Notices

inline pump installation ?'s...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inline pump installation ?'s...

Well i finally have everything needed for my turbo install...the only thing is i dont know how to install the inline pump. Its a MSD 125psi inline pump...ive heard that it goes between the rail and the filter but i dont know where. Also...where do the pos and neg wires go...im assuming that the positive should be tapped into the main relay and the neg can just be grounded anywhere? If so then which wire do i tap into on the main relay? Some pics would help too if at all possible. Sorry i asked so much but i want to start the install tomorrow so i sorta need this ASAP. Thanks

PS-its a 90 CRX with a b18a1...i believe that the main relay is under the dash on the drivers side but im not sure seeing as ive never messed with it before.

Sean
Old 06-19-2003, 05:57 PM

Default Re: inline pump installation ?'s... (sCeRaXn)

theres a line that goes from a black cylinder on the upper left of your firewall (the fuel filter, you sounded confused about it), and to the passenger side of the fuel rail. Cut that lien and run it inline. The negative you can ground to any metal, the positive i grounded to a yellow and green wire on themain relay under the dash on teh drivers side.

sam
Old 06-19-2003, 06:00 PM

The pump goes between the fuel line going into the fuel rail. You will have to cut the fuel line and put the put in the middle between the filter and rail. When I had mines installed my mechanic put the pos into the battery and put a circular connecter on the end and the neg was just grounded somewhere in the car. Hope that helps. anyone else correct me if im wrong

on me..not the battery. It was wired so that it would only turn on when the ignitoin was on

Modified by siboi18 at 1:08 AM 6/20/2003
Old 06-19-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Re: inline pump installation ?'s... (siboi18)

Sweet...thanks for the help. I dont think that i should just wire it straight to the battery...sounds like a flooded engine to me. Any other suggestions or tips...pics would be the most helpful now that i know how to wire it.

BTW-i know where the fuel fitler is . I know that it sounded like i didnt but thats just because im a retard and didnt word it right.
Sean
Old 06-19-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Re: inline pump installation ?'s... (siboi18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siboi18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The pump goes between the fuel line going into the fuel rail. You will have to cut the fuel line and put the put in the middle between the filter and rail. When I had mines installed my mechanic put the pos into the battery and put a circular connecter on the end and the neg was just grounded somewhere in the car. Hope that helps. anyone else correct me if im wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

so your pump is always on? I thought you had to connect it so it only comes on with the ignition and everything else. Maybe you need a new mech.
eh..what do I know?
Old 06-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

electric fuel pumps are better at pushing fuel rather than pulling fuel.
you should mount the pump back by your fuel tank. there is a place on the drivers side of the gas tank to mount your pump. all you have to do is just tap into the factory lines. make sure you mount it with the inlet side of the pump higher than the outlet side of the pump to get a good flow of fuel.
as for the wiring, use a 30amp relay. you can use the factory signal wire for your signal to your relay to turn your pump on just like the factory one does.
one more thing...make sure you use a fuel filter in front of the pump.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:21 PM

Default Re: inline pump installation ?'s... (JDMwannaB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMwannaB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">electric fuel pumps are better at pushing fuel rather than pulling fuel.
you should mount the pump back by your fuel tank. there is a place on the drivers side of the gas tank to mount your pump. all you have to do is just tap into the factory lines. make sure you mount it with the inlet side of the pump higher than the outlet side of the pump to get a good flow of fuel.
as for the wiring, use a 30amp relay. you can use the factory signal wire for your signal to your relay to turn your pump on just like the factory one does.
one more thing...make sure you use a fuel filter in front of the pump.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you tapped into the fuel lines that were right by the tank, would a whole load of fuel be spewing out of the lines?????? Also, if one you were to install the pump between the filter and the rail, would it matter that the pump's inlet and outlet are of different sizes cause I know the MSD pumps are.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:59 PM

Default Re: inline pump installation ?'s... (superduperman)

Alright guys...thanks for the help. So you guys are sure that the yellow and green wire is the one that i have to tap into for the fuel pump? BTW...on my MSD fuel pump both the inlet and the outlet the same size so i dont have to worry about that. I could still use some pics for mounting referneces. Thanks

Sean
Old 06-19-2003, 11:18 PM

ttt

Sean
Old 06-19-2003, 11:52 PM

ok bro, heres everything pretty much all you need to know about installing a fuel pump...

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/fuelpump/

it should help you out alot...all inline pumps are very similar and about the same in instalation....

Old 06-20-2003, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually will not have fuel "spew" out unless the intank pump is running.
You will have you intank pump pull the fuel up out of the tank and to the inline pump which will push the fuel up the fuel line. As for the inlet side being higher than the outlet side of the pump...most inline fuel pumps instructions tell you to make sure the inlet side is higher than the outlet side so as to insure a constant flow of fuel to the pump. Your intank pump should keep that flow constant but I like to follow installation instruction from the manufactor. They did design and test it. Also, if you plan on keeping your intank pump and add the inline pump. There should be a check valve in the outlet side of the inline pump. Thats needs to be removed.