Notices

Intercooler Questions: budget build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler Questions: budget build

I have not selected my IC for my F22a1 prelude build yet. I am working with DSM parts from an EVO, and a couple other turbos one from a WRX and one from an S5 both IHI units. I'm gonna be running low boost with whatever configuration of parts I go with I would like to reach 250-300 on a conservative tune. After reading this I believe I have a ton more research to do on this topic. I have been researching for the past year and just started gathering parts. This is a eye opener. Thanks to all. I hope to be able to contribute some content or experience from my adventure.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Discussion Topic: Let's talk Intercoolers!!

You won't make that power with any of those two turbos.... they are tiny.
The s5 was never turbocharged, it was offered with either a naturally aspirated v8 or a supercharged v6, only the a5 was turbocharged and it used a very very small k03 turbo, you won't even make 200 with that turbo

Same with the wrx turbo, depending on what model/year it could be various turbos but assuming it came off a stock non sti car it's a TD04L-13t... another turbo that won't make the power you want, nor is there a commonly available manifold or downpipe for these turbos.

You won't make make any power with the k03 turbo, ditch it
The wrx turbo again assuming it is what I think it is, only flows 27.64lb/min at its absolute limit, or 276.4hp at the crank

Given your displacement and how bad f22 heads suck, you might make 200-225 at the most

The DSM starion and evo 8/9 intercoolers are great for power levels like yours, I see people use them all the time. Another good option is the intercooler off the Dodge SRT-4... its a Garrett piece and supports a decent amount of power and can be purchased cheap on eBay (I've seen them for 50 bucks) as well as srt4 forums, srt4 owners love to install big pointless front mounts so the get rid of stock ones cheap

I will ask you this... why did you post in this thread? While it is a thread about intercoolers, your post is on the 11th page and will probably be overlooked. Why not start a new one?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intercooler Questions: budget build

I appreciate the your opinion but I wasn't asking for advice. I was simply putting my two cents in. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stumble across a used garret fmic or something comparable. But I will definitely look into those inter coolers you mentioned. I do most of my posting from a tablet so I guess I hit a instead is s when I was speaking of the a5 turbo, which I know is to small to make my ultimate power and I'm probably just gonna flip the wrx turbo to a buddy looking for a low boost setup on a del sol but I think if I take my time do the proper valve train work and tune it right I can get to the 250 mark with the evo setup I have. A side note the wrx turbo is an IHI and the one from the evo I have no idea brand its probably a cheap Chinese knock off somebody tried to upgrade with which I will be tearing down and rebuilding. I got two for free and the one from the evo came with the manifold that I wanted. I will, after tunning and shaking down my built engine, be upgrading from the already "upgraded" turbo from the evo setup I purchased. I do again thank you for your opinion but I really think its a bit harsh to say that the f22a1 head sucks I mean I think it has been apart of some pretty exceptional builds will mine be one probably not but that's not what I'm after. I simply want a stout car with a different setup. If you disagree I can accept and appreciate that but you nor anyone else out there will be changing my mind any time soon.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also you may close this thread at anytime.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 PM
OneBadTurboCRV

I am curious why you would even post something like this then? Go join the GDD discussions if you are feeling lonely.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was stating how bad f22 heads flow given the displacement of the motor and compared to other Hondas,

I've yet to find an affordable Garrett core and most of what i see used are beaten to ****

Seriously, just get a stock evo8-9 intercooler.... you can find them all over the place in good used condition, cheap... and they mount up beautifully when done right and charge piping is super easy, plus they will support your goals no problem

I'm sorry but it sounded like you were presenting a question and data for contemplation/advice which is why I asked a mod/admin to make it a standalone thread.

Both of those turbos won't reach your goal, however their are other turbo options in the same price range as one of the units you have currently have but will support more power.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he said he was working with evo parts...and also had a couple extra turbos from a wrx and audi...if that includes the stock 16g from the evo he will make his power goals...or maybe I read it wrong
Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
I am curious why you would even post something like this then? Go join the GDD discussions if you are feeling lonely.
It was a "Hi guys! My name is..." thread. He never wanted any tech advice.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are countless amounts evo 8's and evo 9's make making over 400awhp with the stock turbos.

for intercoolers you can go cheep like ebay or use intercoolers from other cars but I always recomend a nice bar and plate garrett core.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Grumblemarc is correct in the original thread I was mainly commenting on how helpful the info provide was. My setup info was more of a head knod than anything. I do however appreciate the ideas. I will be looking into stock intercoolers Wantboost has mentioned. I just never considered because I thought there would be other products better suited. Any info is appreciated.

I'm still unsure of the flow of the f22 head though I have read that it flows better than the h series. But as with anything I'm sure if one looks hard enough they can find support for almost an statement especially if the truth isn't a priority. Regardless of the heads ability I think I can attain my goals through some mild modding and proper tuning. Thank you all for your input and I hope to be able to give some first hand knowledge in the near future. I am not rushing things but I will hopefully become a bit more active here once I really get into the heart of this build.

Last edited by PokoLoco; 02-25-2013 at 11:06 AM.