just got back from latest tuning session 400 HP club yay

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got back from latest tuning session 400 HP club yay

finally got tuned today. results on 93 octane pump gas:
414HP and 292 ft/lb TQ @ 25 psi

had some problems with my greddy profec b not wanting to make more than 19 psi so we used a turbo XS MBC so i didnt waste time since i was on the clock lol.

i wanted to use some C16 but i put too much pump gas in this morning and had too much left in the tank. i will go back next time and try on race gas.

Setup as follows
B18C1
JE 9:1 pistons
Eagle rods
GE block guard
SC61
Full race style equal length manifold
Tial 38mm wastegate
31x12x3 intercooler
Presicion 880cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Stock FPR
Stock Fuel rail
3 in. downpipe
3 in. exhaust
MSD 6A
SS blaster coil
Stock OEM plug wires
1 Step colder plugs

Any comments welcome

Modified by NextelBuddy at 3:40 PM 5/28/2004
Old 05-28-2004, 02:16 PM

sweet
Old 05-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: just got back from latest tuning session 400 HP club yay (NextelBuddy)

Something is wrong dude, you don't make any boost until about 6000rpm's.

you also said your running "1 step colder plugs," are you running 6's? that is too hot of a plug for 25psi or 400whp.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just got back from latest tuning session 400 HP club yay (DIRep972)

25 PSI on 93 octane
Old 05-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Something is wrong dude, you don't make any boost until about 6000rpm's.

you also said your running "1 step colder plugs," are you running 6's? that is too hot of a plug for 25psi or 400whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope not 6's they are the Bkre7's one step colder.

and i dont understand how you see boost not kicking in till 6000 rpms because when i was there i watched the boost gauge and it boost kicked in at about 3800 rpms and reached full boost by 5800-6000 rpms. i saw in person what the gauge was reading and at what psi.
even on the street i can feel boost kick in at about 3800 rpms and it reaches full boost by 5800-6000 rpms
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">25 PSI on 93 octane </TD></TR></TABLE>

why the weird face? my tuner had the head phones on that can hear any knock or detonation and not once wasthere in pinging whatsoever or any knock what so ever. infact my engine is so quiet he can barely hear the valve train like springs and valves and he says usually he can hear the valve train noise and told me that the motor is running really well.

i have read many times on H-T that ist not how PSI you run that determines race gas or pump gas but rather how much power you are making. and in my case i plan on going back to run on race gas.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

25 psi on pump gas...you got big nards.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just got back from latest tuning session 400 HP club yay (NextelBuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NextelBuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why the weird face? my tuner had the head phones on that can hear any knock or detonation and not once wasthere in pinging whatsoever or any knock what so ever. infact my engine is so quiet he can barely hear the valve train like springs and valves and he says usually he can hear the valve train noise and told me that the motor is running really well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a difference between a low load situation on the dyno where you got one tank of fine pump gas, and a higher load situation on the street. At 25 psi it only takes one bad tank of gas and your motor is history. Personally if I drove the car on the street a lot I would back out of it some more for safetys sake. How much timing are you running?

Also, i'm assuming this was on an unported head? What IM? Any reason why you didn't spin the motor higher?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just got back from latest tuning session 400 HP club yay (boosted92)

the head is stock completely and im running the edlebrock intake manifold.

the only reason i dynoed up to 25 psi was because there was absolutly no knock or signs of detonation what so ever. i dont plan on running 25 psi on the street. but on the dyno of course im gonna push it to see how much i can squeeze out of it. the street is different i will run 18 psi on the street. at 18 psi i dynoed 385 so that is where ill keep it.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:21 PM

congrates on the nubers. I have the silver prelude next to the dyno. It will be getting tuned saturday. Gl with the car should be fun. I am jsut going to run 12psi until i get bigger than 550's. After that race gas and lots of boost here i come :D
Old 05-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bstlude)

yes i saw your car there. kevin showed me around and explained to me what was going on. your car is really nice and you will hav a lot of power. good luck with your setup
Old 05-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Smarter than you

@ 5000 rpm's your only making 120tq/125hp.. 120tq/125hp on a B18c1 is no boost.. Ive got SC61 dyno's where people are making 250whp @ 5000rpm. I don't understand how you saw boost there unless this dyno is reading way off.

Then from like 5600-6600 your torque just shoots up like crazy. 5600 rpm's and your making 140tq/160hp. You cannot tell me that you are boosting nicely there..
To me it looks like your turbo is just barely hitting you at 5600.. It spools up like crazy and then just falls off.. I realize the dyno is on a very vertical axis but you have no flat torque area at all..

please don't think I am trying to hate I just see something here that does not look right and id like to help you get it figured out.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:27 PM

Insread of calling BS,,, why not cvall the shop where he dynoed it at?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i see what you are saying. i dont understand it either.

could it have something to do with teh fact that the tuner did 4th gear pulls only and when he did it he started off in 2nd then swotched to 4th immediately and the rpms dropped to about 1500 rpms and he floored it?

also we were using my greddy profec b spec 2 and we could not make more than 18 psi no matter what we did so we switched to a turbo XS MBC ?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Smarter than you

Here are some SC61 dyno's I am sure you have seen...

23.5psi

25psi

10.5psi

look @ the power @ about 5000rpm.. All these guys are running SC61's on GSR's some are bigger bore then you but that won't change things too dramatically. They are all well into the 200's tq/hp wise @ that point.

I really have no idea if jumping gears on the dyno would cause this, but I don't imagine so.. If I were to make a bling guess id be willing to bet that you are missing a turbo-manifold bolt or have some kinda exhaust leak before the turbo.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well there is one bolt i cant get in all the way on my manifold because of the runner design but there are no carbon deposits anywhere nearthat bolt or the flange it is all clean there so i cant see any signs of a leak. i do have oen little leak on teh DP wher there is a missing bolt due ot a extrmne curve of the DP and the DP flange and i do see a tiny carbon deposit there but nothing extreme just a little tiny black smudge.

could i possibly have a boost leak some where in my intercooler piping? i didnt think i woudl becasue once boost reaches 25 psi it sticks there and does not fluctuate until the throttle is let go

would it have anything to do with that fact that i used a dyna pack that attaches to the hubs and not a dyno jet which uses rollers in the ground?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

direp is exactly correct, something is wrong, your not making much power until way up top.

wait, now looking at it, it says Fly wheel torque and hp. thats a lot different than WHP. maybe thats why, hrmm
Old 05-28-2004, 04:50 PM

Why no third?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just got back from latest tuning session 400 HP club yay (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">direp is exactly correct, something is wrong, your not making much power until way up top.

wait, now looking at it, it says Fly wheel torque and hp. thats a lot different than WHP. maybe thats why, hrmm</TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure why it says flywheel HP the dyna packs attach to the hubs so they shoudl still be reading WHP since they take the place of the wheels. the only thinng on a dynapack that i can see an advantage is no wheel spin since u dont have tires on a roller
Old 05-28-2004, 04:54 PM

No BS it made that power...

Shawn it Kevin. The car is actually in forth gear the whole time. You tell it what rpm to start at ,
what rpm to end at , and how long you want it to take to go from start to end. Then you can set a hold time at the start which I use 3 seconds just to allow the ecu and sensors to settle before the run begins.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well congrats on the numbers, but something is definately a bit fishy. If I were you I'd turn the boost down and double/triple check everything and have a local honda pro look over the tune and the setup before something bad happens. That is incredible (insane really) that an SC61 would push an honest 25psi on pump gas. That is unreal, but not if you go by the hp/tq figures. Who knows. Be careful and good luck! I'd hate to see something bad happen to all your hard work.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:57 PM

It says flywheel because the machine is built in new zealand and thats what the call whp for some reason?
Old 05-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (loud1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by loud1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It says flywheel because the machine is built in new zealand and thats what the call whp for some reason?</TD></TR></TABLE>

nah dont think thats it, im pretty sure dyno dynamic dynos are built down there as well, and dont confuse flywheel hp with wheel hp
Old 05-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Smarter than you

Im not saying its BS that it made that power. Honestly I think the set up has potential for much much more..

I don't think the dynopack is the problem. I wish it were that easy. The main issue is that there is no torque area.... At all.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at 18psi you made 385whp...and at 25psi you made 414.. Why only 30whp on a extra 7psi? I have the same set-up as you now (exactly the same) and will be tuning next week, my tuner said we should be making 500-520 on racegas. I will let you know when it's done.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by loud1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No BS it made that power...

Shawn it Kevin. The car is actually in forth gear the whole time. You tell it what rpm to start at ,
what rpm to end at , and how long you want it to take to go from start to end. Then you can set a hold time at the start which I use 3 seconds just to allow the ecu and sensors to settle before the run begins. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hey kevin whats up. yea thanx for today. i never really paid attention to when boost kicked in. its weird i cant figure out why the graph shows me notmaking any boost until 6000 rpms. on teh street it feels different. maybe there is something wrong with my setup that i am over looking. although i made 414 peak HP and 292 peak tq according to the graph thats just it peak numbers and my car isnt making any mid range power. i am going to think hard and long on what it couldbe this will bother me for some time lol. im sure its something to do with my setup

Quick Reply: just got back from latest tuning session 400 HP club yay