Notices

Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold..

I have to have the car running in less than 2 days.. figures this would happen.

I go to bolt up my pretty new BLOX mani that everybody seems to rave about, only I came across one major issue, the manifold doesn't FIT with a tial WG on it! Instead the WG hits the valve cover and keeps either side of the manifold about a pinky width away from the head.. beautiful.

Has anybody esle had this issue with the BLOX cast on a B-series? And if so, is there a solution other than spending more $$ on a WG elbow and new dump tube? I mean if that's the only solution (and it certainly appears to be) then so be it, just sucks that nobody mentioned this before I bought it!!
Old 11-20-2004, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (VTC_CiViC)

my mani puts the compresser side of the turbinei nto my block. I feel your pain. It actually makes the tube that holds the filter need to go into the clutch line and tranny. It points the turbo in the wrong direction

Feels your pain

Modified by Si Shane at 11:01 AM 11/21/2004
Old 11-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (Si Shane)

mine doesn't hit the valve cover, it coems pretty damn close but it still clears on my LS Motor.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1043017&page=1

this may help check this thread out.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bserieskllr)

You'll need a waste gate elbow. Alot of manis do. Even the Inline Pro mani has to be used with an elbow in certain chassis/motor combos.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:42 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (jfoster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll need a waste gate elbow. Allot of manifolds do. Even the Inline Pro mani has to be used with an elbow in certain chassis/motor combos.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ahhh... That is Bull ****! Yes some people need the 45 to clear the hood but he should not have to buy anything to make it clear the damm motor!
I would return it to BLOX immediately! That is a design flaw and it needs to be corrected! I am not even 100% sure a 45 would clear the motor since it will still sit as close just to the right or left!
Old 11-20-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (VTC_CiViC)

do a lil grinding and youll be alright... quad-damge's lil bro is using this manifold. comes very close i agree. but he didnt do any grinding on his b16 and it all works out etcc.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (project dc2)

So, some are hitting and some aren't? That is design inconsistency . I won't knock the mani. yet, since I don't have any personal experience with it but, post up some pics so we can see for ourselves.

Phil
Old 11-20-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (hondaguyef)

There is always some inconsistancy in casting. perhaps your flange is a little bit thinner or the WG flange was machined at a slight angle.

I could see a few fixes. First would be to use a thick gasket on the head or the WG or both. Second would be to angle mill the WG flange slightly. Third would be to clearance the WG or valvecover. In all likelyhood, it will probably take some combination of the above to get it to fit, and hopefully the dumptube will still fit afterwards.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (hondaguyef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, some are hitting and some aren't? That is design inconsistency . I won't knock the mani. yet, since I don't have any personal experience with it but, post up some pics so we can see for ourselves.

Phil</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should see the casting on Drag and RevHard manifolds. The blox casting is super clean, even better than the inline pros casting. Im not sure about the fitment issues but its probably a design issue if anything.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (Alchemist)

this is great news

oh well time to order my w/g elbow
Old 11-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (M.A.R.C.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M.A.R.C. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is great news

oh well time to order my w/g elbow</TD></TR></TABLE>

same...
Old 11-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (JDM S1eeper)

well i actually tried to bolt up the manifold and w/g to the head (the motor is out of the car at a friend's house)... it fits fine. kinda close. but no need to shave anything off the head or run an elbow. maybe it's casting difference as someone mentioned. Just for reference, this is on a b18b head with the older ls valve covers
Old 11-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (M.A.R.C.)

when i put mine on the fitting of the wastegate determined which way it was set. if the dumptube area was facing the head then it didnt work. it would only fit if it the dumptube was facing the front of the car.

if anyone needs a dumptube i have one for sale brand new
Old 11-21-2004, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (project dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do a lil grinding and youll be alright... quad-damge's lil bro is using this manifold. comes very close i agree. but he didnt do any grinding on his b16 and it all works out etcc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep it works good, the placment is a good spot for a wastegate on the runners, we didn't grind it, but it is touching the block, just put it on before hand, and when u bolt on the manifold, it will go into place and be all good

make sure u also move the wastegate the right way, so u don't have the connector going into the back of the block, we took that dam manifold off like 6 times, during the install i did for him, Philips pipes = NICE!
Old 11-21-2004, 10:13 PM
On Fire!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You should see the casting on Drag and RevHard manifolds. The blox casting is super clean, even better than the inline pros casting. Im not sure about the fitment issues but its probably a design issue if anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah nice casting!! Its just a design flaw, thats it thou just a design flaw...

On another note...
I love how people rant and rave on this forum about a product being so tight without any actuall experiance with it. Than they let other people use it and figure out the mistake or flaw in the product from someone else. Than they just turn around and bash it.. hehe oh well..
Old 11-22-2004, 06:01 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (newgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
On another note...
I love how people rant and rave on this forum about a product being so tight without any actuall experiance with it. Than they let other people use it and figure out the mistake or flaw in the product from someone else. Than they just turn around and bash it.. hehe oh well..</TD></TR></TABLE>
Are you refering to me???
Because I am the only one really bashing it on this thread....
I NEVER raved about this manifold and personally expected it to be over hyped
But then again, I see NOTHING special about the inlinepro manifold that every ones loves sooo much Overrated IMO!
I was very happy with my revhard manifold back in the day. No cracks or creeps at 360hp
Drag on the other hand....
Old 11-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (si2die4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si2die4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But then again, I see NOTHING special about the inlinepro manifold that every ones loves sooo much Overrated IMO! I was very happy with my revhard manifold back in the day. No cracks or creeps at 360hp
Drag on the other hand.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't think he was refering to you specifically but the usual H-T Bandwagoning that goes on from time to time. Screw that though i was bandwagonning this like hell because of the price and the apparent quality. Mine fit up fine with a 38mm tial but I have yet to bolt up the turbo and downpipe and put it to use.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:13 AM
On Fire!

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (si2die4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by si2die4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But then again, I see NOTHING special about the inlinepro manifold that every ones loves sooo much Overrated IMO!
I was very happy with my revhard manifold back in the day. No cracks or creeps at 360hp
Drag on the other hand.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not refering to you at all, just all of these other clowns talking big..

N btw I personally use the inline pro manifold and with the power and boost I push threw it I have never has a single problem with it.. No leaks, no warping, no spikes.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:28 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally use the inline pro manifold and with the power and boost I push threw it I have never has a single problem with it.. No leaks, no warping, no spikes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I dont see many problems with the manifold.. Just overrated IMO..
If you get it for a good price there is no question its better than revhard and drag!
For reference, I don’t think inlinepro (the shop) does all that great of work. That is just MO and I am sure they don’t treat everyone equal!! (so I am a tad biased but they don’t physically produce the manifold so it only plays a VERY small role IMO)
Old 11-22-2004, 06:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not refering to you at all, just all of these other clowns talking big..

N btw I personally use the inline pro manifold and with the power and boost I push threw it I have never has a single problem with it.. No leaks, no warping, no spikes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bro, youre the one talking big. Everyone is just voicing their opinion. A cast manifold is nothing special. With a cast manifold your just looking to see if it fits well, doesnt spike, and doesnt crack. This manifold is $300, has a lifetime warranty against cracking, has a centrally located wastegate port, and seems to fit well in most cases. So I think that the Blox is a great cast manifold compared to the others on the market. The only thing that compares is the inline pro, which is about $200 more.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:16 AM
On Fire!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and seems to fit well in most cases. So I think that the Blox is a great cast manifold compared to the others on the market. The only thing that compares is the inline pro, which is about $200 more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Naa Bro, I talk experiance not the bullshit these clowns are claiming, seeming to fit and really fitting good every time is a big difference in the casting process.
If they make manifolds that don't fit they sure as hell will have maifolds crack.
You get what u pay for in this game.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Naa Bro, I talk experiance not the bullshit these clowns are claiming, seeming to fit and really fitting good every time is a big difference in the casting process.
If they make manifolds that don't fit they sure as hell will have maifolds crack.
You get what u pay for in this game.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not saying you're wrong but not everyone has to spend nor needs to spend $1200 on a manifold to play in this game. Hell not everyone HAS all that $$$ to spend. i'm sure most of us here are intelligent enough people to realize that quality is somewhat dependent on price... that doesn't mean anything cheap isn't worth spending the $$$ on. For a manifold at this price... i'd gladly shave a lil off the head or buy a w/g elbow to make it work. i'd rather do that than have to spend $800+ on a manifold just to avoid a simple fitment issue (as if there aren't ALWAYS issues when modifying cars). It's the same with the whole OBX/SS Autochrome crap. People know it's downfalls, and people knock it but I know two people who have been running them for a while without issues. One person braced his and modified it (i don't think it cost him anythign because he has access to welding tools). The other just wanted a lil more outta the car and didnt' want to have to spend $5000 for a turbo kit to so. Not knocking anyone personally but I see a lot of people always trying to over-do it, when it's not practical nor necessary. [/end rant]
Old 11-22-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold.. (slow poke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You are just wrong there buddy There are a few "compairable" manifolds to the blox not just inline pro!</TD></TR></TABLE>

What other manifolds for $300, have a lifetime warranty against cracking, centrally located wastegate port, clean casting.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn.... and i was just gonna order one. Any reviews from 99-00 si folks? Fitment issues on this chassis ?

Quick Reply: Just found a nice flaw with the BLOX manifold..