Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

 
Old 09-09-2018, 07:35 PM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Going into a 1990 CRX HF. b16a2 SRP Pistons, Eagle H Beams, ARP head studs, Walbro 255 FP, Precision 1000cc injectors, stock intake, stock TB, 2.5" exhaust, Y1 LSD trans. I previously had a stock block b20 making 220whp on 8psi with this kit. It's a Go Auto Works street b series kit with a Turbonetics Super 60 .48AR turbo, cast iron manifold FMIC, Tial WG and BOV. I'm told this turbo is only good up to 320ish HP, what would my best option be? I don't have a set HP goal in mind I don't want to push it I just want safe HP I was thinking I'd like around 400. I'd like a "plug and play" turbo, I have the t3 flange and downpipe already as well as the oil lines so I'd like something that will bolt up exactly the same. Or should I just use what I have?
MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 09-09-2018, 07:40 PM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 09-09-2018, 07:50 PM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Chance EG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

I'd leave what you have, up the boost to 15-16PSI and just see where it gets you (nowhere close to 320, but you'd have a lot of other hurdles to cross before going anywhere beyond 350).
Chance EG is offline  
Old 09-09-2018, 07:52 PM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post
I'd leave what you have, up the boost to 15-16PSI and just see where it gets you (nowhere close to 320, but you'd have a lot of other hurdles to cross before going anywhere beyond 350).
Can you further explain? What are my limiting factors? And what hp do you think I'd be making at 15psi?
MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 09-09-2018, 07:55 PM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 764
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

I’m in the same position as you. I’m really trying to figure out what would be the right turbo for my new build. Something like a gt35 seems to be a popular pick but it seems to have its limits if your really wanting to go big (600+). I’m going to try to go precision turbo but they are so damn expensive, but you get what you pay for in the long run, I just don’t know what size. I’m hoping AZ will help guide me on this one. If your staying under 400hp I think a (good quality ) t3/t4 could do that but it would push its limits, that’s what I’m currently running and I was told by the place that build mine that 400hp would be the limit before being complete non effective..... side note, are you till on stock sleeves? If so I would think 4-450 would be the most you would ever try for anyway
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 09-09-2018, 08:15 PM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post
I’m in the same position as you. I’m really trying to figure out what would be the right turbo for my new build. Something like a gt35 seems to be a popular pick but it seems to have its limits if your really wanting to go big (600+). I’m going to try to go precision turbo but they are so damn expensive, but you get what you pay for in the long run, I just don’t know what size. I’m hoping AZ will help guide me on this one. If your staying under 400hp I think a (good quality ) t3/t4 could do that but it would push its limits, that’s what I’m currently running and I was told by the place that build mine that 400hp would be the limit before being complete non effective..... side note, are you till on stock sleeves? If so I would think 4-450 would be the most you would ever try for anyway
pick your goal, find an appropriate turbo and build your motor, "t3/t4" is very general that could be anywhere between 200 - 800 hp and literally hundreds of turbos

It all starts with a goal we cant help much with that you need to tell us. plenty of examples and build threads for 400 HP, which would not require anywhere near a 356 More like a Gt 3076

honestly with precision you definitely dont get what you pay for at all IMO stick with garret turbonetics or maybe even holset
2kdrift is offline  
Old 09-09-2018, 08:26 PM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 764
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Originally Posted by 2kdrift View Post
pick your goal, find an appropriate turbo and build your motor, "t3/t4" is very general that could be anywhere between 200 - 800 hp and literally hundreds of turbos

It all starts with a goal we cant help much with that you need to tell us. plenty of examples and build threads for 400 HP, which would not require anywhere near a 356 More like a Gt 3076

honestly with precision you definitely dont get what you pay for at all IMO stick with garret turbonetics or maybe even holset
the turbo I have now was built 100% as a turbonetics without they’re logo, I had a custom turbo builder build this turbo years back. I’m very aware it’s not going to handle my new needs. My new setup will have a CSS block, wiseco pistons Skunk2 h beam rods, ferrea valves / springs / retainers , unsure about which cam at this point, arp head studs , je pro seal head gasket. Then whatever fuel delivery required to match the hp goal. I’m building it to handle 850 but will tune it to 650-750 range which will make a fun weekend track car. There isn’t enough support for imports in the area I live in to takes take any further.
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:24 AM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
AZ_CIVIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,597
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

If you are looking for a pretty good priced turbo that could make some power, see below. I had this on my car and utilized a ram horn with the turbo below which was the Garrett t3/t61 stage5 .82AR. It claims 600 but I made 715whp with that turbo and it got me in the 9's. I ran that thing for thousands of miles and never once had an issue with it at all.

It utilizes the GT35R compressor wheel with your choice of turbine wheel in a journal bearing CHRA. The good thing about this turbo is the cost, I mean it was a little over $800 bucks to get a turbo capable of 9's is good to me anyway.

Garrett T3/T61 Stage 5 Turbo - 600 HP [GAR-T61STAGE5-064] - $818.00 : Himni Racing, Turbocharger, Turbo, Garrett, Turbo Kit, GReddy, Mazda RX-7, HKS, Apexi, TiAL, TurboXS, TurboSmart, Flange, Turbonetics, Exhaust, Intercooler, ACT, Intake
AZ_CIVIC is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 10:17 AM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 764
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post
If you are looking for a pretty good priced turbo that could make some power, see below. I had this on my car and utilized a ram horn with the turbo below which was the Garrett t3/t61 stage5 .82AR. It claims 600 but I made 715whp with that turbo and it got me in the 9's. I ran that thing for thousands of miles and never once had an issue with it at all.

It utilizes the GT35R compressor wheel with your choice of turbine wheel in a journal bearing CHRA. The good thing about this turbo is the cost, I mean it was a little over $800 bucks to get a turbo capable of 9's is good to me anyway.

Garrett T3/T61 Stage 5 Turbo - 600 HP [GAR-T61STAGE5-064] - $818.00 : Himni Racing, Turbocharger, Turbo, Garrett, Turbo Kit, GReddy, Mazda RX-7, HKS, Apexi, TiAL, TurboXS, TurboSmart, Flange, Turbonetics, Exhaust, Intercooler, ACT, Intake
if you have that old thing just laying around collecting dust....
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 11:48 AM
  #10  
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
AZ_CIVIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,597
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post

if you have that old thing just laying around collecting dust....
I sold it to a guy a few years ago who used it for their K-series build and he loved it.
AZ_CIVIC is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 01:12 PM
  #11  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

What do you guys think of a Precision ptb300-6162 .60AR? I could get one for a few hundred (used) would that be a good match for a b16 around 400whp?
MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 01:27 PM
  #12  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
TheShodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: City of Wind, IL, USA
Posts: 23,363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Originally Posted by MastaFlyMason View Post
What do you guys think of a Precision ptb300-6162 .60AR? I could get one for a few hundred (used) would that be a good match for a b16 around 400whp?
Way too Big... I'd blow you away with 325whp b18 over that for a b16. You'd reach 6000rpms, by... Well... Next week
TheShodan is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 01:39 PM
  #13  
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
AZ_CIVIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,597
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

AZ_CIVIC is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:16 PM
  #14  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Awesome thanks I'll take a look. Someone changed the title to my thread, I'm still looking for 400whp
MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:18 PM
  #15  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

The first poster said I won't be able to make anywhere near 400whp can anyone tell me why? How much HP could I make with a newer turbo?
MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:23 PM
  #16  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Think he didn't realize u had forged pistons. Limiting factor is your sleeves which should be good till about 450ish reliably
2kdrift is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 PM
  #17  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Ok awesome! The thread got kind of derailed so I want to start over with my goals. I'm trying to make around 400whp on my car. Details:

1990 CRX HF
b16a2
Stock Sleeves
SRP Pistons
Eagle H Beams
ARP Rod Bolts
Precision 1000cc Injectors
Walbro 255
Y1 LSD Trans
Competition Stage 5 Clutch
Stock Intake/TB (willing to buy new if it would make a difference)
Cast Iron t3 manifold
Go Auto Works street kit (Tial BOV and WG 2.5" piping FMIC)

I currently have a Turbonetics Super 60 but I need something bigger. My budget is around $500 so I'm guessing I'll have to buy used. Are my goals reasonable? Sounds like maybe a used name brand 57 trim would be the way to go? Also on that precision why would it make my car slow? It would just take a long time to spool because the turbo is so large?
MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 04:52 PM
  #18  
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
AZ_CIVIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,597
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Originally Posted by MastaFlyMason View Post
Ok awesome! The thread got kind of derailed so I want to start over with my goals. I'm trying to make around 400whp on my car. Details:

1990 CRX HF
b16a2
Stock Sleeves
SRP Pistons
Eagle H Beams
ARP Rod Bolts
Precision 1000cc Injectors
Walbro 255
Y1 LSD Trans
Competition Stage 5 Clutch
Stock Intake/TB (willing to buy new if it would make a difference)
Cast Iron t3 manifold
Go Auto Works street kit (Tial BOV and WG 2.5" piping FMIC)

I currently have a Turbonetics Super 60 but I need something bigger. My budget is around $500 so I'm guessing I'll have to buy used. Are my goals reasonable? Sounds like maybe a used name brand 57 trim would be the way to go? Also on that precision why would it make my car slow? It would just take a long time to spool because the turbo is so large?
I would say the 57trim would be a solid turbo, it was my first turbo I ever ran back in the day and made 480whp with it and daily drove everyday with that thing. If you can find a used one you should be able to find one for 500 or less or just save the extra 150 bucks and buy a brand new one with no problems.
AZ_CIVIC is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 06:00 PM
  #19  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 764
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Originally Posted by MastaFlyMason View Post
Ok awesome! The thread got kind of derailed so I want to start over with my goals. I'm trying to make around 400whp on my car. Details:

1990 CRX HF
b16a2
Stock Sleeves
SRP Pistons
Eagle H Beams
ARP Rod Bolts
Precision 1000cc Injectors
Walbro 255
Y1 LSD Trans
Competition Stage 5 Clutch
Stock Intake/TB (willing to buy new if it would make a difference)
Cast Iron t3 manifold
Go Auto Works street kit (Tial BOV and WG 2.5" piping FMIC)

I currently have a Turbonetics Super 60 but I need something bigger. My budget is around $500 so I'm guessing I'll have to buy used. Are my goals reasonable? Sounds like maybe a used name brand 57 trim would be the way to go? Also on that precision why would it make my car slow? It would just take a long time to spool because the turbo is so large?
is the engine already assembled? If not the only thing I would recommend would be something like the JE pro seal head gasket. Thats what I keep getting told works the best with a non sleeved block. Stock sleeves can move at higher HP which is why head gaskets go. Apparently the JE Pro seal gasket has seal ring for each cylinder which allows some extra forgiveness
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 06:04 PM
  #20  
Honda-Tech Member
 
turboLScrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bowling Green, ky, USA
Posts: 764
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post
I would say the 57trim would be a solid turbo, it was my first turbo I ever ran back in the day and made 480whp with it and daily drove everyday with that thing. If you can find a used one you should be able to find one for 500 or less or just save the extra 150 bucks and buy a brand new one with no problems.
I plan on making it out to a larger event on the west coast next year, Id love to see yourcar run if we could arrange a event your going to. As for turbos, I started off using the GReddy kit for the Civic , I think it was only like a t25? Or something like that? It got me down to a 13.05 on a stock SOHC though.
turboLScrx is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 06:12 PM
  #21  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Personally wouldn't go used u never know for sure what condition it will be in just wasted money imo. You can get brand new journal bearing for 500 or 600 from go auto

as far as spool yes it makes your car slower on the street as your out of boost more often then not with a larger turbo. At the track your always at upper rpm so bigger is better in that case for the most part
2kdrift is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:04 PM
  #22  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Ok I know the Precision ptb300-6162 .60AR is good would it be stupid to buy it? I was thinking maybe later on I'd want to try for 450ish but if it's gonna spool too slow I'll spend the extra $ on the new garrett
MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 PM
  #23  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Everyone here hates precision so you won't get many friendly responses they have a tendency to fail prematurely. Like I said I recommend turbonetics or Garrett both are good and availible thru gaw

6162 is rather large especially since it's going on a b16 smaller motors have a tougher time spoiling the turbo. I'd be looking at a 57 trim or a turbonetics 5857. Turbonetics seem to work quite well they have a newer blade technology then the garrett

here check this out, this is from a member on here with a b16, beleive there was a cam change between the garrett and two turbonetics turbos so part of the gains were in the cam not the turbo


full thread here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...black-3164186/

Last edited by 2kdrift; 09-10-2018 at 07:49 PM.
2kdrift is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 PM
  #24  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

Originally Posted by 2kdrift View Post
Everyone here hates precision so you won't get many friendly responses they have a tendency to fail prematurely. Like I said I recommend turbonetics or Garrett both are good and availible thru gaw

6162 is rather large especially since it's going on a b16 smaller motors have a tougher time spoiling the turbo. I'd be looking at a 57 trim or a turbonetics 5857. Turbonetics seem to work quite well they have a newer blade technology then the garrett

here check this out, this is from a member on here with a b16, beleive there was a cam change between the garrett and 57 trim so part of the gains were in the cam not the turbo




full thread here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...black-3164186/

How do these look? Is the only difference the 90 for the IC piping? These are a bit cheaper and within my budget, I could stretch it that far and grab one of these. Unless the 57 trim Garrett from go auto works is 100% worth the extra cash

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-T04E-...d=332450171121
https://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-T04E-...FbPAIW&vxp=mtr


MastaFlyMason is offline  
Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 PM
  #25  
Honda-Tech Member
 
2kdrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida, usa
Posts: 1,919
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Large framed turbo options for 650whp-750whp B16A2 power plant?

do you already have a 5 bolt dowbpipe or is it 4 bolt? The one with the 90* can be compensated with IC piping only if you have the space, with our engine bays usually not depending on placement

Those are a bit smaller 50mm inducer wont make the power your looking for
those might be clones at that price, id stick to somewhere reliable real st perfomance,if shopping on ebay. Greg might be able to spot the real from the fake Im not sure I can.

its a bit hard to beat Go autoworks prices However if you shop arround enough you can find them a bit cheaper just make sure your shopping reputable vendors
2kdrift is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: