Notices

Lightweight flywheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight flywheels

How many of you guys like lightweight flywheels on your turbo cars...also what weight do you prefer and why?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Lightweight flywheels (dornon13)

I run Fidanza 7.5lbs FW. I like it light. I say the lighter the better.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lightweight flywheels (Muckman)

so is this one of those things that will come down to personal preference?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely. Alot of people will argue for both sides. I will admit a change in driving style is needed to drive a light flywheel as smooth as the stock flywheel. Others will try to argue you need mass to make torque. That nonsense is just a myth.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am considering this 11lb one i found
Old 10-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lightweight flywheels (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Absolutely. Alot of people will argue for both sides. I will admit a change in driving style is needed to drive a light flywheel as smooth as the stock flywheel. Others will try to argue you need mass to make torque. That nonsense is just a myth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is a myth, well when it comes to reving ect. flywheels do very well here, but it is not a myth when is comes to getting out of the hole. A heavier flywheel will do much better the first 60'.

I'm not saying people cannot get good 60' with a light flywheel, but it makes it harder. Every car I owned with a light fly ( i have used fidanza, aasco and act, all were great quality!!) had major 60' problems, every car with out the fly (sometimes the same car, diffrent motor setup) was great out of the hole.

The light fly acceleration and top end owned the stock ones. But in a honda I'll take good 60' anyday. I know it good up top, that is why I own a honda.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lightweight flywheels (DohcVtecCrx)

i thought lighweight had lower topend
Old 10-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lightweight flywheels (DohcVtecCrx)

i'm soon to be boosted and I have an ACT streetlite....12 lb.

I didn;t want something crazy light
Old 10-16-2005, 07:56 PM

I may be wrong but doesn't lightened flywheels throw off the balance of the crank a bit..I swear I thought I heard this argument in another forum..
Old 10-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (1FastCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1FastCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I may be wrong but doesn't lightened flywheels throw off the balance of the crank a bit..I swear I thought I heard this argument in another forum..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, you are wrong
Old 10-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

hybrid is right, the only way it would do that is if it was unblanced. I dunno many manufacturers that would make an unbalanced flywheel.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DohcVtecCrx)

i think he's getting confused with crank pulleys.

And usually the balancing isn't the proble, it's the fact that they aren't harmonic dampeners
Old 10-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (_gurusan_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _gurusan_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think he's getting confused with crank pulleys.

And usually the balancing isn't the proble, it's the fact that they aren't harmonic dampeners</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, people make this same argument for flywheels to and it's been said on this board before. After all the flywheel is basiclly the crank pully just on the other side of the crank. Tilton sells their twin disc setups with a 6lb flywheel so for some reason they think lighter is better.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ScottEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScottEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, people make this same argument for flywheels to and it's been said on this board before. After all the flywheel is basiclly the crank pully just on the other side of the crank. Tilton sells their twin disc setups with a 6lb flywheel so for some reason they think lighter is better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think that the flywheel weight is counterbalanced by the weight of the enormous clutch
Old 10-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ScottEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScottEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, people make this same argument for flywheels to and it's been said on this board before. After all the flywheel is basiclly the crank pully just on the other side of the crank. Tilton sells their twin disc setups with a 6lb flywheel so for some reason they think lighter is better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Except it has no way to "absorb" these harmonic vibrations...
Old 10-16-2005, 10:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Except it has no way to "absorb" these harmonic vibrations...</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what the crank pulley is for
Old 10-17-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

I personally would use that cash elsewhere. I've personally seen 2 miss shifted motors that flywheels contributed to.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RacerXI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerXI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally would use that cash elsewhere. I've personally seen 2 miss shifted motors that flywheels contributed to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Care to explain the logic behind that?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:25 AM

user error
Old 10-17-2005, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Care to explain the logic behind that?</TD></TR></TABLE> x2
Old 10-17-2005, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DohcVtecCrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DohcVtecCrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hybrid is right, the only way it would do that is if it was unblanced. I dunno many manufacturers that would make an unbalanced flywheel.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Before i went twin disc..i had my bottom end balanced and decided just to check the Competion Clutch flywheel (12lbs) and it WASNT balanced. just some info
Old 10-17-2005, 07:47 AM

Default Re: (dr_latino999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> x2</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's just personal opinion for the most part, but I don't know anyone with a stock flywheel and a paperweight.
So will any of you agree a lightened flywheel car is easier to get into gear than a stock flywheel car? That is all.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RacerXI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerXI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's just personal opinion for the most part, but I don't know anyone with a stock flywheel and a paperweight.
So will any of you agree a lightened flywheel car is easier to get into gear than a stock flywheel car? That is all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will argue that you clearly have no clue of what you are speaking of. When you shift gears, the flywheel is completely disengaged from the transmission... so how would it have any impact on your ability to change gears? Oooops, looks like your "opinion" isn't very valid anymore, doesn't it?

Old 10-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why are you being an ***...now i know that flywheels make the revs drop quicker..i would assume a missed shift would be from trying to shift faster to compensate for the flywheel dropping the revs quicker. nobody wants your shitty attitude in here please leave. i may be wrong but you dont have to be an *** to correct someone.

anyways i think i have decided on a 11lb flywheel i think
Old 10-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dornon13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dornon13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why are you being an ***...now i know that flywheels make the revs drop quicker..i would assume a missed shift would be from trying to shift faster to compensate for the flywheel dropping the revs quicker. nobody wants your shitty attitude in here please leave. i may be wrong but you dont have to be an *** to correct someone.

anyways i think i have decided on a 11lb flywheel i think</TD></TR></TABLE>

And no one wants your foul language and mis guided opinions either. So are you going to leave also? Didn't think so. Until then, either read and learn, or figure out how to ignore things. Deal?

Someone "trying to compensate" by shifting faster does not mean that the flywheel is at fault for a mis shift. I don't think we need to be rocket scientists in order to figure this out. I've driven on many light weight flywheels and never had one problem that was caused from them. Did they slow the 60 foot times down? Might have, don't know. To me, the ability to rev quicker out weighed any losses I MIGHT have had in low end acceleration.

Quick Reply: Lightweight flywheels