Notices

JRSC Prelude Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default JRSC Prelude Problems

Installed a JRSC kit on a friends 01 Prelude SH. Using all the Jackson Racing components and nothing else. This includes the JR FMU and EMS.

The car drives fine cruising (light throttle, vacuum) and idles fine. But hard throttle and the car bucks, hesitates, has no power and sounds likes it wants to blow up. Cant get past 0psi manifold pressure cant even get into vtec unless you keep the throttle angle real low.

Having double checked the engine side of things and reinstalled the blower several times, Im confident that area is correct. Using the JR FMU, is set to the proper static fuel pressure of 70psi with vac hose disconnected. Fuel pressure rises with manifold pressure up to 100psi like it should.

Im convinced this is a wiring issue with the JR EMS. Ive contacted Jackson Racing for help. Keith gave me a few things to try. I tried using a different ground for the EMS. The MAP wires are a problem area Ive heard. Ive quadrople checked all the wires and even soldered every connection. Everything looks right as I can see.

This kit is supposed to work as is. I really dont want to have my friend drop another grand for hondata and tuning. This is not one of those issues, something is broken here. I need serious help figuring out what it is.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: JRSC Prelude Problems (Muckman)

Here is a real short video of a quick stab of the gas in 1st gear. It shows a fuel gauge on the left and a boost gauge on the right. If you turn it up you can hear how the engine is not smooth sounding. Dyuring this time I am holding the throttle in one position steady, about 50%. The large movement in the camera is caused by the bucking of the car.

Old 04-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh...the "Im trying to boost but something wont let me!" deep whine from the JRSC...I dont miss that mild whine at all

Is the bypass valve hooked up properly?
Old 04-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: JRSC Prelude Problems (newgsrdriver)

The bypass valve isnt hard to hook up properly. All it needs is a vac source from top of the throttle body which it has.

Ive gone over the vaccum lines 4 or 5 times. I think everything is right. I guess what I should be asking is what could cause the car to buck and hesitate so voilently?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you running that JR MAP controller?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: JRSC Prelude Problems (Its Just a CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Its Just a CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you running that JR MAP controller?</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's part of the included electronics for the Prelude kit.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: JRSC Prelude Problems (Its Just a CRX)

By MAP controller do you mean the JR EMS? I am using the Engine Management System that was included with the kit. It controls the MAP signal, as well as ignition. Its basically a hack.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Re: JRSC Prelude Problems (sharkcohen)

Brian, I emailed you back. You is that you have to make sure that the MAP wiring is absolutely correct. If the ATTS light is still coming on then the wiring probably isn't correct.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: JRSC Prelude Problems (sharkcohen)

I absolutely agree Dave. Im going to take alot of detailed pics of my wiring. Maybe someone can debug it because it looks exact to me.

The diagrams in the instructions could be more clear.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:32 AM
Moderator in Chief

This has been resolved. Figured out that the MAP sensor was not getting the right vacuum source. The engine would get boost but the MAP sensor would not see it.