Notices

Interesting Problem. . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 04:34 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting Problem. . .

Problem: The distributor rotor was just replaced because the screw was not there on the last one, so I put a brand new OEM one in. This is for a 2001 GSR head on an LS/VTEC setup and it has been tuned with Hondata. Once the rotor was replaced, the problem started occuring. When I get to 3800+rpms and 8-10psi+ the car starts sputterings (sounds like a subaru) and the A/F leans out to like 14:1. It is tuned to 20psi@11:1 A/F. However, if I keep it to like 5psi the car seems fine and the A/F is around 11:1. Now I can't keep it at 5psi just by my foot to easily so I don't know what it would be like at 7000rpm & 5psi....I only got it up to 6500rpm.

My Thoughts: At first I thought I needed to replace the MSD cap because the brass contacts were REALLY corroded http://photos-478.facebook.com...9.jpg. Sooo I replaced it today and the problem is still there. Now, could the rotor not having that screw when it was tuned and the contacts also being corroded at the same time.....could those two things have thrown the tune off and I might just need to retune it?

Everything was just fine and dandy until the rotor was replaced, so I'm at a loss right now what it could be.

Setup:
- 2001 GSR head
- MSD Digital 6-Plus
- MSD Blaster SS Coil
- 8.5mm MSD Superconductor Wires
- NGK BKR7E Plugs gapped at .028
Old 01-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Interesting Problem. . . (Dunc)

Hmm, that sputter isn't due to the misfire system??

J/K. Sorry to hear that you are having issues, wish I could help. Bump for you and my curiosity I would like to know what others think as well.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:23 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: Interesting Problem. . . (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm, that sputter isn't due to the misfire system??

J/K. Sorry to hear that you are having issues, wish I could help. Bump for you and my curiosity I would like to know what others think as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I don't think it's that...I bought a new JDM anti-misfire system when I purchased my high-speed muffler bearings.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Interesting Problem. . . (Dunc)

A misfire will show up leaner on the wideband...

Did you replace the rotor while you were in there? Rotor/cap are pretty cheap parts no? I would have just replaced them while I was in there...
Old 01-22-2006, 07:43 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: Interesting Problem. . . (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A misfire will show up leaner on the wideband...

Did you replace the rotor while you were in there? Rotor/cap are pretty cheap parts no? I would have just replaced them while I was in there...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes the rotor was replaced first, but I continued to use my old distributor cap for about 100 miles (round trip) because I didn't know of the problem yet.

Because the problem showed up, I took the distributor cap off just to investigate and then I found it's condition as pictured in the link I provided above. After noticing this I order the new MSD cap and installed it today...so the rotor only has about 100 miles on it with the old cap and 50 on the new one.

Misfire was my next thought: The NGK's that are in in only have maybe 5000 or so miles on them and are gapped at .028. I guess I'll replace those and see what happens, but I'm not really thinking that will solve this problem....I sure hope I'm wrong.