Notices

jrsc on b16

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jrsc on b16

I have searched around, and there dont seem to be all that many people running this setup. Why is that? From what i hear, they are reliable and provide instant boost giving us 1.6 and 1.8 boys much needed low rpm torque. I know they are limited by the amount of boost you can pull off them, but for a DD, do you really need more that 10lbs? I am planning on swapping in a b16 obd2 (stupid NY plug in inspectioins) out of a 99-00 Si this summer, provided i find one where ever i may be living for a price i can afford. I was planning on putting on the jrsc at the same time as the swap. Am i completely crazy or is what im saying make sense? Remember, i dont go to the track every, i just want sum pep in my DD for the ocassional 0-60 redlight sprint against whoever may have been next to me. Am i looking at the right setup? Also i dont really want to go turbo, so please try to avoid telling me supers suck, turbos are king etc. Any advise from people running this setup or something similiar is what im looking for.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: jrsc on b16 (blkeksedan)

it should put at least 75-80hp to the wheels. it should be nice to have a lot of power to the pedal, specially on a b16. it probably is the best option for a DD and specially if you wanna keep that car pass the smog test if you guys even have that there but theres always ways around that. i know you dont wanna hear anything about turbos but that route is more flexable. you have alot more choices cause i can guarantee you'll have more thirst for power that and turbo can be a great DD too. just my .02
Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: jrsc on b16 (blkeksedan)

I ran that setup for a couple of years on my DD and it worked well ('99 Si B16A2, 11 PSI). I made well over 200 WHP with it (don't remember the exact number, but think it was around 225) and the car was a lot of fun and pretty quick, faster than most V6 or V8 cars out there. The big problem for me was running more than 6 PSI without using some type of non-OBD2 engine management solution, because even with all of the JR piggyback add-ons it still wouldn't handle 10-11 PSI (and I've got the busted pistons to prove it). In NC we have the same kind of OBD2 plug-in inspection, so I ended up going with Hondata (after I replaced the pistons)and just soldering an extra set of injector clips onto my wiring harness (although there's somebody that makes an OBD2-OBD1 injector adapter that would probably be cleaner). Then every year I'd put my OEM ECU and injecors back in the car, wire my bypass valve open so it wouldn't make any boost, and drive it around for a day like that until all my ready indicators were set in my ECU (bought a cheap OBD2 code reader at a local auto parts store so I could check the codes). Then I'd get it inspected and go home and put the RC injectors and Hondata back in it for another 364 days until I had to get it inspected again. The only other problem I had was autocrossing it, and the extra low-end torque made it really hard to keep from spinning my inside wheel when cornering, so I saved up my $ and bought a Quaife LSD for it, which fixed that problem.