Notices

Let's talk turbochargers and tunning.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk turbochargers and tunning.

Hi everyone lets talk turbo and turbo technoligy I happen to know tons about turbochargers and have acces to lots of turbo engineering info. Let me know if you need any info on any turbocharger. It doesn't matter what it is I either know it or can find it.

I happen to design and engineer turbo parts for a living.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Let's talk turbochargers and tunning. (turbodano)

hey a honda sponsor! do you have a website? im looking forward to seeing what shows up in this thread
Old 11-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Let's talk turbochargers and tunning. (memorybox)

I do have a site it is http://www.bullseyepower.com. It should be intresting what shows up, I hope everyone learns alot. I have been doing this for a living for over 10 years now.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so thats you? i have a friend running one of your dsm turbos it is amazing!
Old 11-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Let's talk turbochargers and tunning. (memorybox)

I am glad he is happy with our turbo. Did he get the stainless polished one?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:18 PM

ok where shall i start...

i still dont get some of the basics of a turbo contruction, sizings and such. Like all the different trim sizes (examples.... 48, 50, 57, 62, 63, 83, ) and the "A/R" size. I just found out a little bit ago that there was a trim value for both intake and exhaust sides. since the inducer/exducer is on both sides.

I did a lot of reading on turbobygarrett.com they explained how to calculate the trim, by taking the inducer/exducer (dont even know if thats the right order) and i tried it and got something different from them? their example is on http://www.turbobygarrett.com/....html

after that, dont even know where to start on putting together parts and actually installing them. I know most of the basic parts involved anyway, but dont have a clue on how to install them.

cant read a compressor map, why ball bearing is so much better than the normal "journal bearing" ?

why theres several different styles of turbo exhaust manifolds to choose from with various different companies. The more styles, the more im confused. Is a simple log manifold have better "flow" than a ram horn manifold? Actually i finally got why they call it a ram horn, it looks like a ram's horn lmao, oh lord.....
maybe i should invest in that maximum boost book.

and yes i know theres hundreds of threads in the archives that i could search for. Ive done a lot of searching on it already which cleared some stuff up, but not enough i guess?

Modified by Bjorn20 at 10:18 PM 11/29/2006
Old 11-29-2006, 06:39 PM

How about learning how to spell first.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:22 PM

Default Re: (TGrant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TGrant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about learning how to spell first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

?? I just re read my post and nothing was spelled wrong. Only thing it lacks is grammar and punctuation in which i dont care about because its online, especially on forums.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bjorn20)

best of luck to you serviving posting somthing like that on HT.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (TIGboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TIGboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">best of luck to you serviving posting somthing like that on HT. </TD></TR></TABLE>

funny post so far, lets see if we can make this onto a speeling contest
Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 PM

This thread makes me laugh...
Old 11-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (96EJ8eX)

How about those new VGT turbos used on the new 911 turbo?

A stepper motor varies the pitch of blades placed in the exhaust housing to create near instant boost and then moves again to aid exhaust flow once they start to become a restriction...
Porsche says their 3.6L 911 twin turbo will reach max torque (505ft/lbs) at a mere 2000 rpm's and carry it up to almost 5000 rpm's!

So I guess my question is this. When do you see these turbos trickling down to the aftermarket and do you even think they will last?
I like to speculate about a built 2L gsr with that much torque @ that low of an RPM and still make tremendous power up top!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:34 AM

Default Re: (Bjorn20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bjorn20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

?? I just re read my post and nothing was spelled wrong. Only thing it lacks is grammar and punctuation in which i dont care about because its online, especially on forums.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasnt talking to you. I was talking to the person who started the thread.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TGrant)

With all due respect, if you actually think people are going to buy what you say, atleast please come up with some better comparisons than what you have on your website.

ie:

i mean come on, anyone with a quarter of a brain can easily tell thats not a fair comparison at all. either there is some serious tuning/mechanical/electrical issues or your purposely trying to jack up that dyno run.

if you are going to start any kind of name for yourself on this website, id be more careful about making bold statements about how your turbo has out performed another.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mase)

I dont know why everyone is knocking this guy and the guys asking questions.

If he can help with those pesky turbo questions, the maybe we wont have so many useless threads.

But not responding on ur own thread, thats weak suace.

The first question of the big post is something id like to know also.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

Mase would you like to do some testing for us? These turbos are very new and not much data is out there. We just wanted to display all the info we had as soon as we got it. I do find it funny that it only took 5 psi more for the 55mm turbo to make the 11 more horse power than the monster 67mm turbo. What up with that?

We have taken the info off the site just for you mase. We are not trying to start a bunch a **** just show some data. We are getting more and more data back each week on how well these turbos are performing. So far mm for mm our turbos out perform the competition. Borg Warner has really made great leaps forward in the performance turbo industry with the Extended tip compressor technoligy.

Lets set up a what everyone thinks is a fair comparison. I will provide the Borg Warner/Bullseye turbo if we can find a willing canidate to do the testing for us so everyone can see what our turbos perform like.

We already have one person that wants to test our S366 over at Inline Pro. If we can put that together I will post the data.

By the way the person that was incharge of our website, testing and marketing is no longer doing this job, it is now me that is doing this job, so please back off a little and see what I have to offer. I promise you will like it.

I am a very detailed person who likes to show off the real deal not someone that is going to feed you a line of bullshit.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PyroProblem)

We have a stainless housing that has a dual volute that uses a design that is similar to what you are asking about. It has 2 different size volutes and a valve that moves back and forth to close off one for quicker spool. Once back pressure comes up it opens up to the other volute for top end power. It's a really cool housing and not to expensive.

To answer your question about the VNT turbine designs. They will work fine on performance set ups and should be available now. The only problem I see with them is that they are huge and bulky so it is going to be to fit them into a compact engine bay.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

You won't see many replies after 6pm est I have a wife and kids so I can't sit infront of the computer and post all evening.

The first post is so general it is hard to sum up an answer that will make since to him. I will be posting hard core info for him, turbochargers are complicated and will take time to understand.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (turbodano)

id like to test one of your turbo's against our 4202R on our hotrod car.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dturbocivic)

Can you give me specs on that unit so we can come up with a test unit for you? I don't actively study the Garrett line so I need a little help on figuring out what to send.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Let's talk turbochargers and tunning. (Bjorn20)

You have asked such a basic and general group of questions I think the best way for you to learn about turbochargers is to read a book called Turbochargers by Borg Warner. I have a few copies and will be glad to send you one to read. This book is full of great technical info.

If anyone else would like one just email me and I will see how many I can get from Borg to pas out to everyone. The book is not a huge book but it is full of all kinds of great turbo tech.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll take a book. pm'd
Old 11-30-2006, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Let's talk turbochargers and tunning. (aaronISthrowed)

I am not sure how many they are going to send me at nocharge so I will be glad to send out as many as I can. If we can all read them and then pas them along to others that would be great.

The book is small and only 70 pages so it won't take long to read or copy.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

turbodano, are you the One that's going to bring balance to the force-d induction section? Too long have the evil Honeywell empire had their stranglehold on all things turbocharging-related, but this is perhaps to become a thing of the past? From my perspective, it seems as if the turbocharger lineup from Borg-Warner is all shrouded in mystery when it comes to wheel sizing and flow rates; a proper sizing chart is nowhere to be found. I'll hand it to the guys at Honeywell; they know how to make an informative, complete and helpful website.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:57 AM
B*A*N*N*E*D

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> It doesn't matter what it is I either know it or can find it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Google, Wikipedia, or by searching HT?

Quick Reply: Let's talk turbochargers and tunning.