Notices

installing turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing turbo kit

got a couple question it needs to be answered installing my turbo kit.....
set up is:
greddy 18g bolt on turbo kit.....
thinking about buying rc310 injector obd1 for 120$ (is that a good price)???
have no name brand FPR which i guess ill try to figure out how to work it.....
do i need fmu or missing link????

first oil feed/return: i see people use either Ts or sandwich plate for the oil filter....
which is better??? any problems with the sandwich plate coming off??

second: i have 3 outlet fmic.... i do not have the ic piping and plan on getting them but should i get 3 inch piping or is 2.5 good enough???

third: when installing fmic on dc2 chassis how did you guys install it. there is a ac line... do you just mount it in front of it???

help me out.... done searches but havent really found answer

oh yea and i have aftermarket gsr oil pump gear that suppose to boost your oil pressure.... but i have an ls.... would this gear fit in my ls oil pump??

Modified by xiLLtegRax at 8:23 PM 8/23/2007

Modified by xiLLtegRax at 5:30 PM 8/24/2007
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: installing turbo kit (xiLLtegRax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xiLLtegRax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got a couple question it needs to be answered installing my turbo kit(greddy)....

first oil feed/return: i see people use either Ts or sandwich plate for the oil filter....
which is better??? any problems with the sandwich plate coming off??

second: i have 3 outlet fmic.... i do not have the ic piping and plan on getting them but should i get 3 inch piping or is 2.5 good enough???

third: when installing fmic on dc2 chassis how did you guys remove the bumper support??? did you guys just cut it off?? seems like its welded on there pretty tight.
and also do you guys just mount fmic right in front of the AC line thats in front of the ac condenser????

help me out.... done searches but havent really found answer

oh yea and i have aftermarket gsr oil pump gear that suppose to boost your oil pressure.... but i have an ls.... would this gear fit in my ls oil pump??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sandwhich plates seem to work fine, but I'm a fan of a direct line to feed the turbo myself.

What exactly do you mean you have 3 outlet FMIC? like there are 3 places to connect hoses to it? if thats the case you need ot get a different intercooler that intercooler is designed for a twin turbo system, and twin turbos on a 4 banger are pointless so yeah.

if you mean you have a 3inch outlet then you should still probably get a new intercooler because unless your running massive amounts of boost(which you shouldn't be because if you had the knowledge to back up that type of set these questions would be trivial to you and you shouldn't be asking them) then both 3inch and 2.5 inch pipping is going to be a bit on the oversized side... if you HAVE to chose between those 2 sizes then 2.5 inch until you getting past the 600-700whp mark then maybe bump up to 3 inch. though I would suggest 2.25 in pipping for the charge pipping... maybe a 2.25 inch hot side 2.5 cold side

Cant help ya with the last one I drive a BB6 haha sorry
Old 08-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing turbo kit (DCxMagus)

yea i meant to type 3" outlet fmic.... i wrote the dimension of the intercooler but left it at work. but i remember the the outlets being 3" its not really a big intercooler but yea i was thinking i wont really need 3 inch intercooler piping.... but since my outlet was 3 inch i was thinking if i should match it up but...... guess not.... hahaha

also give me some tips what to look out for when installling turbo kit... this is the FIRST TIME&gt; lol
Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd stick with a 2.5 inch piping and just get a coupler to reduce it from 3 to 2.5 inches
Old 08-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

comon....
Old 08-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The best thing I can say: take your time installing.

When doing any type of oil line or fitting, carefully consider each possible routing / configuration before you actually solidify it. Also, I have never heard of problems when using teflon tape, vs using the paste. There is always a chance the paste will not work right... alot of people end up with leaks... but it is always mainly from not enough coverage, or tape on the fitting. If u tape the fitting, wrap the tape starting at the second thread from the end that threads in... this will ensure you do not get any tape in your oiling system.

Make sure you adequately secure the oil line... think like an aircraft mechanic... there is a reason they have to tie/wire everything so it doesn't move... so that there is no problem later from vibration wearing **** out.

Installing the exhaust to your kit: if you have to stretch your exhaust piping, or put excessive force to get it to mate up, I would have an exhaust shop re-hang or readjust your exhaust ASAP... this extra force, combined with engine movement can cause a bigger problem especially with a tubular manifold; braced or not.

Intercooler and radiator woes:

I have found that if you install guards, or deflectors to keep the air coming off the FMIC going through the radiator; not around it. Because of pressure differentials and physics really, the airflow through the radiator will drop dramatically, causing a hot-running motor. Just block off the areas on either side of the radiator, and bottom that go between the FMIC and radiator so that the air is forced thru the radiator, not taking the less restrictive way; which is going out the gap between the 2.

I would say the first thing installed would be the turbo, DP and oil lines. once all that is squared away, you can get your FMIC and rest of accessories on. I have found it much easier to have an extra pair of hands to install the manifold and turbo seperate, but you can install both attached to one another as long as you have checked for clearances beforehand.

I also recommend making your own homemade brace between the turbo's housing and the stock location near the oil pan on the DS of the block. Adds peice of mind to the fact that it will be hard to crack/damage the gear up there.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installing turbo kit (JaredKaragen)

yup i will take my time... its the first time putting on turbo... it shouldnt be too hard but im gonna be careful.... n e advices???
Old 08-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or any advice on what i should get???