Intercooler Repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 05:34 PM
H.crx-si

Default Intercooler Repairable?

Modified by H.crx-si at 8:54 PM 8/27/2005
Old 05-19-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Intercooler Repairable? (H.crx-si)

yeah thats fine, use some JB Weld
Old 05-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Banned

Default Re: Intercooler Repairable? (Sideout)

JB weld for sure............ ha ha ha............. Holds 25 psi in my eclipse........... with the help of a little duct tape.

.........no, this isn't a joke
Old 05-19-2004, 06:08 PM
H.crx-si

Default Re: Intercooler Repairable? (danl)

Modified by H.crx-si at 8:54 PM 8/27/2005
Old 05-19-2004, 06:21 PM

yeah dude thats not big at all. jb weld the bitch and your set for life. hell i know some HMT peeps are running endtanks basicly fabed from the stuff. just never use the "Quik-Weld" it's no where near as strong, good luck and happy boosting
Old 05-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intercooler Repairable? (Sideout)

JB Weld will work if you do it correctly. Clean the surfaces VERY thoroughly and make sure you scuff them up a bit.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:21 AM
H.crx-si

Ok I'll do that. Do I just gob it on the hole or do I put a thin layer over the hole? Ive never used the jb weld before.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:28 AM

Default Re: (H.crx-si)

just buy the value pack and dip the intercooler in it completely, like you were dipping a donut in coffee. mine looked like yours, and now it looks like this

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-20-2004, 05:21 AM
H.crx-si

Default Re: (FwdCivicHatch)

Dip the intercooler in what to make it look like that? I tried degreasing it the other day and that took off some crud but I think I'm just gonna clean it to the best of my ability and then spray it with high temp aluminum colored paint.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:29 AM

Is that an intercooler or a heater core, JK.. If your looking for a much bigger one I have a audi 5000 core ill sell ya for cheap.. Just need to get endtanks welded on to it and its good to go..

Or if you want to fix that one just use some jb weld or some of that quik jb weld will work fine..
Old 05-20-2004, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H.crx-si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dip the intercooler in what to make it look like that? I tried degreasing it the other day and that took off some crud but I think I'm just gonna clean it to the best of my ability and then spray it with high temp aluminum colored paint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he was joking....he meant dip it in a value pack of jb weld. i thought it was funny
Old 05-20-2004, 07:06 AM

Default Re: (keebler65)

for the size of the intercooler that you have, with all the bent fins, and the leaks in it, you'd be better off not running an intercooler. Get one in decent condition, or ditch your whole project. If you cant even afford a $40 DSM one in good condition, then your not going to be able to afford the other things for your setup. Just a nice Oil Return Kit is like $50-80. Yeah you can do a ghetto one for like $15. but reliability is something you have to pay for............I can't beleive that you are going to try and fix that peice of **** you call and intercooler!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intercooler Repairable? (danl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JB weld for sure............ ha ha ha............. Holds 25 psi in my eclipse........... with the help of a little duct tape.

.........no, this isn't a joke </TD></TR></TABLE>
awesome..... the day i put my xs front mount on my 98 gst i hit a possum, it pushed the i/c into the cross brace and put a 5 inch wide , 2mm tall hole in the back side of my ic, jb weld held strong in that one, at like 23lbs, whenever fuel cut wouldnt spoil the party
Old 05-20-2004, 08:50 AM
H.crx-si

Modified by H.crx-si at 8:55 PM 8/27/2005
Old 05-20-2004, 09:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H.crx-si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Sorry I stopped reading what you wrote after this because any opinion you have would just seem invalid. Any intercooler as long as it holds is better then none and since I'm running only 4-6 psi that one mounted in the front bumper will do just fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think there is mixed feelings on this one.. Since that intercooler is restrictive its probably going to cause more heat than it releases.. Also that small of an intercooler would probably get heat soaked quickly..

But in the end try it with and without it and get some intake temp readings and post them here..
Old 05-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like an old supra ic, even with a little damage it cant be worse than nothing.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Intercooler Repairable? (Zer0DazE)

That intercooler has more than a little damage. It's a peice of ****!!!! And anyway, your next post will probably be a PVC Pipe setup for you intercooler piping that will melt near your downpipe. If your that cheap then that's fine, GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR "TURBO" Setup. Post some Temp. Drops from that GAIC....Doubt there gonna be any help. Plus your so cheap, you definately won't be buying any gauges to see the actual Temp. anyway. I'm sure I'll see your completed project within 3-4yrs.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intercooler Repairable? (FwdCivicHatch)

you have a serious anger management problem

maybe your mom didnt hug you enough when you were a child
Old 05-20-2004, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Intercooler Repairable? (FwdCivicHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FwdCivicHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GAIC</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im guessing that means Gay *** Inter Cooler..
Old 05-20-2004, 10:29 AM
H.crx-si

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That intercooler has more than a little damage. It's a peice of ****!!!! And anyway, your next post will probably be a PVC Pipe setup for you intercooler piping that will melt near your downpipe. If your that cheap then that's fine, GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR "TURBO" Setup. Post some Temp. Drops from that GAIC....Doubt there gonna be any help. Plus your so cheap, you definately won't be buying any gauges to see the actual Temp. anyway. I'm sure I'll see your completed project within 3-4yrs.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I actually got this gear together only in the last few days so its doubtful it will take my 3-4 yrs I plan on installing everything during this summer sometime when I'm not working. I'm not quite sure why your ripping in the stuff I bought so bad. I'm in university and dont have alot of money for projects so I have to settle for the cheaper route. How come your flaming I called it a turbo setup? what would you call it? I jb welded it and the cooler seems to be in good shape other then that one deep gash in it.

I dont plan on using pvc piping that wouldn't be very clever I'm going to use aluminized piping and cut my own charge pipes and use silicone connectors. I dont really have the cash for a motor swap and the car looks like it should be faster then a d16a6 w/ I/H/E so I figured this would be a good route to go here's my car.

Hopefully I can get some decent numbers out of the trusty a6. Also a buddy of mine is going to resurface the manifold to clean it up and I'll probably throw a coat of high temp aluminum paint on the end tanks so it looks a bit cleaner.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:38 AM

If your looking to save even more money look into using rubber fittings from home depot instead of the silicone connectors.. They are alot cheaper and work great..
Old 05-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgreaves)

or make friends with someone at a plumbing supply place
Old 05-20-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Re: (Zer0DazE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zer0DazE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or make friends with someone at a plumbing supply place </TD></TR></TABLE>

That too.. Or make friends with alot of money that buy expensive parts and use them for like a week and say.. This thing sucks....You want it..