Notices

JRSC GSR header options

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRSC GSR header options

I have a gsr with a JRSC LHT intercooled unit.
I have done plenty of research and reading. But damn all of the info out there is so old!! Especially when I'm reading about header choices for these builds. I understand that once apon a time the 2 main header choices for this build were DC sport and the kamikaze.

But these days there are so many more affordable options. Does anyone know how newer headers that are very popular today may compete with these seemingly ancient ancestors? (to be more specific, any of the PLM replica choices including the toda, rmf, smsp and so on)
Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: JRSC GSR header options

The two most important features on a header needed when used on a JRSC application are a 2.5" collector and large diameter, short primary tubes. This means that most of the PLM "replica" choices that you mentioned will work ok, but will not out perform that ancient Kamakazi !!! Stay away from "narrow" designs and all long tube 4-1 designs. Since nobody actually makes a production "short" 4-1 header like the Kamakazi, choose something in the 4-2-1 design to get the shortest primary tubes. My suggestion would be the Skunk2 Alpha if you are looking at today's offerings.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the insight man. I have read many times about the jrsc unit loving the short primarys. But I must be honest, I have never seen the kamikaze header tested against any other header of value besides the DC. I currently have the PLM toda rep. And would love to see some dyno comparisons of the kamikaze vs anything else.
Any idea where this could be found?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my car dyno'd with two different exhaust system's:

1st: Type R header and 2.5" exhaust

2nd: Kamikaze header and 2.75" exhaust

Result: 2nd setup added 30whp and 10ft/lbs tq

I think I bought the last new Kamikaze header two years ago on ebay. It was a 1.75" collector which I had to cut off and fab up a 2.5" collector.

I have heard of people using turbo manifolds and blocking off the area where the turbo fits up with a plate.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea last year I went from a 2.5 to a 3" exhaust without change the header and gained 12whp all motor. So I could definitely see you getting a good amount from that and a header with boost. But it anyone knows of any direct dyno comparisons between the kamikaze and other common used headers like the PLM line or some try-y's. Or hell if someone wants to send me a kamikaze I'll do the test myself this spring! Lol
Old 02-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's been well proven.... On a dyno... Short runner headers make the most power on a supercharged motor. Go read the gigantic jrsc thread that's on the same page.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not saying it wouldn't be a good read. But that thread has almost 18500 posts in it.. I don't think I would be labeled as lazy If I said I don't have the kind of time. Lol but if you knew of any specifics I'd love to hear about / see them! I can't be the only one wondering about this