Notices

Is this a joke ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a joke ?

Did anyone know that China is now producing there own Ball bearing turbocharger's ? I was sent this link today by a friend that couldn't stop laughing at it : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT35R-GT35...item35b56e8431

I mean, this is getting past a joke now... How the hell are they even capable of designing & assembling this sort of technology... So i guess the question is how long will this piece of sh*t actually last & who will be the first idiot to actually buy one ?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is this a joke ?

Chinese knock offs are serious business.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rich7777
How the hell are they even capable of designing & assembling this sort of technology...
Is this a joke?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i could have sworn these have been in the market for a while.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kaiba
Is this a joke?
Sort of, more of a **** take...
Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the coolant passages probably leak water into the oil passages of the turbo over time LOL.

Most things have the ability to be copied. the chinese have gotten good at it especially since americans outsource just about everything to china
Old 12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually, I'd love to see one of these taken completely apart and do a side by side with a real Garrett unit and see what the differences are..
Old 12-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m3tech95
actually, I'd love to see one of these taken completely apart and do a side by side with a real Garrett unit and see what the differences are..
Says 500 HP max? Guess they already know this junk will make less then the real thing.

Should be called "failure rating"... If you go over 500 HP be prepared to bend over and accept the 600$ loss
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for the price i'd rather buy a genuine journal bearing garrett
Old 12-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there's plenty of people standing in line to buy "cheaper" ebay turbo's, turbo kits, knock off wg's, bov's and so on. nothing new.

some people want kudo's for going cheap. i'd rather buy used and piece a kit together then trust e-bay.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm absolutely baffled by it.. Specially with there track record with journal bearing turbo's and now they decide to step up to ball bearing units... Come on now, honestly this is hilarious. What will the ball bearings be made out of ? Plastic ?

Last edited by rich7777; 12-21-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It has been done before and the results are always the same. I did it once actually. Crap blade material, crap housings, crap internals including cheap *** ballbearings....... total Crap. These dont come balanced so..... Everything is just mass produced. This is the same as GodSpeed and all the "Ebay" **** turbines. The knockoff turbine I had was 1 journal and 1 ball bearing. Maybe these are double BB? I dont know and I dont care. Its all garbage. Any turbo can spit out at 10psi. But put them at 30psi everyday and you will see the difference.

Once I changed turbos from a knockoff to Mac's STC Reaper, the difference was close to 100+ whp. So there u have it :D
Old 12-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I need one of these. One of the big ones. Well actually, lets make it two; and harry I need it by tonight.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol
Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread is a joke...period.

turbocharger technology is well over 100 years old, and it blows your mind that that someone out there reverse engineered a 30yr old design of a ball bearing center section and then paid someone else to mass produce them in a chinese factory for a fraction of the price that it costs us here in the states??? the only thing thats a joke in this thread is the ignorance/brandwagoning that seems so prevalent on these forums.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jasmine1
I need one of these. One of the big ones. Well actually, lets make it two; and harry I need it by tonight.
HAHAHAHHA, Classic
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasmine1
Lol this was a,good one.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You think everything really made in USA? A lot of stuff are all manufactured in China... then just assembled in North America or elsewhere. Is not hard for Chinese to copy the parts and then just put it together... After all, Chinese are like the God of copying/knock-off. LOL

I'm azn myself, and I'm skeptical about buying stuff made in China lol
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fast2camciv

turbocharger technology is well over 100 years old, and it blows your mind that that someone out there reverse engineered a 30yr old design of a ball bearing center section and then paid someone else to mass produce them in a chinese factory for a fraction of the price that it costs us here in the states??? the only thing thats a joke in this thread is the ignorance/brandwagoning that seems so prevalent on these forums.
this.
Honda-Tech Member

To me it does "blow my mind" but then again i'm no expert on turbochargers/there history & thats probably why. This is new to me and i wanted to know what other's knew about them and have a bit of a laugh at the same time. Thats why i started this thread.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And this ^ is the reason why I want to see them side by side... all these posts and not one of them have actually tested them out/ dismantled them to even attempt to prove they aRe in fact crap... so much stuff is made in china that resides in your house and car right now, and works with no problem... eBay ha it's history of selling crappy knockoffs , but I want to use logic and see its crap rather then just assume it is...

how much of a laugh would there be if (eBay) found a way to use the exact same parts Garrett uses but instead of trying to markup by say 40% over manufacturing cost, they were clever enough to only want 20% over cost and just sell more units?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LocoJoe
It has been done before and the results are always the same. I did it once actually. Crap blade material, crap housings, crap internals including cheap *** ballbearings....... total Crap. These dont come balanced so..... Everything is just mass produced. This is the same as GodSpeed and all the "Ebay" **** turbines. The knockoff turbine I had was 1 journal and 1 ball bearing. Maybe these are double BB? I dont know and I dont care. Its all garbage. Any turbo can spit out at 10psi. But put them at 30psi everyday and you will see the difference.

Once I changed turbos from a knockoff to Mac's STC Reaper, the difference was close to 100+ whp. So there u have it :D
And this ^ is the reason why I want to see them side by side... all these posts and not one of them have actually tested them out/ dismantled them to even attempt to prove they aRe in fact crap... so much stuff is made in china that resides in your house and car right now, and works with no problem... eBay ha it's history of selling crappy knockoffs , but I want to use logic and see its crap rather then just assume it is...

how much of a laugh would there be if (eBay) found a way to use the exact same parts Garrett uses but instead of trying to markup by say 40% over manufacturing cost, they were clever enough to only want 20% over cost and just sell more units?
There you go... There a pile of **** and they always will be. Its different when they have a big company with strict quality control watching over them.. E.g. Sony. Anything they try to produce on there own is total crap... No matter if its a Gold fish tank or a turbo... Its all crap... At the end of the day "you get what you pay for" and thats that.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:46 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a good business plan in a few ways.

-No R&D since the technology is older
-Parts and Machine availablility....buy a few outdate Garrett machines and start an assembly line
-Plenty of people standing in line to save a few $$ (in the short term)

They aren't that complicated to build for one. As long as the tolerances are somewhat in check, they have something that will last 'long enough.' Most people who are dumb enough to buy this garbage dont use them for anything crazy. The turbos aren't stressed and since they dont have to work hard, they work for a while. Even if tolerances are out of spec, you'll never know until you push it. Since most people dont, they think it works just fine.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can get outsourcing to china and have comparable quality as often used products out there. You're just going to be paying alot more to get it produced. It can be done, but most companies are not willing to pay extra for the "higher" tier line of knockoff, if that makes sense. That is probibly why all of these inexpensive knockoffs that are being sold really cheap don't have the tolerances that the higher qc'd units do.

Quick Reply: Is this a joke ?