Notices

life span of block (turbo users PLEASE READ)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default life span of block (turbo users PLEASE READ)

conditions:
-B series motor
-about 30,000 miles
-properly TUNED
-running 10-15psi
-aftermarket rods and pistons
-FMIC
-*drives about 5,000 soft miles & 3,000 very hard miles a year

HOW LONG WOULD THE MOTOR LAST until time to rebuild bottom end? or you can just give me an estimate of how long & how much you drive you car with the turbo.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:01 PM
Trial User

Default Re: life span of block (Charlie)

10-15psi huh?

hmmmm save for a new engine.. just my humble opinion...

i'd say 7-8 and good tuneing and not beating the hell out of it everyday it might last you a long time..
Old 07-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Trial User

Default Re: life span of block (GSRwBOOST)

properly tuned = hondata, large injectors, lots of dyno time

and THEN, STILL have a backup motor building fund..
Old 07-08-2002, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been boosting 10-12 psi on mine daily...just now starting to feel the affects on the motor, that's why i have my z6 blcok ready to go in the garage...
Old 07-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: life span of block (98civicEX)

been boosting 10-12 psi on mine daily...just now starting to feel the affects on the motor, that's why i have my z6 blcok ready to go in the garage...
LOL, breaking stuff yet?
Old 07-08-2002, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i only drive my car 1 or maybe 2 days a month, and that's only for the months of
April, May, June, July, August and September. when i get the turbo i don't plan on changing my driving schedule for my civic. I also travel a lot to the near by tracks.
So how many years do yu think it will last me? I'm thinking atleast 10years, since i hardly beat my car and baby the hell out of it. what do you guy think?
Old 07-08-2002, 12:43 PM
Trial User

baby it, hardly beat and turbo... dont belong in the same scentance together.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:47 PM

ummm...im not sure ANYONE will be able to give you a 100% correct answer...start saving just to be safe
Old 07-08-2002, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

baby it, hardly beat and turbo... dont belong in the same scentance together.
so how do you drive your car? do you diver fast, turn really hard, shift like you racing someone, peel out when leaving a stop sign/ red light? just wanna know what driving hard means to you. I drive hard only at the track and when i get fucked with my other cars.........dosen't even matter if i know they can beat me. I'd rather baby my car so that it doesn't **** up on me when i need it the most (at the track), rather than abusing the power that i have all the time on the street & driving like a madd man. Just my thoughts, i pray for your motor if you do drive like that every time you'r in the driver seat. (but i don't think there's anybody like that here)
Old 07-08-2002, 01:03 PM
Trial User

just wanna know what driving hard means to you. I drive hard only at the track and when i get fucked with my other cars.....
If you have ever driven a turbo car, you'll realize that your driving style has changed.. you'll get on it a little harder to Blow off, you be more prone to get next to someoen and want to race knwoing that you'll most likely beat the **** out of them...

Freeway onramps wont be the same anymore... at least not when there is little traffic.. LMAO

Changeing lanes will be at LEAST a 6-7psi power increase.. LOL

10-15psi will most likely turn into 15psi minimum... (most of us had lower levels in mind but soon changed that tune pretty quick)...

I could go on, but you get the idea...

if you only driveyour car a few times a month, then lets just say it will be a few more days once you get turbo'd...

I drive mine 2-3 times a week and it see's that 10psi at least once during that trip to whereever it is i'm going...
Old 07-08-2002, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have ever driven a turbo car, you'll realize that your driving style has changed.. you'll get on it a little harder to Blow off, you be more prone to get next to someoen and want to race knwoing that you'll most likely beat the **** out of them...

10-15psi will most likely turn into 15psi minimum... (most of us had lower levels in mind but soon changed that tune pretty quick)...

if you only driveyour car a few times a month, then lets just say it will be a few more days once you get turbo'd...

I drive mine 2-3 times a week and it see's that 10psi at least once during that trip to whereever it is i'm going... [/QUOTE]

damn I don;t have turbo right now but I get what your trying to say. That's some funny yet very try stuff. damn that's funny....hehe GGOD reply
Old 07-08-2002, 01:18 PM

everything GSRwBOOST said is true. It's not that you mean to drive it hard, but people get boost happy. I tell you i'm only pushing 5psi and i'm glad i didn't get a boost controller cause my motor would be done with. And don't build your suspension like me either cause then you'll never want to leave boost land. I know what you mean about the track, i try to baby it as much as possible and only run her hard at the track, but you have to realize that when you put a turbo on the car or any fi, the life of you motor drops. If you build her properly she'll last a while, but that's why people also have a beater so when they break something they got a back up. Trust me, when your turbo goes on, that first week all your gonna do is go looking for trouble, i know i said i wouldn't and i must have gotten a ticket a day. You'll enjoy though, and as long as you treat her good, she'll do the same.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just wanna know what driving hard means to you. I drive hard only at the track and when i get fucked with my other cars.....

Freeway onramps wont be the same anymore... at least not when there is little traffic.. LMAO

Changeing lanes will be at LEAST a 6-7psi power increase.. LOL

I drive mine 2-3 times a week and it see's that 10psi at least once during that trip to whereever it is i'm going...
Jake, you crack me up bro....you're right though....I remember turning up the boost on the little SOHC and it lasted a week of hard driving at 18lbs
Old 07-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Trial User

Default Re: life span of block (Slow_ass_4dr)

Yes it's true... i never thought it would happen to me.. but yes.. i turned into a boost junkie... just dont want this guy getting the wrong idea or misinformation..

he will turbo.. he WILL boost and he WILL push the limits, just like the rest of us crazy guys....
Old 07-08-2002, 04:24 PM

how long have all you guys been boosting your cars??

Mike D
Old 07-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Trial User

Default Re: life span of block (Mike D)

how long have all you guys been boosting your cars??

Mike D
1.5-2 years now.. almost to the 2 year mark in december..

there was a poll i think with time frames.. try a search to find it... a lot have 2-3 years no problems.. some even more..
Old 07-09-2002, 09:17 AM

I just ordered my kit from Ben. Hopefully i don't go boost crazy till next year. That's when i plan on throwing in some low compression pistons and rods. I'll try not to turn up the boost too much, but if what you guys say is true, resistance is futile.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: life span of block (speedymon)

i just started to boost my sohc about a week ago with 7 psi........at first i felt like god but now im starting to get greedy i wanna turn it up but im not untill i get hondata
Old 12-10-2003, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: life span of block (OoHiTzToMMy)

hahha back from the dead........

haha that's when i was a damn boost newbie. good questions though.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:11 AM

So what was the answer to the question? Are you boost dependent now? Addicted yet?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:18 AM

It all depends how you drive, if you race everything thats around you including your cars shadow, is not going to last long. If I was you I will turned the boost down on the street and raise the boost in track or somebody that pissing you off!
Old 12-10-2003, 05:18 AM

Default Re: (60-1)

i am addicted and dont even have the motor built yet!!!!!! I ride my friends accord everychance i get.

ps- del sol is soon to be boosted!
Old 12-10-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: life span of block (Charlie Moua)

So what have your results been Charlie?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: life span of block (HXMan)

results? nothing tangable ... but i have helps a few other h-tech members on their setups and do know a lot more than i did back then. Also I totally feel confterbal boosting any honda/acura......

boost use to be a dark scary thing but now it's my one of my paths to reaching my goals. LOL

also have a b18c and apexi kit sitting in my garage for the past 8months just waiting for me to be ready