a FWD or RWD car. Hey Geovannie...I've seen you over at dsmtalk.com like 37817381789376 times.

[Modified by VTECracer1.5, 9:28 PM 8/28/2002]
Old 08-28-2002, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol that's pretty f'n bad if you ask me. Damn man I think there are SOHC Civics with less than that dipping into the 12's.

That money would have been better spent on some grammar and spelling lessons!

[Modified by mplex2000, 2:35 AM 8/29/2002]
Old 08-28-2002, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turboawdgsx doesn't know what he's talking about or doing, so I wouldn't worry about him. But the reason his traps are low (if they're legit) is the AWD system. Look at the traps that the 9 and 10 second DSMs are pulling, they sure aren't as high as a FWD or RWD car. Hey Geovannie...I've seen you over at dsmtalk.com like 37817381789376 times.
This is true. But still, he is either lying, or his car is slow as ****.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:49 PM
New User

Default Re: a lil OT but....dsm engine builders (HXMan)

I agree.

Imagine a full trim Avenger 420A with neons and a serious stereo system running 13.6 at 4300ft with a stock bottom end and 11psi Hahn kit (Sunoco 104). I call it rice, he calls it race. Either way, it's reality.

Fully built, and properly dieted, that 420A has alot of potential. Even more than the 4G63 in my mind.

My $.02
Old 08-29-2002, 04:46 AM

Default Re: a lil OT but....dsm engine builders (B20C5 Turbo)

Guys the honda thing is a joke. It was just a wise crack, relax. I love honda's that are built correctly especially full out turbo deals. The reason my 1/4 is so low is b/c I'm running about 400lbs of extra AWD driveline. That's great your civics & stuff are running 13's for that. Bring it to the street or auto-x course & it's a different story. There's no way you'll be able to get a great launch such as a 5500k clutch dump. That's just tire smoke for you all true? I used to have an 88 CRX DX w/ a SOHC Vtec swap. It just got boring b/c it felt like I was driving a sewing machine. Also running 22lbs of boost on my stock 14b turbo isn't as efficient as running something like a 20g. It runs out of steam. I'm not lying, no need to, proof is in the traps! Feel free to take it as you wish, I didn't join the site to bash honda's, just to keep up to taps on recent "renovations".

Old 08-29-2002, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why are you making that poor 14b compress 22 psi? You've officially turned your turbo into a heat pump...the efficiency of the turbo is hurting now. Turn the boost down to 16-17 at the most on that turbo. Also, it's been proven that the weight of the AWD sytem is waaaaaay over compensated by the traction and power of the dsms. No excuses bub. 400 pound of AWD...try 200-250. If the AWD weighed 400 pounds more that would put a GST at 2600 pounds. And I'd like to see your joint at the autocrosses, DSMs handle well, but they aren't the ****.
Old 08-29-2002, 06:30 AM

Default Re: a lil OT but....dsm engine builders (The Walking Dude)

The "poor" turbo can run up to 20-22 on race gas. It's also ported, polished, as well as port matched to the entire cylinder head. So it's not your run of the mill turbo. The AWD weight is close to 300#'s or so. This GSX is slower than the TSi FWD I used to have. All being weight. It's like running a honda vs. this car. Crappy launches, but top end watch out. And my car does quite well on the Auto-x circuit, Susp. techniques sway bar(rear), KYB AGX shocks, upper lower tie bars, 4-bolt LSD rear. Only thing left is to get my tranny rebuilt/upgraded. This won't be for another few months though. Double synchro gears, taller 1st, 5th gear set, Steel Evo shift forks, Welded center diff. Never said the car was the ****, I was making an original point about 420a's being no where near as strong as a stock bottom end 4g63. Like always these posts go off topic.

Old 08-29-2002, 07:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

you're an idiot. plain and through. you say driving the crx was like a sewing machine? so you steped "up" to a 2nd rate japanese car? great move buddy.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:35 AM

turboawdgsx you sure that wasn't a 14.1 not a 13.1 @99mph? what are your short times? On my 93 tsi awd I was doing 13.0 @ 106 with only a 3" turboback,95 manifold, boost controller @ 21# and a safc. With all that stuff maybe cost me $1200. btw I can't drive. The 13.0@106 was with a 1.76 60'
Old 08-29-2002, 07:43 AM

Default Re: a lil OT but....dsm engine builders (GraphiteAccord)

If you got what I said I meant that there was no, "WHOA LOOK OUT POWER" driving it. The speed just gradually increased. I love my boost when it hits, nothing like it Vtec or not. Yeah there's a little creep, but hold on tight when the turbines are spinning. Open up your mind man, I haven't been bashing, quit your bit#hin. Sometimes thinking before speaking is good.

Old 08-29-2002, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never compared a a 420A, built or otherwise, to a stock 4G63. You, sir, anre an idiot. There is so much you said that I could refute that I don't feel like typing that much. WOW, a ported 14b!!! I am a big fan of 14bs, because they'll take you far...but 22 psi is crazy. I don't even care that you disses Hondas...you're stupid in soo many other ways that that doesn't bother me.

[Modified by The Walking Dude, 12:43 PM 8/29/2002]
Old 08-29-2002, 08:50 AM

Wow, and honda boards are flamed for what. Nimrods like your self. Read the original post of the discussion jacka$$. There are decent people on here w/ stuff to offer, but I sadly regret that nothing of value can be obtained from you. Check into it, there are far more people than myself running more than the standard 16-17 psi that you quote is safe. I've been driving the car for a year, no knock, egt's are around 720, 02 at about .92v. So I think my gauges are correct in that the car is running fine.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I own a soon to be (once was) a fast Honda and I also own a quick 2g TSI with many mods and they are both fun as hell to drive and they both have pros and cons.. both GOOD Japanese cars. end of story.

[Modified by Dublocivic, 1:22 PM 8/29/2002]
Old 08-30-2002, 09:50 AM

As to you saying 22psi on a stock 14b turbo being crazy, well read this article jerk. Doubt you will seeing as to how you're blatantly proved wrong. This is on our motors w/ just basic bolt on's needed to run this. IF your read my previous post, you'd see that I have enough supporting mods to do this. Thank you for your time, now continue on your ignorant rantings.

http://www.vfaq.net/mods/10faq.html
Old 08-30-2002, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, thank you for allowing me to rant. "Wow, and honda boards are flamed for what. Nimrods like your self. Read the original post of the discussion jacka$$." First off, I don't give a **** what board this is, I'll be a dsm guy for the rest of my life, whether or not I'm currently driving one. DSM's are my first love in the auto mobile world. You're not talking to some Honda rookie, son. I'm not even clicking on your nice little vfaq link, because I read every page on that site a few years ago when I was at your diminuitive level of understanding about DSMs and the like...I'd gain nothing new by reading it. And furthermore, I guess you didn't notice my original post, or even noticed what the original question was. Remember "...who is a reputible (sp?) dsm engine builder?" Here's my (quite informative, in my opinion) response to the original question..."I consider myself a DSM expert...My first word would be for him to sell the gs and buy a GST or GSX (for a lot cheaper if he'll get a 1st gen). The conversion is timeconsuming to say the least, and involves unfriendly cutting and welding. It's not like he can't just go out and buy the car already with the turbo engine, so it doesn't make sense.
I personally would cop the GSX, but if he doesn't mind no traction I would seriously consider building and turboing the neon engine in his gs, A built 4G63(turbo engine) and a built 420A(rs/gs engine) will be equally strong. Hahn Racecraft makes sick turbo kits for the nonturbo cars (turbosystems.com, I think...try google). If he does get a GST or GSX, bushurracing.com sells absolutely sick 9,000 rpm blocks and heads, the same that they've been using in their race cars. Extrememotorsports.com also has engines that are off the hook, but they are expensive and all the actually building is done by jacksonautomachine.com, I believe.
TELL YOUR LAZY FRIEND TO DO SOME RESEARCH...dsmtalk.com has everything he'll need to know. 400hp can be done on pump gas on a stock turbo engine with a 20G or one of the newer frankenstein turbos at 20-22 psi with 660cc or 720 cc injectors and a S-AFC. I really don't think 500 is possible on pump gas...and he'll have a fortune of broken transmissions laying around if he abuses them at that horsepower. Let us know how it turns out." No ******* info here...huh bub? I must've just scanned the original post without even reading it? Maybe you answered the question better than I? Let's take a little look at how YOU answered the original question, shall we? "A built Neon 420a is in no ways as strong as a built 4g63. The hahn kits even w/ a built bottom end would only net roughly 11 psi. I'm running 22lbs boost on 103 octane gas at the track w/ a non-built 4g63. Stock internals, bigger turbo/intercooler/boost controller/afc/pocketlogger/3" exhaust(turbo back)/bigger turbo manifold/02 housing, ACT2600. This helped me run a 13.1@99mph. Not to bad for only a 5k$ car including parts. It's a 90 Eclipse GSX" No mention of any engine builders or anything? I'm diasappointed. As for your mods, don't front like you have a "bigger turbo"...we know what a 14b is here at honda-tech.com.
To conclude, you are gay and stupid. I sincerly hope that not only your home and your family's homes were destroyed by that tornado, but that another one visits next year to destroy whatever left of your pathetic town you've rebuilt. If I was still up there I would gladly drive out to La Plata and knock out all three of your teeth. Remember, you beating your neighbors prize milk cow by four cars doesn't mean you're fast. Consider my ignorant ranting over.

[Modified by The Walking Dude, 2:50 PM 8/30/2002]