JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 02:49 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (Cramerox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cramerox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But isnt that what its all about? better airflow? the problem is you are moving all the air in basically a long IC, with a taller IC it will cool more air and move it along nicely. Less pressure drop more boost more HP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true statement. I lost 3psi straight up when I installed mine but the car felt just as strong at the lower pressure with the intercooler versus the higher pressure unintercooled.

I went with it because 99% of it's surface area fit in the lower grille opening of my car's bumper versus taller ones which would have been half hidden AND that I would have had to cut my front inner bumper support (which I was not willing to do).
Old 11-21-2003, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody got picture of this IC for the EK civics? where can you get the pipe for this.... i'd rather pay 300 for the tyrus IC than greddy's type 31 that cost more than double...
Old 11-21-2003, 03:03 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (sohc_vtec 2NR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anybody got picture of this IC for the EK civics? where can you get the pipe for this.... i'd rather pay 300 for the tyrus IC than greddy's type 31 that cost more than double...</TD></TR></TABLE>

here's a picture of the intercooler on an EK and the guy sells pipe sets designed around them. Hell, tyrus himself links to this guys pipes. They aren't mandrel bent but they aren't crinkle bent either. Personally, I think $150 or what not for pre-bent pipes is worth it even not mandrel as I hated cutting/welding mine and wasn't about to pay the $1000 that greddy wanted

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33742
Old 11-21-2003, 04:01 PM

Default Re: (stackz)

I'm not sure man, that piping isn't too pretty, it's not crinkle bent but it is crush bent. And heavy *** 14 Ga. to prevent cracking under high boost!? lol. wow! i have yet to see any 18ga intercooler pipes crack! especially when you are using the $3 hose couplers from home depot he mentions, those things give out at like 10psi! Not worth the $185 IMO but to each their own. I guess I'd be more interested if I didn't have the means to make it on my own.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (FredoSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FredoSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the pressure drop with this IC? Have you tested it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I dont know the pressure drop with this IC and NO i have not tested it. My experience came from trying different IC when i had my car.
Its like this. lets say a room had a hundred people. If they had to evacuate the room as fast as they can, which will work better for the people to get out? a room with 2 doors or a room with 5 doors. Im not saying this IC will not work...im just saying personally i would go with a taller IC.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:29 PM

I LOVE MINE, they are great intercoolers for a cheap price, why wouldn't u get on, better then a side mount + i painted my black (DUH) stright sleaper.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a longer FMIC will have more pressure drop, but will allow for cooler air. a taller FMIC will have less pressure drop but does not cool as effeciently.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (FredoSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FredoSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the pressure drop with this IC? Have you tested it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly i havent lost anything that I have been able to see, the intercooler flows nicely, and i lost maybe a half a lb of boost. I used 2.5 inch piping all around and i have been very happy with my purchase, tyrus is an awesome person to deal with and if i needed another IC i would buy from him
Old 11-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (1dumbassscreenname)

anyone have pics of the 30x6x2 IC in an "EG" bumper? I got the 30x5x2 and i had to hack my bumper to hell to get the piping to fit...I'm trying to get something that i can hide behind my grill and have a stock looking bumper...notice the side vents are all hacked up...

Old 11-21-2003, 10:10 PM

nice turbo EG.. props.. im checkin out the same intercooler for my teg.. i could care less about my bumper.. im not my car for looks but it's the speed that count.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (88civicHB703)

FWIW I was in a financial bind(when I blew my motor a while back) and sold my Nice fat Spearco Intercooler and bought a Tyrus intercooler(made over $150 on the deal). I got the taller 6" one and I had zero pressure drop compared to my old Spearco. The fitiment was great and the quality is pretty damn good for the price. And here is what nobody is probably going to believe, I'm making 380whp with the Tyrus intercooler on a very conservative tune at only 14psi of boost.
Mark
Old 11-24-2003, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (01ITR#700)

sweet i just orderd my 6" bigger johnnyracecar FMIC today....so hopefully im pleased with it as you all think, ill keep ya posted!
Old 11-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gdrum)

anyone ahve the pics of a 6" with the EG bumper? do the pipes hide behind the bumper? Any hacking up needed?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (shermanyang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a longer FMIC will have more pressure drop, but will allow for cooler air. a taller FMIC will have less pressure drop but does not cool as effeciently. </TD></TR></TABLE>

got it the wrong way round man.

taller intercooler will cool way better because of less heat soak.. lookit the old boosted F1 cars, they run super tall intercoolers and they are only about 10" wide..

taller and wider is always better though :D
Old 11-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (shortyz)

yeah these long skinny ones are okay for low boost applications but so are taller one....and you might spool quicker also!!
Old 11-24-2003, 10:13 PM
I've quit using this account

i thought that the taller ones cooled better because they have more fins..
check this link out, at the top where it says tech: scroll down to iIC, they have a ton of good info.
http://www.are.com.au/index.htm
thank me later =]
Old 11-24-2003, 11:07 PM

I have a tyrus intercooler and I think you really cannot beat it for the money. I am only planning on 300 whp so it shoudl do just fine.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:21 AM

Default Re: (nigel)

you get what you pay for literally on this.

its a SUPER buy for the price. i had one, my buddy has one on his crx and its possible we might get a couple more after the holidays for some locals.

for sub 300hp.
i say go for it.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:39 AM

Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (Quad-Damge)

I think a lot of people forget that the quality of a part is relative to it's suitability to the application. A Tyrus intercooler is not appropriate for a 600whp car. That's just common sense. However, if you're running aprox. 300 or less, this intercooler is the best buy, bar none. You will never find another intercooler this good for that kind of application at that price.
I run the 5" on my EG and sure I would like to have a nice Spearco or Apex'i, but it would be pointless for my setup, and a huge waste of money. Some people fail to have a goal in mind when building their car and so any time they find a nice new expensive part they buy it, not taking into consideration if it is really the best part for them.
Just my .02.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:28 PM

Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (Ibiza)

anyone making close to 400whp on this. What is the main problem on this, if i was to boost 22 psi. The flow or the heating problem.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:49 PM

Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (doubler)

Can you hack up the greddy pipes that come with the kit to get that to fit or do you need special pipes...and yes i went to the ebay auction on the last page and i dont need it to be clean looking or anything i just wanna use the stock pipes if i could...
Old 12-14-2003, 08:06 PM

I had it on my 00 turbo EX with the apexi bb kit and it worked fine. Sometimes i'd overheat in the 100+ summer Tx heat but that was probably just heat soak in general. I had a stock radiator/fans also.

It's fine and a good price for just a sub 1 bar sohc setup but if you want more hp later just get a precision or spearco etc cause the johnnyracecar one is only about 2" thick which is quite a bit thinner than most. Tryus is a real nice guy to deal with and it's good quality.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (Jkan2001)

the welds are better than the sparco unit i have. awesome cooler for the money.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:51 PM

Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (Matt B)

This thread is awsome! All the information that I need it, its here. I got a question for the DC owners. I have a 91 teg and was wondering if you guys have a pic of that intercooler on a 90-91 front bumper. I've seen one on a 92-93 teg front bumper but I have a 91. I have the money and will send the money order out tomorrow. The only thing that I dont like is that they dont use paypal. It would MUCH easier and quicker is they had paypal.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted (Raunch)

johnnyracecar.com should have paypal....i paid with it

Quick Reply: JohnnyRaceCar Intercooler: Pics & opionions wanted