Notices

Intercooled JRSCed b18c and high compression???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooled JRSCed b18c and high compression???

bored out of my mind, I did a little researching sparked by my curiousity and found this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=88922 . It is a link about high compression and JRSC. It says that basically upping compression = upping the heat-- which is definately a bad thing because the JRSC already has heat issues.. But with the benefit of lowered intake temps of the LHT performance intercooler, doesn't it seem as though raising compression would become beneficial (along with upping the boost). What type of compression is good for 11 lbs of boost (which is what the JRSC is said to be most efficient at)? I know tuning would be an issue, but I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

I don't plan on doing this mod in the near future, but it's something to think about-- although, I really can't see myself dumping 1300$ into an intercooler for my JRSC... after all, I could build a junkyard turbo setup for that much and have just as much fun (if not more with more power).

BTW: I recently checked out a (I believe it was newgsrdriver's) post of the dyno chart comparison for b18c1 turbod 7 lbs vs jrsc'ed 5-7lbs... the results show the turbo ahead all the way-- but I wonder what the comparison would look like if you check out the dyno chart comparison between turbo and intercooled JRSC w/ the same PSI??? Anyone have any info regarding this?

And PLEASE NO "SELL YOUR JRSC AND GO TURBO POSTS"...

-Zack
Old 11-27-2003, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Intercooled JRSCed b18c and high compression??? (92TEGsrSC)

As of 5 months ago it was 1000 for the intercooler cores installed and an additional 300 for the heat exchanger.

Has the price of that lht intercooler gone down any?
Old 11-27-2003, 07:39 AM

ttt
Old 11-27-2003, 08:48 PM

ttt
Old 11-30-2003, 07:42 PM

ttt
Old 11-30-2003, 08:40 PM

I just got a JRSC not installed but been doing alot of research also to get the most out of it (got 10lb pulley). I email jackson racing & everytime they give my questions answers within 48 hours. So give them a shot im not really sure myself i know the JRSC does very well with stock internals that is what makes it so realiable. Give umm a shot, spread the info if u decide to email . Thanks Later
Old 12-01-2003, 11:40 AM

thanks for the response and info... ttt
Old 12-02-2003, 08:50 AM

ttt
Old 12-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were running a JRSC setup, and going all out, I would absolutely aim for at least 10:1 with forged pistons. I would think the forged/cast would make more of a difference than the compression in terms of heat and melting a piston.

Since the blower is boost limited, you wont see the benefits of running lower compression. A good EMS, high compression, and some way to keep intake temps down would be one very nice JRSC setup.

But at the end of the day, after all that, you have to think...you could have spent less and made more with...

I know you dont want to hear it, just busting your *****
Old 12-02-2003, 10:51 AM

haha... thanks for the response
Old 12-02-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Intercooled JRSCed b18c and high compression??? (newgsrdriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsrdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I were running a JRSC setup, and going all out, I would absolutely aim for at least 10:1 with forged pistons. I would think the forged/cast would make more of a difference than the compression in terms of heat and melting a piston.

Since the blower is boost limited, you wont see the benefits of running lower compression. A good EMS, high compression, and some way to keep intake temps down would be one very nice JRSC setup.

But at the end of the day, after all that, you have to think...you could have spent less and made more with...

I know you dont want to hear it, just busting your ***** </TD></TR></TABLE>

Very right newgsr but the word realiable is the key to me Turbo is what i wanted but turbo calls for internal rebuild period so then u can not sweat the blowing up part lol Later
Old 12-03-2003, 12:07 AM

I am beginning to seriously think that turbo is the best way to go. I would imagine choosing a moderately sized turbo setup could yield much better results w/ ease of upgradeability while maintaining a comparable throttle response to that of a JRSC... correct me if I'm wrong, guys. And by ease of upgradeability, I mean the turbo would be able to suppy more than 12psi without the owner having to worry about the turbo breaking (JRSC are only designed to spin so fast). Also, being able to turn up the boost reliably... I know tuning is supposed to be the answer to reliability issues, but lets just face it-- when intake temps go up-- risks go up-- end of story. Tuning may help-- but overall, the problem and risk remains-- this is the main problem with the JRSC. Any comments?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Intercooled JRSCed b18c and high compression??? (Acronym)

IMO it depends on how the SC or Turbo is installed and maintained that makes it "reliable" A SC isnt less maintanence as turbo. You still have to check that all clamps/bolts are still holding down and the pulleys arent cracked or slipping. The main difference between the two is going to be your driving style. A turbo car will feel different than a SC car. More often than not SC got the power down low while turbos gain power during mid and top end. So it really depends what type of driving you want. Sorry for going of on a tangent. As far as High Comp I would assume you could go with a USDM ITR comp or a lil bit higher and you would be safe. Since a SC is belt driven and has a set boost u dont wanna loose even more power by lowering your compression. Raising your Comp+tuning will increase the effeciency of ur charger=power oh by the way I will also choose a JRSC for my car...as soon as i have money hahaha
Old 12-03-2003, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (92TEGsrSC)

A turbo setup does yield better results, if you ask me. Thats why I posted that dyno...so people can see exactly how much and where the difference in power is.

Thats not to say the JRSC isnt a competent setup. I think its great, and if done right, is a blast to drive. I loved mine, really. Im just having much more fun with the turbo kit. Id still love to see someone go 10.6:1 on an otherwise stock block, intercooled 8PSI and make good numbers...but at the end of the day, it just seems a turbo kit gets you past that point for less money.

Bottom line...if youre looking for 6-10PSI and instant boost in terms of driveability...the charger is great. Im not down with the extremely high intake temps above 8PSI, but what can you do. If you know going into it that you want 14PSI and 350whp...do it the easy way and go turbo. No sense making things harder on yourself.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (newgsrdriver)

very true
Old 12-03-2003, 01:23 PM

I cuncur