Notices

insulating engine from excess turbo heat.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insulating engine bay from excess turbo heat.

wassup guys. I have a crx on boost and I want to reduce heat from charges pipes and other parts as much as possible

i dont have any better images on file, but this should give you an idea.

i plan to ceramic coat the manifold, downpipe, and possibly the exhuast side of the turbo. would it be wise to put header wrap on the downpipe after the ceramic coating? i hear the header wrap rots headers/downpipes with long term use.

i want to also insulate the charge pipes with reflective tape. do you guys know where i can get some, or what other alternative i can use.

edit:
also, what could i use to insulate the ac lines. i cracked a line because of the combo of heat/cold and i am replacing it. this is actually the most important issue i have to face.

any suggestions, and comments are welcome. thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: insulating engine bay from excess turbo heat. (pendejon)

DEI has some good products out there. i have heard some bad stories of "insulating" your downpipe/turbo/manifold. holding in the heat puts more stress on the material. however i would recomend insulating your charge pipes with headr wrap or something like that. (if header wrap prevents heat from escaping exhaust pipes than theoreticly it should keep heat out of charge pipes.)

colder air into the combustion chamber=more power
Old 03-11-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will find that ceramic coating has very little effect on underhood temperatures. Does control radiant heat a bit, but not as much as you might expect for the price.

I like to use HVAC insulation. It's not bling, but does an excellent job, and even close proximity to the exhaust doesn't melt it.

I also use header tape on my downpipe. If it rots through it's not too hard to make a new one. Actually I get far more rust in the exhaust near the muffler, than on the downpipe.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: insulating engine bay from excess turbo heat. (gt25CIVICex)

I would only wrap your charge pipes from the intercooler to the TB... wrapping it before the intercooler will only hold the heat in... which is not what you want...

I've been thinking about doing the same thing... If I run my car hard on the freeway or something and then come home and pop the hood.... my interooler piping is cold from the intercooler until about 12" before the TB then it starts heating up... if I wrapped it I think I could maintain colder intake temps... but I don't know if it would be worth it or not... plus I think charge piping looks kinda silly all wrapped up... but if it produces a colder intake temp then I'm all for it...
Old 03-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you can find some one that will powder coat that stuff for you, that wrap will not rust or corrode your exhaust. You can try and use some air conditioning wrap (home use). Just something to think about. It has insulation on one side and some type of foil on the other.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldn;t use header wrap on charge pipes.

it is designed to hold heat in not keep heat out. you need something with a reflective cover to keep heat out.

also, i heatwraped my manifold, and downpipe and had no problems at all.

reason to wrape the manifold, is to keep the air as hot as possible entering the turbo, this will provide more power as hotter air has more push.

i then wraped my downpipe to keep heat soak into my oil down. after the turbo you want the air to cool as soon as possible. so wraping the downpipe can hinder this. but if you are running 3" and its right next to the oil pan, just wrape that section, so your oil stays cooler.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:37 AM

thanks alot for the help.

im thinking of ceramic coating the manifold and downpipe, and then header wrapping them. the downpipe does come rather close to the oil pan.

i know spoon sells the reflective tape, but I cant find anything locally or online. any ideas as to where i can find some?

now, would you recommend heat wrapping the exhuast side of the turbo, or some other form of insulation. I dont see much of a need to continue here, but it might be helpful.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: insulating engine bay from excess turbo heat. (Snail Tuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snail Tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldn;t use header wrap on charge pipes.

it is designed to hold heat in not keep heat out. you need something with a reflective cover to keep heat out.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree that a reflective material would also help but to say that something that keeps heat in would not also keep heat out just dosnt make sense. if your trying to avoid the affect of heat on the air temp whether the ait is inside or outside of the pipe what diference does it make where the heat is coming from whether the heat is inside or out side of the pipe.

ex. if you have a sealed box and have it divided down the middle with a header wrap type material it dosnt matter which side the heat is on the opposit side will be cooler.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (pendejon)

dei makes an exhaust blanket/jacket for the exhaust side of the turbo. This bad boy does wonders, much better than the thermal coating!! Its about the same price too.

I would highly suggest getting this!!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dei makes an exhaust blanket/jacket for the exhaust side of the turbo. This bad boy does wonders, much better than the thermal coating!! Its about the same price too.

I would highly suggest getting this!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-11-2005, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dei makes an exhaust blanket/jacket for the exhaust side of the turbo. This bad boy does wonders, much better than the thermal coating!! Its about the same price too.

I would highly suggest getting this!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, I picked one of these blanket setups up on Ebay and it rocks. The ceramic coating didn't do ANYTHING compared to this thing. I had enough to do 2 layers of the cloth plus the reflective stuff on top, and underhood temps are greatly reduced.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gt25CIVICex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree that a reflective material would also help but to say that something that keeps heat in would not also keep heat out just dosnt make sense. if your trying to avoid the affect of heat on the air temp whether the ait is inside or outside of the pipe what diference does it make where the heat is coming from whether the heat is inside or out side of the pipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The air in the charge pipe is almost certainly gonna be greater then the air in the engine bay. So you dont need to keep the engine bay heat "out" of the charge pipe. The charge pipes dissipate heat or carry it away from the intake air and disperse it out into the atmosphere through the charge pipe.

Keeping the heat in the turbo manifold/header has advantages because IIRC hotter exhaust gasses moves faster. But keeping the heat in you charge pipe will be bad for performace because your IAT's will be higher. So I think that insulating the IC and charge piping for the sake of making the engine bay cooler is a bad idea and will probably end up hurting your performance.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: insulating engine bay from excess turbo heat. (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So I think that insulating the IC and charge piping for the sake of making the engine bay cooler is a bad idea and will probably end up hurting your performance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

your not wraping the IC pipes to keep heat from the engine bay (the air in the pipes should be cool by this point), you wrap them to keep the engine bay heat from the air that is in the IC pipe that has just been cooled by the intercooler.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gt25CIVICex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your not wraping the IC pipes to keep heat from the engine bay (the air in the pipes should be cool by this point), you wrap them to keep the engine bay heat from the air that is in the IC pipe that has just been cooled by the intercooler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure that in most cases the air in the IC is way hotter then the air in the engine bay. I've seen people post up average IAT's of 120-140 while cruising in stop-n-go traffic and on the freeway. I read about how one guy said his IAT's got as high as 180 while he was in boost.

So if the intake air is 80-100 degrees hotter then the air in the engine bay then the underhood temps isn't gonna make that big of a difference to your IAT's. If anything the hotter IC piping is going to affect the engine bay temps more, not the other way around. Wrapping the IC piping with header wrap is just gonna make the piping retain heat, which is not what you want to do with the IC piping. That's why most IC piping is made of aluminum instead of stainless steel. Aluminum conducts heat better then SS.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pendejon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wassup guys. I have a crx on boost and I want to reduce heat from charges pipes and other parts as much as possible</TD></TR></TABLE>

And to answer the original question, all aluminum IC piping would help lower intake temps. You could also a large spray bottle of iced water with you to the track and spray down your IC piping between runs. The best setup would a a nitrous fogger system spraying onto your IC. Even one spraying water would be good to. And I think somebody already mentioned it, but a blanket or some sort of cooled water jacket or gel filled jacket to cover your IC piping might help.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: insulating engine bay from excess turbo heat. (BlueShadow)

well, i have found a reflective tape at http://www.blrmotorsports.com/suppliesheat.htm to wrap up my intake pipe and AC lines. My charge pipes are very cool right after the FMIC, but once the pipe reenters the engine bay, it reheats. my ac lines dont like the heat either so I will wrap em up as well.

now, if i ceramic coat my downpipe, will the header wrap still cause it to rot. i need to wrap it up because my AC compressor is literally an inch away from the downpipe.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:04 AM

bump