Notices

JRSC and adjustable cam gears question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JRSC and adjustable cam gears question

Hello friends,
I have been doing a lot of research lately on what all I need to make the most power from my soon to be supercharged b16. I am going to be using a gsr intake cam and an itr exhaust cam. Initially I wanted to get adjustable cam gears because ive read that the jrsc set up benefit from cam timing adjustments. But after reading a few horror stories I'm not so sure.
Basically I'd like some advice/input on whether or not I should get adjustable cam gears to dial in the cam timing or if I should just stick with stock gears to be safe.
Also what would the power difference be approximately between the two options?
Old 03-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: JRSC and adjustable cam gears question

Originally Posted by bigjon1378
Hello friends,
I have been doing a lot of research lately on what all I need to make the most power from my soon to be supercharged b16. I am going to be using a gsr intake cam and an itr exhaust cam. Initially I wanted to get adjustable cam gears because ive read that the jrsc set up benefit from cam timing adjustments. But after reading a few horror stories I'm not so sure.
Basically I'd like some advice/input on whether or not I should get adjustable cam gears to dial in the cam timing or if I should just stick with stock gears to be safe.
Also what would the power difference be approximately between the two options?
I would just leave the gears stock. This will be up to your tuner to decide if he or she thinks you will benefit from cam timing adjustments. Most reputable tunners won't even touch your cam gears unless they know the motor has been properly degreed. I think when i tuned my JRSC the tuner didn't even adjust the gears.

Last edited by wunfstgsr; 03-09-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
I would just leave the gears stock. This will be up to your tuner to decide if he or she thinks you will benefit from cam timing adjustments. Most reputable runners won't even touch your cam gears unless they know the motor has been properly degreed. I think when i tuned my JRSC the tuner didn't even adjust the gears.
Thank you for the input. I just keep reading that they really benefit from cam adjustments so I'm kinda on the fence
Old 03-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tuner never adjusted the cam gears either. I even brought the car in with a cut valve cover to make it easy. I assumed there was no reason too so I didn't think twice about it.