Notices

Interesting Turbo location

Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Turbo location

Hey guys Im building a Eg coupe with a LS swap. Im using the car as a daily driver slash shop promo car Nothing crazy, Fresh paint, Hon data Id 1000s 60-1 ect ect. Basically i want to keep AC Ps ect. I could make a manifold that looks like all the other rams out there or do a top mount, but was wondering if you have seen anyone put the turbo up under the hole we have under the intake manifolds. I know of the obvious probs of heat soak but i could build a header long tube style so i could get good runner design and still have plenty of room up front. Interesting idea or lame????? I could just stick to the norm just thought it was a provoking idea
Typically i build awd rwd platforms but have been known to do crazy things
my shop racer
Old 11-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Interesting Turbo location

for a shop promo car you want some wow factor.....

sidewinder manifold and place the turbo behind the pass headlight and run it to a water to air intercooler right into the manifold

like this (pics are from enmo's twin charged civic)

Old 11-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope he isnt planning no running that turbo with the CHRA on such and angle.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thats a time attack car and it runs fine at that angle. I questioned it before in his build thread. Car is twin charged and very fast
Old 11-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested to hear more about how you plan to run the manifold. Putting the turbo under the intake manifold would gain space up front but unless you're somehow going to gain from that, i dont see why you would go through the hassle.

The long runners needed for such a manifold are going to increase lag drastically. If you're offsetting that with another twin-charged setup, it may not be a concern, but for a typical turbo-only setup, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I may have gotten ahead of myself. I'd love to hear your plan. Its obvious this isn't your first time attempting something like this...
Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

def different.... i'd like to see the dyno graphs or videos if any are available on that..
Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Schister66
I'm interested to hear more about how you plan to run the manifold. Putting the turbo under the intake manifold would gain space up front but unless you're somehow going to gain from that, i dont see why you would go through the hassle.

The long runners needed for such a manifold are going to increase lag drastically. If you're offsetting that with another twin-charged setup, it may not be a concern, but for a typical turbo-only setup, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I may have gotten ahead of myself. I'd love to hear your plan. Its obvious this isn't your first time attempting something like this...
Def no the first time, lol just finished a one off turbo Z build last week GTX 3582 laid down 592whp 588tq on 16psi built motor e-85

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...t=P1016813.jpg

But yea i dont need that crazy, the subi is the big dog but i want the honda to just be cool, lol nothing crazy, something i can cruise with no hassle from the cops and clean enough that people say hmm cool. no twin charging ect, I did do some fitment testing with turbo in the back and if i was going smaller it would work out great but the turbonetics 60-1 w .63 A/R is just to tight.

I think im going to build a top mount but will keep in clean and neat. Thanks for the input tho guys
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^You do nice work. This isn't really the place for it, but i'd like to see more of that Subaru. I'm in the same group...a Subie and Honda nut. I just bought my first Subaru (06 STi) in February of this year.

While we're sharing, here's my Scooby (my friend's Evo X GSR on the left)

Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scottdh20
I speak from experience when I say that distributor is going to HATE being that close to the heat.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant wait to see the finishing build pics for this mani setup. Should be interesting to say the least!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that you should totally tuck it behind the motor and tuck the radiator and have a smallish blacked out intercooler.. That way no one would notice it when you popped the hood at first.. Total sleeper
Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
I hope he isnt planning no running that turbo with the CHRA on such and angle.
Correct. The angle of the cartridge will be the direct cause of premature failure, even with a sump system.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

keep on topic guys i was posting a pic of enmos build to show the sidewinder manifold, if you want to comment on it type enmo into google he is on several honda forums....dont clutter up this guys thread with a pissing match.....

i still vote sidewinder, keep the a/c, keep the heat away from the ac condensor will actually help it still get ice cold as i have heard complaints that a turbo to close will cause it to not get quite as cold....it will allow for a larger turbo and well its sexy
Old 11-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Trial User

Yea Im going to do something diff, The civics are tight up froerent tho, Ill do my best to keep as much of the factory components up front as possible, ie, cooling fan, condenser fan, im going to order materials this week ill post pics

Here is the car Freshly painted ready for fun

Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by scottdh20
keep on topic guys i was posting a pic of enmos build to show the sidewinder manifold, if you want to comment on it type enmo into google he is on several honda forums....dont clutter up this guys thread with a pissing match.....

i still vote sidewinder, keep the a/c, keep the heat away from the ac condensor will actually help it still get ice cold as i have heard complaints that a turbo to close will cause it to not get quite as cold....it will allow for a larger turbo and well its sexy
Then the OP needs to not be vague by putting up that setup as an example. It is not clear as to whether or not his intent was to either utilize or imitate that design, or to come to the point that there is something else he had in mind. No one is off topic, but that picture does stand out as the OP's intent. If we're wrong, we apologize, but he needs to be more clear.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the op didnt post that pic i did in response to his original post as a mear suggestion for a out of the norm a/c compatable set-up.....if the guy can weld then a manifold like that would deffinatly showcase his skills nicely

nobody says enmo's placement is perfect....but from what i know he has multiple track record all around the u.s. with that set-up
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 AM

It can be done and there are some domestic kits with rearmount turbos. As Shodan said you'll need a sump system for the oil return on the turbo. No other major problems except running intake piping back up front (if running air/air IC) and you'll need some good flexible bracing to support the turbo weight on hot exhaust piping or you can expect to see some cracks.