Notices

intercooler effectiveness while on dyno

Old 01-28-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intercooler effectiveness while on dyno

I've been doing lots of turbo-related reading lately with my own turbo project in the works, but I've never seen a discussion of cooling the intake charge while on a dyno for tuning purposes etc.

It seems to me that loading the engine under boost while remaining stationary isn't going to allow the intercooler to do much to the intake charge - would this increase chances of detonation? Do people use fans to push air through the IC while on the dyno? This assumes the use of an air-air IC of course (although isn't air-water also cooled by ambient air while driving as well?) Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm just curious.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: intercooler effectiveness while on dyno (acy76)

A good dyno will have fans that will be set-up right in front of your intercooler as well as one to cool down your intake manifold temperatures.

Here is a pic of when I had my car dyno'd at Balanced Performance.

Old 01-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler effectiveness while on dyno (PrecisionH23a)

Nice fan setup there.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Re: intercooler effectiveness while on dyno (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A good dyno will have fans that will be set-up right in front of your intercooler as well as one to cool down your intake manifold temperatures. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was thinking.. thanks.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acy76 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's what I was thinking.. thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't tell yourself that temps you get on the dyno will be the same as you get driving on the street though. With my old T88/383 mustang running an air to air core, IAT's were typically 40-50 degrees cooler while driving on the street compared to sitting there on a dyno, even with the front bumper cover off and 4 or 5 hamster fans blowing on the IC which was just sprayed down with water.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: intercooler effectiveness while on dyno (boosted92)

We just use a single fan and it seems to work fine... Water on the IC plus a little cool down between runs... It's harder with the cars running the F-R manifolds because they get sooo hot they tend to heat up the IC a little during a pull... I've never really monitored Duc's IAT on the street but I'll check it out sometime...

Sorry but it's the only okay pic I have and I wasn't intending on taking it of the dyno fan, hehe
Old 02-01-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Re: intercooler effectiveness while on dyno (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't tell yourself that temps you get on the dyno will be the same as you get driving on the street though. With my old T88/383 mustang running an air to air core, IAT's were typically 40-50 degrees cooler while driving on the street compared to sitting there on a dyno, even with the front bumper cover off and 4 or 5 hamster fans blowing on the IC which was just sprayed down with water.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you think this affects the tuning process much? Of course, lower charge temps during normal driving are desirable, but would you end up with a tune that's 'off' if the temps are running high on the dyno? Maybe more conservative than it needs to be? I suppose this is what street tuning is for...
Old 02-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Kataku2K3]We just use a single fan and it seems to work fine... Water on the IC plus a little cool down between runs... It's harder with the cars running the F-R manifolds because they get sooo hot they tend to heat up the IC a little during a pull... I've never really monitored Duc's IAT on the street but I'll check it out sometime...

is that brians car? whats he runnin now-a-days
Old 02-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: intercooler effectiveness while on dyno (tgh99si)

What's up, yea that's Brian's car and he hasn't really been driving it since it's been raining sooo much (actually just the shitty weather in general, can't boost up anyways)... His best last season was still only a 10.90@136 but hopefully he'll be able to get it down a little this year with the same amount of power... We're working with the Innovative Turbo MSBC and they just seem to take a long time to dial in at the track... 1st and 2nd are still spinning a little too much but it's okay... If he could get down to a 10.50 or so with the same power that's about all I would expect... We have a couple more turbo cars this year so it's just been really busy and I think it's going to stay that way, hehe... Peace
Old 02-02-2004, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: intercooler effectiveness while on dyno (Kataku2K3)

thanks for the update