Notices

junkyard diesel turbos

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default junkyard diesel turbos

i was wondering if anybody knew what kind and size of turbos they put on diesel trucks from the factory. powerstroke,duramax, cummins, what about one of these for a junkyard build? also what about a grand national turbo w/ different exhaust housing? can i use any of these?
Old 05-09-2003, 01:41 PM

Default Re: junkyard diesel turbos (turbodGSR)

I have a friend currently useing a cummins turbo on his prelude and loves it. I am tired right now but if you want more info just ask and I will try to post it tommorow.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: junkyard diesel turbos (Ladysman721)

bump
Old 05-11-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diesel turbos are not the best choice due to the differences between the engine designs. RPM range difference, maximum boost differences, wheel sizes, displacement differences, etc. A turbo is a turbo is a turbo....but the turbo map is not always able to work well on two vastly different engines. IMO
**I'm just saying that it is probably more work than you would like to undertake**

As for the Cummins turbo working on the Prelude. That is interesting, I'd like to know more specifics.
Was it a ISB or ISC Holset turbo?
What rpm is boost beginning to build?
What is the max boost being achived efficently?

Old 05-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: junkyard diesel turbos (SLPR)

i have a extra .63a/r turbine housing and a buddy has a to4 of a grand national. can't afford precision and i dislike turbonetics/garret customer support.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at a turbo from a Mercedes Benz turbo diesel and it was definitely not what you'd want on a high revving engine. It was a Garrett T3.

Specs were:
.36 a/r turbine housing
Stage 2 turbine
50 trim compressor wheel
.42 a/r compressor housing

Basically, that setup is designed to hit really hard very early in the RPM band and will totally fall on its face above 5000 rpm or so. If you took that same turbo apart and swapped in a .48 a/r housing or a .63 housing, you might have something...

Sonny
Old 05-11-2003, 12:27 PM

they are usually garret and they are nice
Old 05-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: junkyard diesel turbos (QCKGSR)

my buddy has a powerstroke and it has a big *** garret turbo on it. just don't know what it is?
Old 05-12-2003, 04:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my buddy has a powerstroke and it has a big *** garret turbo on it. just don't know what it is?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Depends on which MY Powerstroke:
94-02 MY will be a GT38, GTP38, GT37 family Garrett
03+ is a totally different Garrett turbo EVRT

I doubt our Honda engines will swing a 1.15A/R turbine very well. I'd still like to see the specs on the Cummins turbo on a Prelude posted up. Honestly I bet it is BS. Even if it is true I willing to bet that it does not work well. Prove me wrong
Old 05-12-2003, 04:01 AM

Default Re: junkyard diesel turbos (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I looked at a turbo from a Mercedes Benz turbo diesel and it was definitely not what you'd want on a high revving engine. It was a Garrett T3.
Specs were:
.36 a/r turbine housing
Stage 2 turbine
50 trim compressor wheel
.42 a/r compressor housing
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like specs for the S400 cDi sedan (non-USDM)??
Old 05-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Powerstroke GTP38 works well on Muffstank 5.0 looking for ~450 hp. Too big for small displacement import crap.

FYI, the Holset HX35 would be the turbo being discussed on the Prelude. It does work well, as do all diesel turbos in the correct gasoline application. Welcome to last year. I've got an HY35W on the way, gotta love the 9 cm^2 exhaust housing. :&gt;
Old 05-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: junkyard diesel turbos (J. Davis)

I was browsing the other day at the junkyard, and I noticed a few diesels as well. Except they were BIG *******, like dinner-plate sized. I took some measurements, and they looked like the compressor housing/wheel would bolt to my T4 center section...should I even bother? They were like .80 spec-wise...
only thing is, they want $$$ for the turbos, which will never be used up here. Oh well, maybe Ill just try it anyway
oh ya, some were dual-inlet...they looked schweet...
Old 05-12-2003, 10:24 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Powerstroke GTP38 works well on Muffstank 5.0 looking for ~450 hp.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Interesting I was never awhere of that. Although, I'd never let one of these Garrett turbos touch any of my engines. Garrett performance turbos and Garrett OEM turbos are two different animals.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLPR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interesting I was never awhere of that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hop on the jyturbo @ yahoogroups mailing list, they have all sortsd of good knowledge about perverting OEM turbos to street (lol) car use.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLPR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Although, I'd never let one of these Garrett turbos touch any of my engines. Garrett performance turbos and Garrett OEM turbos are two different animals.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I guess that's why most 5.0 Muffstank with twin .60 trim T3s off of SVOs and Thunderchickens only run low 11s to high 10's. Bryan Sharer hit 9.97 with the dual .60 trim... Mike Sitar's best was 10.3 or so, I forget.

I think the difference between Garret performance turbos and Garrett OEM turbos that you can't put into words is the big honking T4 compressor wheel. I don't mean to be a jackass, but simply put turbos work. If you don't properly match the turbo to the application, then your results won't compare to anyone whose turbo is correctly sized. Regular OEM T3 work GREAT for certain applications, as I've demonstrated. It has nothing to do with an OEM T3 being substandard. It has to do with using the correct tool for the job. They are merely OK street turbos for B-series applications, and solid turbos for D-series setups.

There is a reason I'm ditching my T3 for a HY35. I plan on having a blown up 35K mile B18B by the end of the year. I expect the pictures of the wreckage to be very impressive.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:17 PM

I following you J. Davis and I do not disgreguard that OEM turbos can make good performance turbos at a reduced cost. I also fully agree that the turbo has to match the job to work well.
What I was getting at is, I'd never deal with putting any of the OEM diesel Garrett on any engine that I spent more than 5 minutes to put together. Garrett makes (I mean manages the manufacture) of some decent turbos. Unfortunatly they are horrible suppilers ands unfortunatly have the "inflated head' syndrome.
Strictly my opinion Yes, but try getting one of those GTP38 or GT37's to sustain heavy use.....well then we can disscuss.
I'll have a look at the link (Thanks, I'm sure it will be interesting reading ) Although I am curious how they adapted the turbo oil inlets and outlets from the pedestal mount to anything useful for anything but a Powerstroke.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure the logistics of fitment or longevity of one of the GTP38, never paid very close attention as it wasn't suitable for my use. There are a couple guys with firsthand knowledge on the list though, asking for "SuperfastLX" would probably net you the best results.

Thanks for putting up with me.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:29 PM

Thanks, I will definetly check it out

**after doing some checking on this subject I thought I would suggest some warning that a turbo manufacturer engineer relayed to me**

There are considerable differences between the oil seals on a gasoline turbo -vs- a diesel turbo. Basically put the shaft seals on a diesel turbo are not as aggressive in terms of sealing as a gasoline turbo seals. This may lead to premature oil seepage into the turbine or compressor.

I always keep in mind that using a part designed for another application may come at a lower cost but will certainly have some drawbacks. Compromise is the key, how much are you willing to compromise???

Again, I'm sure there are plenty of examples out there of gas engines running diesel turbos....I just wanted to make awhere this factoid.....

Modified by SLPR at 7:33 PM 5/21/2003
Old 05-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so pretty much the answer is no. a lot of the mustang guys are runnng big single junkyard turbos so i thought it would work with hondas.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GN turbo would be your answer... not. GN boys think they are gold, even when they are unbolting them to swap in something that makes real power. You can get cheaper used T3/4E, which is about what those GN turbos are.

Try a Holset off a Cummins Dodge. I know the HX35 spools at 2500 rpms on a pretty worked over low buck 2.3 SVO, if it's turbine housing is too big you can always go for the automatic's HY35. The HY35 has the same compressor, but the turbine housing is the smaller 9 cm^2, equivalent of a .70 AR. I kinda didn't want to hand out my junkyard secret weapon, but there you go.

FYI, HY35 is really HY35W, meaning it comes with an internal wastegate built into the turbine housing. That keeps you from being able to fully clock it, creates fitment issues, and most of you guys turn up your noses at internal wastegates. Buyer beware.

There are other options... netsearch BTN and turbos, they are europe's largest source for turbos for cars and trucks and construction equipment. They have an online catalog in .pdf format you might find very interesting - they come with Garrett (and IHI and Holset and KKK and Schwitzer) PNs so you can order cheaply from a diesel turbo shop whatever you want, and the catalog gives breakdowns of the various engine displacements. What comes on cars and trucks varies a bit between USDM, JDM, and EDM, but the construction equipment (in my experience) is pretty standardized. Hint hint.

Diesel turbo sizing tends to have them on the "peaky" side for the displacement they are fitted to. People ASSume they spool low, but they are designed for steady state operation, more or less, and a restrictive exhaust housing would cost power and fuel efficiency. JY rule of thumb is a 10 liter diesel redlining at 3K has a turbo that fits pretty well on a 5 liter V8 redlinging at 6K. Happy hunting.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

decisions, decisions....
Old 05-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

J. thanks for sharin