Notices

knowledge tutorial needed: Basic conceptual understanding of Boost-by-gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knowledge tutorial needed: Basic conceptual understanding of Boost-by-gear

I'm new to configuring boost by gear. I installed a 4 ports hondata boost controller solenoid. The installation was a breeze and connections were done correctly. The solenoid clicking. I'm using flashpro.
At first, I put a value of 40% in duty cycle, the boost comes so fast and hitting the boost cut too so early like pinning you down in your seat. I hate it!
Someone told me to put a 0% value on all the column of the duty cycle, to find out if my solenoid is working properly and I should not hit the boost cut on 0 %. Sure enough no boost cut, I can only go a little over my wastegate spring of 3 lbs. I knew that my solenoid is working.

The reason i want boost by gear is because my car is so light (1,300 lbs) and to dump all the power at 1st and 2nd is impossible to hookup, dangerous, i can't handle it. Now, I like to guess on the value and try this value below:
Can i put 5% duty cycle in 1st and 10% in 2nd and the 3rd is 20% all the way to 6th gear?

Someone who is good in boost by gear, please give me some insight.
Thank you!
Old 04-22-2018, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: knowledge tutorial needed: Basic conceptual understanding of Boost-by-gear

What frequency is your solenoid set at? Higher frequency equals a more aggressive solenoid. Try starting with you frequency at 25hz and and set you duty cycle to 25 and see what boost you end up with.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: knowledge tutorial needed: Basic conceptual understanding of Boost-by-gear

Thank you for your reply.
I did not change the hertz value from the original flashpro, it was still 33 hertz.
I like to try 25hertz, can you kindly explain what will I expect and the behavior once I change it to lower hertz.
So when I test it again, I will be able to tell you.

thank you
Old 04-22-2018, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By lowering the frequency to 25 from 33 the solenoid will act less aggressive (less boost increase with added duty cycle). Starts at 25% duty cycle then do a pull and take note of you boost pressure, then add 5% duty and repeat until you start getting bigger jumps in boost pressure, then you can fine tune it by add 1-2% duty at a time until boost pressure is where you want it.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I will try that value and play around with the duty cycle.

Thank u
Old 04-23-2018, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You need to set the program to fixed duty cycle and find out what DC% = Lbs of boost. That should plot a line you can use to judge what gear can handle what boost pressure.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I put it in fixed duty cycle, then how can I find the percentage of the duty cycle under boost?
I can see the boost but not the duty cycle.
You mean, do a datalog?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: knowledge tutorial needed: Basic conceptual understanding of Boost-by-gear

Like put it at 5%, go do a 3rd gear pull, datalog and see how much boost it was. Say it was 4 lbs. So 4 lbs of boost is 5%. Then put 10%, do another pull, log the boost and see where it was etc. Eventually you'll have 5%=4lbs, 10%=5lbs etc etc and you can input the duty cylce in the boost by gear table to whatever your preference
Old 04-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: knowledge tutorial needed: Basic conceptual understanding of Boost-by-gear

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Like put it at 5%, go do a 3rd gear pull, datalog and see how much boost it was. Say it was 4 lbs. So 4 lbs of boost is 5%. Then put 10%, do another pull, log the boost and see where it was etc. Eventually you'll have 5%=4lbs, 10%=5lbs etc etc and you can input the duty cylce in the boost by gear table to whatever your preference
Yup, but in my experience the solenoid doesn’t actually start adding boost over wg spring pressure until around 25% duty cycle. Maybe you’ve had different experiences.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

4port solenoid are alot more aggressive than a 3port. I went thru the same issue last year. The higher the frequency, the bigger the jumps in pressure. Aswell as the solenoid being more unstable or inconsistant pressure. The lower the frequency, the more stable the solenoid will hold pressure. Aswell as keeping in mind cold temperature spikes.

flashpro boost control arent as full of options as s300. Unless they updated it. I helped setup boost control for an 8th civic with 4port last year aswell. I do agree also, when tryin to figure out your pressures, to start with the fixed duty cycle checked at low duty cycle. Depending on size of the turbo and desired pressure, once the solenoid start to work, id go up 2-5% percent at a time with 20-25hz.

on my 4port, i am setup 40% duty cycle boost by gear by rpm, at 30hz.
temps about -2,0,2,3
Old 04-24-2018, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, now I understand from all your explanation.
It was raining so hard yesterday and I was not able to test at 25hertz and start at 25% duty cycle. I will keep note on this values. I will consider fixed duty cycle approach too if I get lost.
I will keep you posted

thank you so much!
Old 04-24-2018, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got lost using boost by gear so I used "Fixed duty cycle" approached.
First, I changed the hertz to 25 Hz, then I entered 0.5% on all the table under duty cycle.
At 3rd gear I can go to 9psi of boost. That's where I want to be. However at 4th and 5th, it cannot go any farther than 9psi.
Can I increase the 4th & 5th to 10% duty cycle?

Later on, I will fool around on 1st & 2nd and lowered it to say 0.4% duty cycle?

thanks - I'm getting there.
Also, yes by bringing down the hertz from 33 to 25 is less aggressive ( which I like)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a 3psi spring you will not acheive more than that. The general rule is you typically cant do more then 2-3 times what the spring is rated for.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
If you have a 3psi spring you will not acheive more than that. The general rule is you typically cant do more then 2-3 times what the spring is rated for.
Maybe with a manual boost controller or a 3 port solenoid, but with a 4 port you can typically get at least 3-4 times wg spring pressure. It’s pretty setup specific though. I have a 3.8 lb wg spring with a 4 port right now and have no problem getting 17psi at only ~55% duty cycle at 25hz. I have noticed that running a small wg spring will make boost response after a shift a little slower, witch I hate lol. I’m probably going to swap in at least a 7 lb wg spring.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr

Maybe with a manual boost controller or a 3 port solenoid, but with a 4 port you can typically get at least 3-4 times wg spring pressure. It’s pretty setup specific though. I have a 3.8 lb wg spring with a 4 port right now and have no problem getting 17psi at only ~55% duty cycle at 25hz. I have noticed that running a small wg spring will make boost response after a shift a little slower, witch I hate lol. I’m probably going to swap in at least a 7 lb wg spring.
I noticed this too and you can actually see it in the dyno (between 7lb spring and 15lb spring)
Old 04-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I have 3.5 lbs wastegate spring.
So, I raised the duty cycle of the 4th & 5th gear to 10% and I have no problem going 11 psi. I bet if I raise the duty cycle to 20% I might see 12 to 14psi which I don't want to go more than that.

Here is my last question, after I'm satisfied on the setup of the duty cycle, can I now change from fixed duty cycle to boost by gear selection?