Notices

Leakdown test- help me diagnose the motor.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leakdown test- help me diagnose the motor.

here are ALL The details, I thank you for looking over this to try and help me.

95 gsr, DRAG kit, 6.5 psi.

Burnt a valve out a while ago, and got it fixed with ferrea valves. Resurfaced head.

New headgasket, arp studs. Boosting on highway, coolant boils into reservoir and white smoke everywhere.

refill/bleed coolant system, problem fixed. Week later happens again.
-this goes on to happen 3 more times, each with the same solution.

Car ONLY boils over into reservoir when I boost.

Take out cams, check the torque of my arp studs. They are still down to torque, 78 ft lbs.

Leakdown test results:
in all 4 cylinders, there is blowby. I do not know 'excessive blowby' is, but when I plugged the valve cover breather hole, it takes a mere 2 seconds for the air to be almost enough to push my finger off again.

In one cylinder, I hear the leak in the coolant lines....and hear the air bubbling through all my coolant.

the only time there is smoke is when i downshift (light light light blue with a hint of black) and when i accelerate quickly (very slight hue of black)

NO overheating at idle, only when my coolant goes into reservoir.

Sorry if this seems repetative, or if this post arises often from me... I just get thrown a different way each time i look more and more at the motor.

what are your suggestions?
(timing belt isnt on the car, so i cant do leakdown test. But when it was running, compresion averaged 165 across the motor)

thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 09:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Leakdown test- help me diagnose the motor. (B18EG6)

almost sounds like the next step is cracked sleeve
Old 03-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leakdown test- help me diagnose the motor. (GraphiteAccord)

yeh... well i got a new headgasket coming in the mail. I wil put that on when it gets here, guess i wanted to see what others thought before i did that.

thanks for reading this insanely long post.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will know if you have blowby if you see white smoke coming out from the breather on your valve cover. When you say compression averaged, do you mean 165 was the exact comp of each cyl? Thats a little low for the standard gsr motor, isnt it? When you yanked the head, did you examine your pistons? Did the top surfaces of them look ok? Honestly, it sounds like a headgasket problem to be honest. I went through the SAME problems, only overheating while under boost and spitting out coolant through the reservoir. After i swapped out headgaskets, everything was fine. Be careful though, if you are leaking coolant into your cylinders it will cause you to run lean and you could very easily run into detonation which in return can melt your pistons, most likely on the intake side of the piston. As far as smoking black, thats just from running rich. If you were smoking blue/white then that would help to verify a headgasket problem/oil burning problem. Your best bet is to yank the head, have the deck of it checked to ensure it is completely even. Inspect your pistons, cylinders, headgasket, etc. If everything looks ok, go ahead and replace your headgasket and hopefully that will solve your problems. One question, when re-installing your head, did you set your distributor to the same position it was originally and check your timing? If your timing is too far advanced this could very likely be the cause of your problem.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leakdown test- help me diagnose the motor. (GudeH23a)

ouch I have the exact same problem as you.

bump
Old 03-28-2003, 06:07 AM

165 is low on a stock gsr motor.

All this sounds like a headgasket. It may have shifted out of place a little bit. This is the exact problem I had before and it turned out to be a headgasket. I would be on the highway boosting and then all of a sudden my anti-freeze hit my windsheild. It seems that my resivour had filled up and started to spilling out.

If it's not the head gasket then make sure that when they resurfaced your head they did a good job on it. A uneven head surface will cause this problem also.

Old 03-28-2003, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leakdown test- help me diagnose the motor. (ekb18c)

Sounds like a headgasket to me.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leakdown test- help me diagnose the motor. (ekb18c)

165 is low on a stock gsr motor.

All this sounds like a headgasket. It may have shifted out of place a little bit.
yeh thats what i thought too

One question, when re-installing your head, did you set your distributor to the same position it was originally and check your timing? If your timing is too far advanced this could very likely be the cause of your problem.
yes I marked the cam cap and the distrinutor with a scratch from a knife and made sure they were even when I replaced the head.

I wonder if the machine shop did a good job of surfacing my head?? I will be pretty angry if they didnt, the person who recommended me to him said he has been working on cars for almost 30 years now.

IS there anywhere around baltimore or dc that can look at my head? I dont want them to do anything other than check the head for level surfaces.
Old 03-29-2003, 05:13 PM
pub
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully it was a faulty headgasket. I'd hope if somebody's resurfacing a head, they'd make it flat - that's why you're doing it in the first place. Hope everything works out soon. See ya back @ school.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Leakdown test- help me diagnose the motor. (pub)

I had the same problem but the block was the problem and i had to take the block the the machine chop to get the job done. It was 3 head gaskets later and 2 head resurface jobs later.
I'm changing the head from my engine cause all the resurface.

[Modified by APZGSR, 3:16 AM 3/30/2003]
Old 03-29-2003, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have aftermarket sleeves, look to see if one dropped on you. Also have the machinist check the deck for flatness
Old 03-30-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leakdown test- help me diagnose the motor. (earl)

If you have aftermarket sleeves, look to see if one dropped on you. Also have the machinist check the deck for flatness
awesome advice. I have stock sleeves. Is there a precise way I can check the deck? Precision straightedge/ruler?

Im starting to think my machine shop didnt check the head for flatness, instead just hot tanked it and made it look pretty. Are there any reputable shops around Baltimore/DC? Inline Pro?
Old 03-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need a machinists straight bar to do it yourself. Most machine shops have them.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Leakdown test- help me diagnose the motor. (earl)

thank you for your rapid response. If the block is warped, what are my options?