Notices

Installed my new Distro today...still missing... :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installed my new Distro today...still missing... :(

If anyone remembers my old post, I was having missing issues when I went to the dyno. About 12 people mentioned they had the same issues with Distributor king distros, so I swaped it out for an OEM...yet I'm still having problems.

I guess I ruled out that the distro WASN'T my problem.

I wonder if my one/or all of my plugs or fouled? I have only about 1000 miles on these plugs, but they are the R5671A-9 plugs which I've been told foul easily.

- Any input on the plugs? I'll also polly get a set of stock plug wires (i'm running MSD 8.5mm)

- Which ground wire would have the most effect of ignition output?

TIA!
Bryson

Old 01-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Installed my new Distro today...still missing... :( (Bryson)

have you pulled your plugs yet? if not do it and recheck the gap
Old 01-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah...I'll do that in a couple minutes...

I don't think it would have changed though. These are the same plugs that I dyno'd with and we set it to .025.

I'll check them for detonation as well
Old 01-10-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, that sucks man. Do you have an MSD on? I forget, I read your old post, but don't remember.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its just a stock Distro with an MSD Blaster2 coil
Old 01-10-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Bryson)

man my distributor king dizzy just went out on me a week after i put the freaking msd on got a code 8 (tdc sensor) and started missing and bogging all over the place oem dizzy fixed problems as for yours, what are you tunning the car with the dizzy you put in was is new?? every dizzy that ever goes bad on me has always been the ignition module at fault
Old 01-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope...95 GSR. Previous owner said it worked fine.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to put back the stock coil and put some spark plugs in with resistors in them and go from there...
Old 01-10-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: (DRAGLS)

You bought a new dizzy and didnt check the plugs first?
Old 01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pkoury)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pkoury &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You bought a new dizzy and didnt check the plugs first?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well...when the plugs look fine, you only have 1000 miles on them, and 12 people say they have the same issues with they're distro...Its kinda hard not to point fingers at the distro.

I know for a fact these plugs work fine in other setups. I've seen 600hp with these plugs.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:55 PM

You know race gas chews through plugs? Mostly causing more horsepower loss than anything but I wouldn't be too quick to discard the plugs as a possibility.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually only have about 10 miles on the engine with race gas (111).

I'll get some new plugs tommarow and try them out.

Prolly get a set of the same ones, and maybe a set thats 1 step hotter.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:03 PM

Edit: Reread...
Old 01-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running R5671A-9

I think those are 2 steps colder?

Old 01-10-2005, 05:07 PM

I would stick with them and just try to gap them a little tighter, if not go colder. You wont sacrifice much power and if it is the plugs they will stop misfiring.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:08 PM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (pkoury)

its wierd , but im only making 263whp and i cant run 7 series plugs , it misses , i run 9 series at a .20 gap and it fixed the miss.....i know its because of that stupid crane cap and coil......once i get those out of the equasion it will go back to normal ...but try a colder plug or a closer gap...
Old 01-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Am I running a 7 series plug then? I'm not really familure with how they label these things.

We gapped them down to .025 from .030 and it didn't do anything.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:21 PM
OG triple OG

whats the model number.....and try a .020 gap.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hella_JDM)

I am running the same plugs and I can vouch for the easy fouling. The slightest rich condition seems to wash them right out. I made over 640whp on them and had them gapped down to .018 with no misfire whatsoever. I need to take my car back for a retune, it seems to be a little rich out of boost and especially at idle. Swap them out for a new set and see what happens. Every time mine idles a little rough or misses a bit I swap the plugs and it fixes it right up. Good luck.

-Ryan
Old 01-11-2005, 02:41 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Re: (Kwuaymaikrup)

I'm waiting to see if the plug swap does anything for it.

I had a miss for 7 months I couldn't find and it would go away after I swapped plugs each time but come back about 1000 miles later.

turned out that I ruined one of my msd plug wires when I first applied boost (from the plug wires popping up under boost since my valve cover gasket was bad allowing crankcase pressure past the gasket into the spark plug hole pushing the wires up from underneath).

anyway, the ruined plug wire would arc down the side of the plug causing the miss. I didn't notice anything until the 9th set of plugs when I saw (literally) a black indented burn scar down the side of the plug.

tossed a new set of plugs and my old oem wires back on and BAM it was fixed.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stackz)

Just throughing this out there, but have you tried another set of spark plug wires? Maybe borrow some off a buddy that has no issues just to check it out? Gap the plugs at .32 cuase your just trying to figure out the missing problem. With that tight a gap you would need a stronger spark to keep it lit like a MSD 6A. Also remove your external coil and run the on in the distributer if you have not already tried that. The extrenal coil is useless without a MSD 6A/ 6AL backing it. Another thing to check for is your injectors harness for breaks in the lines along with the connectors that clip onto your injector (make sure there still intact). Have you put a fuel pressure guauge on your window so you can see what fuel pressure you get a WOT?
Old 01-11-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Re: (MIKES)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MIKES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just throughing this out there, but have you tried another set of spark plug wires? Maybe borrow some off a buddy that has no issues just to check it out? Gap the plugs at .32 cuase your just trying to figure out the missing problem. With that tight a gap you would need a stronger spark to keep it lit like a MSD 6A. Also remove your external coil and run the on in the distributer if you have not already tried that. The extrenal coil is useless without a MSD 6A/ 6AL backing it. Another thing to check for is your injectors harness for breaks in the lines along with the connectors that clip onto your injector (make sure there still intact). Have you put a fuel pressure guauge on your window so you can see what fuel pressure you get a WOT?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm with stupid.. Use some OEM wires that are realtively new - and throw some new plugs in there and see how it runs then. My assumption is your problem will be fixed. The plugs you used tend to foul easily, could be anything including an arcing wire somewhere.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Drag_On)

Maybe you cracked the porcelin on one of the plugs.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I actually only have about 10 miles on the engine with race gas (111).

I'll get some new plugs tommarow and try them out.

Prolly get a set of the same ones, and maybe a set thats 1 step hotter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, do you really need 9's in there? whats your compression? If it's 9 to 1 I deff. don't think you need 9's. . . .
Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea, do you really need 9's in there? whats your compression? If it's 9 to 1 I deff. don't think you need 9's. . . . </TD></TR></TABLE>

well these plugs were reccomended too me for the power that I will be making.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kwuaymaikrup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am running the same plugs and I can vouch for the easy fouling. The slightest rich condition seems to wash them right out. I made over 640whp on them and had them gapped down to .018 with no misfire whatsoever. I need to take my car back for a retune, it seems to be a little rich out of boost and especially at idle. Swap them out for a new set and see what happens. Every time mine idles a little rough or misses a bit I swap the plugs and it fixes it right up. Good luck.

-Ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks a lot for your input! I have in the past been running the car very rich at idle before I was able to mess with the hondata and get it set right. I'll try gapping them even more with the new set and see if that helps. It does kinda burp at idle, so I'll see if it helps that.

Anyone know if mounting the blaster coil sideways would effect its output? I remember MSD saying that it doesn't, but in this case it seems like anything could be causing this.

Thanks a lot guys

Quick Reply: Installed my new Distro today...still missing... :(