Notices

lean after inline fuel pump and fmu?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lean after inline fuel pump and fmu?

i know some one will say that i should dump that fmu... but i wanna get something going first...

anyhow... any help is appreciated...

i have not installed the turbo yet... all i have installed are the map sensor, fmu and the inline fuel pump... and i have looked at the spark plugs... they look more gray then brown for my liking...

the question... is it likely that installing the inline fuel pump and fmu to cause a leaner burn?

during the installation of the fuel pump (the one from the drag kit)... the inlet fitting diameter was too large for the fuel line (B18B)... so I got a fitting from the local hardware store which had a smaller barb. Secondly, on the oulet line... the fuel line was too short... I added some line and used an hole coupler (3/8 fitting) to extend the line...

Could any of these contribute to the leaning? i recalled when i had just a cai on i was more on the rich side...

any help??? again... i only read the spark plugs... i don't have an a/f gauge yet...

thanks...
Old 09-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: lean after inline fuel pump and fmu? (scartail)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scartail &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i have not installed the turbo yet... all i have installed are the map sensor, fmu and the inline fuel pump... and i have looked at the spark plugs... they look more gray then brown for my liking...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You do know the FMU is a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator, which means if you don't have a turbo it's not going to do anything?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lean after inline fuel pump and fmu? (nsxmatt)

spark plugs aren't that great at telling if your slightly lean or slightly rich.. you need a wideband o2... If you have a adjustable fpr, you can turn up the static fuel pressure some, because you may have some slight fuel pressure loss through the FMU.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lean after inline fuel pump and fmu? (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spark plugs aren't that great at telling if your slightly lean or slightly rich.. you need a wideband o2... If you have a adjustable fpr, you can turn up the static fuel pressure some, because you may have some slight fuel pressure loss through the FMU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes nsxmatt.. the fmu is adjust the fuel pressure linear to boost... no boost no adjustment...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spark plugs aren't that great at telling if your slightly lean or slightly rich.. you need a wideband o2... If you have a adjustable fpr, you can turn up the static fuel pressure some, because you may have some slight fuel pressure loss through the FMU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How much of a drop do you think it would be? I do follow your logic. Would I need adjustments like this when I throw in the turbo?

Thanks guys for responding.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:31 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: lean after inline fuel pump and fmu? (toolowsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have a adjustable fpr, you can turn up the static fuel pressure some, because you may have some slight fuel pressure loss through the FMU.</TD></TR></TABLE> The FMU goes AFTER the FPR SO that is NOT possible
I would say you are proly fine Do you have an FP Gauge? What kind of change do you see when you go from base to static (car must be warmed up!)?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lean after inline fuel pump and fmu? (si2die4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si2die4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The FMU goes AFTER the FPR SO that is NOT possible
I would say you are proly fine Do you have an FP Gauge? What kind of change do you see when you go from base to static (car must be warmed up!)?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the info...

curious about the coupling of the fuel line leading from the fuel pump... u guys think that will be ok? I am planning on cleaning it up later... but if it works for now then great...