Notices

lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 04:40 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop.

installed my clutch and fhywheel this weekend . now the car dies when comming to a stop...ill shift into third to slow down, then into second , then at like 3 grand in second ill take it into neutral and the car will die . any ways to combat that?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (Hella_JDM)

What flywheel? And are you running after market injectors etc.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a light flywheel on my GSR and I too noticed that the idle drop sharply when I engage the clutch now. Funny though, it didn't seem to do it when it was stock, but now with the built motor it drops really quick and 'catches' itself then stabalizes. Odd isn't it?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:55 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (VTC_resurected_CiViC)

mine does the exact same thing . if it doesnt die it will go real low , sometimes low enough for the battery light to come on . then it will stabilize..

and yes im runnnig rc750's
Old 12-06-2004, 05:01 PM

Yep.....mine dies all the time especially with the A/C on. The new clutch that is going in will be mated with the stock flywheel this time. I would have never gotten a lightened flywheel for the street, but it was already installed in the car when I got it.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (NSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I would have never gotten a lightened flywheel for the street, but it was already installed in the car when I got it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto
Old 12-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (VTC_resurected_CiViC)

never had that prob on my D16 with an ACT 12.5lb. hope i don't have it on the LS ... it's a 7.5LB on this one
Old 12-06-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (M.A.R.C.)

changing idle to 900 rpm will fix the drop. uberdata p28 here!
Old 12-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (H23vtecEG)

nah it doesnt alway fix it. mine does it sometimes.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine does the exact same thing . if it doesnt die it will go real low , sometimes low enough for the battery light to come on . then it will stabilize..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

same here
Old 12-06-2004, 07:11 PM

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (redturbocivic)

My 7.5lb on my LS hasn't had a single problem yet... Idle is factory 750. Running 1.7 Uberdata as well... You may need to just set your idle correctly; I doubt it's where it should be.

And what does this have to do with forced induction?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">installed my clutch and fhywheel this weekend . now the car dies when comming to a stop...ill shift into third to slow down, then into second , then at like 3 grand in second ill take it into neutral and the car will die . any ways to combat that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My car used to do that exact same thing with the stock flywheel. You sure it's not someting else. .
Old 12-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_resurected_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run a light flywheel on my GSR and I too noticed that the idle drop sharply when I engage the clutch now. Funny though, it didn't seem to do it when it was stock, but now with the built motor it drops really quick and 'catches' itself then stabalizes. Odd isn't it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, mine does that 720cc, cm alu fly, milled stock crank pulley, forged rods and pistons, i guess that significantly lightened it..

coming off higher rpms, when clutch pedal is pushed in, revs will drop to 600 ish, then level off to around 1000-1100, kinda annoying...im curious if with more tuning u can get rid of this issue?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (Sp00n'd Supra)

my car does the same thing with exedy twin disc
Old 12-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (vaporboy12)

Fuel cut at voltage drop drop you guys running 3 bar map sensors as well?
Old 12-06-2004, 08:26 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (psychotic_z)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psychotic_z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My 7.5lb on my LS hasn't had a single problem yet... Idle is factory 750. Running 1.7 Uberdata as well... You may need to just set your idle correctly; I doubt it's where it should be.

And what does this have to do with forced induction? </TD></TR></TABLE>

my car is turbo...answer your question?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My car used to do that exact same thing with the stock flywheel. You sure it's not someting else. . </TD></TR></TABLE>

it did it only maybe once a day before the flywheel install , like when the car was first warmed up then the rest of the day it was fine . now it does it every time like a champ...im sure theres some a/f issues somewhere but thats what im looking into . would this be too lean or too right comming off the throttle?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fuel cut at voltage drop drop you guys running 3 bar map sensors as well? </TD></TR></TABLE>

not running a 3 bar yet.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem relating to larger injectors running very little duty in lower RPM's hondas are programmed to cut fuel when decelerating/ engine rpms dropping. Perhaps the extreme decrease in rpms with the lighter flywheel leads to a fuel cut with the bigger injectors. Retune time perhaps..

BTW I have a act street lite flywheel /action 2ks and 450cc injectors.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:49 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (turbozxi)

ya i got a streetlite and action 2md with 750's

so how can i fix this . i know the duty cycle is very low at the lower rpms. i wonder if raising the moving idle up will help
Old 12-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, just raise the idle a little bit. That fixed it for me...
Old 12-06-2004, 11:37 PM

It is typical when you have a lightened flywheel and large injectors. On my AEM EMS I had Shaun Church adjust the idle properties so that my idle did not drop right after I lifted off the throttle.It settled at 1500rpm then went down to about 1000 slowly. Not sure whether Uberdata or Hondata is able to do that. You might want to verify with Mase or any of the other tuners.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:33 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (iiilgsrlll)

i tried raising the idle adj screw on the tb but that didnt help . i need to go into uberdata and try raising my moving idle....
Old 12-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn after i got tuned i had problems with my idle i would approach a stop throw it in neutral then it would go to like 200 rpms i could see my lights dim. wtf?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:46 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop. (careawholelot)

my **** does that too....but 96% of the time it dies all the way.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:50 AM

If I remember correctly. When I was talking to Jim ( i think that's his name) from motorvations about 2 weeks ago. when he was tuning my friends car. He said that when you let off the throttle. the injectors cut off. and the ecu has a set point of what rpm they cut them back on at to keep the car runing and ideling... please don't qoute me on this, because that was like 2 weeks ago and my memory isn't that great. I'm pretty sure it's something to that effect. my friends car was having a similar problem. Jim had no problem fixing this on the hondata.

-Chad-
Old 12-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not enough weight on the flywheel itself, i experienced that when I went with the act lightweight flywheel(8lb) and it went away once I went with the 12.5 lb one

Quick Reply: lightweight flywheel...car dies when comming to a stop.