Notices

intercooler size question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intercooler size question?

How do I know if an intercooler is too big for my setup? What are the pros and cons of it being big? thanks oh and same thing with a turbo...

shane
Old 02-28-2004, 08:43 AM

Default Re: intercooler size question? (92boostn'hatch)

bump: for good intercooler ?
Old 02-28-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

certain sizes and designs will flow better than others. most intercoolers have a HP rating on them to give u a rough idea of how much they can flow. an intercooler is too big when it starts creating unnecessary lag. the intercooler needs to fill up before the charge pipes become fully pressurized. for instance puting an intercooler good for 600hp on your 250hp car would be overkill.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Default Re: intercooler size question? (92boostn'hatch)

IMHO it is almost impossible to have an IC that is too big. No offense to anyone and I respect differing opinions, but I think that most of the people who post and say "it'll add too much lag" haven't actually calculated the internal volume of an IC and compared it to the flow rate of their turbo. If you look at how much EXTRA volume there is in a large IC over a small one, you'll see that the amount of lag that it adds is very small when compared to lag from the inertia of the turbine/compressor wheels and to lag from the inherent flow characteristics of the turbo. In addition there are many benefits to a large IC like less restriction and cooler intake temps. There are two other things to consider when selecting an IC. 1) An IC with small end tanks and long tubes (i.e. small cross sectional flow area) is a bad idea as it creates lots of restriction. Many people on this board use them and recommend them, but you can't deny the simple physics of air flow. It is much better to use an IC with large end tanks and many tubes that aren't very long (i.e. large cross sectional flow area). 2) Properly ducting air to your IC is also important although for many of the behind-the-bumper ICs used in Hondas there isn't much room to do any ducting. Just keep it in mind.

Turbos are an entirely different story. It's REALLY important that it match the characteristics of your engine. Too small = bad AND too big = bad. First decide what your power goals are. Then determine what boost pressures and flow rates you will need to get there. Then select a few turbos that are efficient at the boost pressure you want. From those choose one whose efficiency is just starting to fall off as you approach your flow rate at redline. You could select a group of turbos by flow rate first and then choose one by efficiency. You can't go far wrong with that plan.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: intercooler size question? (tjbizzo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tjbizzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMHO it is almost impossible to have an IC that is too big. No offense to anyone and I respect differing opinions, but I think that most of the people who post and say "it'll add too much lag" haven't actually calculated the internal volume of an IC and compared it to the flow rate of their turbo. If you look at how much EXTRA volume there is in a large IC over a small one, you'll see that the amount of lag that it adds is very small when compared to lag from the inertia of the turbine/compressor wheels and to lag from the inherent flow characteristics of the turbo. In addition there are many benefits to a large IC like less restriction and cooler intake temps. There are two other things to consider when selecting an IC. 1) An IC with small end tanks and long tubes (i.e. small cross sectional flow area) is a bad idea as it creates lots of restriction. Many people on this board use them and recommend them, but you can't deny the simple physics of air flow. It is much better to use an IC with large end tanks and many tubes that aren't very long (i.e. large cross sectional flow area). 2) Properly ducting air to your IC is also important although for many of the behind-the-bumper ICs used in Hondas there isn't much room to do any ducting. Just keep it in mind. </TD></TR></TABLE>

still, opinions dont defy physics

if there is no need for the extra room cut it out.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler size question? (envision2teg)

my goal is to be in the 300s do you think a super 60 turbo is to small.... I know the smaller = quick spool but you loose the top end and if it's too big then you get mondo turbo lag.... but what's a good full boost rpm? I had a huge turbo on one of my cars before and it got full boost at about 4 to 4.5 but when it did spool it pulled like a rocket.... So what if the exhaust side of the turbo was just a t3 for the spool time and the compressor side was big would that be better... i'm thinking about getting the blowzilla from http://www.cheapturbos.com again thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Re: intercooler size question? (tjbizzo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tjbizzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMHO it is almost impossible to have an IC that is too big. No offense to anyone and I respect differing opinions, but I think that most of the people who post and say "it'll add too much lag" haven't actually calculated the internal volume of an IC and compared it to the flow rate of their turbo. If you look at how much EXTRA volume there is in a large IC over a small one, you'll see that the amount of lag that it adds is very small when compared to lag from the inertia of the turbine/compressor wheels and to lag from the inherent flow characteristics of the turbo. In addition there are many benefits to a large IC like less restriction and cooler intake temps. There are two other things to consider when selecting an IC. 1) An IC with small end tanks and long tubes (i.e. small cross sectional flow area) is a bad idea as it creates lots of restriction. Many people on this board use them and recommend them, but you can't deny the simple physics of air flow. It is much better to use an IC with large end tanks and many tubes that aren't very long (i.e. large cross sectional flow area). 2) Properly ducting air to your IC is also important although for many of the behind-the-bumper ICs used in Hondas there isn't much room to do any ducting. Just keep it in mind. : </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed unless your intercooler is 36x 54x 8 you probably don't have to worry about it being to big. Even the larger intercoolers rated for 500-600hp will work great on a car making 250hp. Necessary, probably not, harmful, doubt it.
Going to small bring problems related to efficiency, it's not going to efficiently cool the intake temp.

Quick question, how much hp will the baby (small greddy type 24 i think) greddy intercooler support?
Old 02-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler size question? (b16ahybrid)

alright cool thanks guys