Notices

jrsc problems with new fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jrsc problems with new fuel pump

Okay, here's a stumper for all you honda guru's out there.

I finished installing my new Holley 255lph fuel pump into a 96 jrsc powered GSR. Unfortunately, I had to cut my fuel sending unit yesterday because it had a pinhole that was pissing out fuel when the pump was energized. In doing so, I rendered the quick connect useless. I went to a local auto parts store and bought a small mandrel so I could connect the factory plastic 1/4" line to a rubber hose, and back to the sending unit. The inside diameter of the mandrel is smaller than the ID of the factory fuel line, as the mandrel has to fit inside of the plastic line.

but hold on there's more...

The problem is that my power drops off significantly after 7000 rpm. Could it be that the mandrel is too small to let enough fuel through and timing is being retarded due to lean conditions?

No more than 2 weeks ago, I pulled 200 whp. Now it feels slower than stock at high rpm's.

My next question is can I replace the whole plastic line with a rubber fuel line?

If anyone can help me, I know honda-tech can.
Thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2001, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jrsc problems with new fuel pump (hypa)

I'm going to replace the factory POS line anyway, I'm just looking for some support here.

Anyone ever had a similar problem here?
Any ideas?!?
Old 10-03-2001, 02:46 PM
Trial User

Default Re: jrsc problems with new fuel pump (hypa)

sorry, but you wont find many s/c guys here.. most have dumped them and went turbo in search of more power. I know that replacing that line will be better inthe long run.. sometimes the lines they supply you wonder why they didnt get sued for such crappy stuff...

try http://www.hostboard.com i think most of those guys are S/C'd and have experience with probelsm associated with them...

fuel pump... i used an inline and used air compressor brass repair kits to extend my fuel line.. using the correct size with the hose to extend them to the pump and to the fuel rail. Make sure you have the largest fitting that will gitin the hose.. without crushing the inside sticking the fitting in... My inline pump works great.. i'll post pics of my "ghetto" mod once i get my camera to give up the goodies...

-jake
Old 10-03-2001, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jrsc problems with new fuel pump (GSRwBOOST)

thanks jake, I appreciate the link.

I'm pretty sure the mandrel is too thin too allow high fuel pressures to flow. I'll be replacing the line. If that doesn't work, I'm baffled.
The thing is that the car was able to pull a 40' patch and is super strong at low rpm's. It's after 7000 rpm that I have problems.