Notices

just a few quick catch tank Q's..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a few quick catch tank Q's..

guys im in the process of making my breather kit for my b18c and have a couple of questions..

im planning on running a breather setup without the drain back, so the hole is going to be blocked up.

i will use the 2 holes that are currently blocked up with the big allen key fittings, drill them out and weld -10jic fittings to them and route them to the catch tank..

but there is one more breather on the rear of the block, the one that used to go into the black box which is like a 3/8 size hose.. what do you guys do with that one, route that to the catch tank aswell?? if so does anyone know what thread size that hole is, as i will see about getting a male-male adaptor so i can run -10jic from that hole aswell..

so in total i route 3 hoses to the tank?? (i will have a seperate tank for the rocker breather)

also, im just wondering how quick the catch tank takes to fill up? ive had turbo cars before with catch tank setups and they hardly got much oil in at all..

your thoughts please guys - dan
Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: just a few quick catch tank Q's..

W/o a drain, and using the fittings that tend to get draining head oil in them, it may fill up fast. I'd only suggest the VC locations or that OEM nipple (black box) if you are going w/o a drain to the block. It really depends on how your head drains, and how much blowby you have.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran an L fitting from the black box into my catch can because thats what was suggested to me by my tuner.

Also, it really depends on the motors condition and how much blow by you have that will determine how fast the tank will fill up. Its a good thing if it doesnt fill up super fast.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbodailydan

i will use the 2 holes that are currently blocked up with the big allen key fittings, drill them out and weld -10jic fittings to them and route them to the catch tank..

but there is one more breather on the rear of the block, the one that used to go into the black box which is like a 3/8 size hose.. what do you guys do with that one, route that to the catch tank aswell?? if so does anyone know what thread size that hole is, as i will see about getting a male-male adaptor so i can run -10jic from that hole aswell..
most people plug the hole where the black box was. B&R and z10 both make a fitting for it. Or use a freeze plug (34.3mm i think). you can also get fittings for the allen plugs to adapter to -10, no welding involved. Check out B R Fittings on here, he's got everything you need.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm.. decsions.. any more input from people with this setup?

basicly just need to know how quick the catch tank may fill up, as ive heard different things..

oh and the engine is a fresh rebuild.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any more input?

and why has nobody mentioned the 3rd breather on the back of the block, the 3/8 union that sits towards the top of the motor, which goes into the black box, along side the pcv hose..

dan
Old 08-03-2009, 02:50 PM
HT White Ops

If your talking about the fitting that runs to the top of the black box it gets plugged when running a catch can. There is no need for it, its useless. Its there so that the black box has a way to breathe.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ah thanks mate, i dont suppose you happen to know what size and thread it is do you? so i can get a blanking plug. thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

see my response in your other thread. remove the black box and plug the hole. it isnt threaded. you need a freeze plug or aluminum plug from B&R/z10
Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok ive decided to to a breather setup with a drain back..

one last question, does the size of the catch tank really matter if your running a drain back? as theres not going to be much oil stored in it, with it be able to return to the motor..

something like this up to the job, if i weld a return to the bottom..?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im sure the size of the can would work but IMO the hose fittings are too small. we run -10AN line. also you want baffling inside the can to help seperate the oil vapors