Notices

Ignition System Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition System Discussion

A lot of people are a bit skeptic to use MSD ignitions because they seem to have a higher failure rate then other ignition systems. Crane has a very reputable name in the industry and a lot more import guys tend to say run crane instead of MSD... However, I have seen a very large majority of you run MSD 6/7al's or the digital 6's.

I am in the market for a new ignition system since I keep blowing my spark out under high boost. I was leaning towards the msd digital 6 system or the hvc series.

I did a search prior to this post and found some good information but I thought I would ask everyone's experiences with their systems and which one would be the best for a 450whp motor with the hondata 4b. At 330whp my stock ignition started to fail so yes I do require an aftermarket ignition system. Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (GudeH23a)

Hmmn some people may just say to gap your plugs closer. I use the MSD digital 6 and although I am not boosted it has given me no problems whatsoever, knock on wood, and has a lot of nice features. Starter retard, rev limiter, 2 stage limiter, FI retard as well as retarding 1' per a given RPM.. Its an overall nice unit to have, however I have not used the Crane system to compare it to..
Old 08-19-2003, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (Jason kiDD)

I use MSD ignitions and have had pretty good luck with them. We used to use crane about 4 years ago but had a lot of failures. I don't know if they've improved their stuff since then or not.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (Jason kiDD)

Do you think i should just invest in the 6al since my hondata already takes care of the rev limiter, 2 stage limiter, and timing retard per degree of boost?

Where did you guys purchase your MSD ignitions from? I checked all over the net and found a few places sofar.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:21 AM

I bought mine from carparts.com back in the day when they had their discount coupons and such..
Old 09-03-2003, 07:46 AM
New User

I really hate playing devil's advocate, but I have numberous cars exceeding your level of power on stock ignitions. If yours was not keeping up, it's because something needed to be repaired, not neccesarily upgraded.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (VaporTrail)

The motor has gone under several other adjustments since last years tuning. I just want to make sure to have everything covered, $300ish for an ignition is not going to break me. Yes, you are correct. I have seen plenty of gsr's put out over 400 to the wheel on a stock ignition. However, my car is being difficult and I cant afford 2 8 hour trips to the dyno to find out i need an ignition box.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GudeH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you think i should just invest in the 6al since my hondata already takes care of the rev limiter, 2 stage limiter, and timing retard per degree of boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, I would stick with the stock ignition system.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiousity what is your plug gap at?
Old 09-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GudeH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you think i should just invest in the 6al since my hondata already takes care of the rev limiter, 2 stage limiter, and timing retard per degree of boost?

Where did you guys purchase your MSD ignitions from? I checked all over the net and found a few places sofar.

Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would use the 6AL over hondata's 2 step any day. Hondata cuts fuel and not spark. Do you really want fuel cut in your boosted car?? Stay away from their boost cut option.....its an engine killer!
Old 09-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (93LSivic)

i have had 2 msd ignitions and both of them intermittently failed (1 6a and 1 6al). I would try to stay with the stock ignition as long as possible. I would also look into finding a high power internal coil to use with some real good wires and plugs.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (blueturboteg)

Has anyone ever looked at these guys product ?

http://www.ignitionsolutions.c...shtml
Old 09-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (boosted hybrid)

We gapped the NGK's down to .026 i believe and i was still blowing out the spark. All tuning was done at Balanced Performance in Sugar Hills, Ga. The car peaked out at 330whp at 14.7psi due to the fact the spark kept blowing out. Another reason I think this could have happened was due to improper grounds at that time on the actual motor to the chassy.

I have another tuning appointment booked for the week of NOPI Nationals and I want to have everything said and done by the time I get there so I do not have to do anymore tuning in the near future.

XES on this board currently puts down 550+whp on his h23a with the 6al box so I think that the Digital 6 may be a little more then i really need. Plus its more moulah.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:05 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93LSivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would use the 6AL over hondata's 2 step any day. Hondata cuts fuel and not spark. Do you really want fuel cut in your boosted car?? Stay away from their boost cut option.....its an engine killer!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm agreed it's not the most ideal set up, but MANY factory boosted cars use fuel cut as a means of protecting the engine. I've used the 2 step on Hondata with boosted and non boosted cars with no adverse affects.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (Prod)

Ignition Solutions made some replacement coilpacks for VW's that seem to be better than the OEM ones. Some of theirs failed as well though, so its a toss up.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93LSivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would use the 6AL over hondata's 2 step any day. Hondata cuts fuel and not spark. Do you really want fuel cut in your boosted car?? Stay away from their boost cut option.....its an engine killer!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda did that from the factory (obviously) on the revlimiter too. Not optimal, but people are working on the ignition cut solution using the Honda ECU.

The older 5AL I have in my Mustang failed 4 times before they sent me one that didnt suck. The Crane HI-6 (older unit too) went 5 years in the Honda before I finally retired it. Maybe all the MSD failures are fluke, but I have a feeling their QC process isnt so great... as in they let the end-user QC it for them.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (GimpyAccord)

So how exactly do you know when the ignition has failed? You blow your motor or do the newer systems have some type of LED that will remain red/green when working properly?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone use B&M New Volt????

http://store.summitracing.com/...46049

Old 09-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car was having misfire problems past 24psi. I had the BKR-7ES plugs plugs in there with .024 gap. No love. I installed the MSD digital 6 and HVC coil...I made it to 24-25psi...still misfiring. The MSD unit did nothing for me.

Switched to a TONY1 recommended NGK plug and and a blaster ss coil and did numerous pulls around 25-26psi with no problems every time.

JAson
Old 09-04-2003, 06:57 PM
New User

Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (Blown90hatcH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car was having misfire problems past 24psi. I had the BKR-7ES plugs plugs in there with .024 gap. No love. I installed the MSD digital 6 and HVC coil...I made it to 24-25psi...still misfiring. The MSD unit did nothing for me.

Switched to a TONY1 recommended NGK plug and and a blaster ss coil and did numerous pulls around 25-26psi with no problems every time.

JAson</TD></TR></TABLE>

What plug is that I have some NGK 8 heat range gapped to .020 and missing up top at 25psi MSD Digital 6 and Blaster COil
Old 09-04-2003, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition System Discussion (Boostfed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What plug is that I have some NGK 8 heat range gapped to .020 and missing up top at 25psi MSD Digital 6 and Blaster COil</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man...I have the plug box in my car at another location. I will tell you that they are a NGK part number: R5671A-9 STock number: 5238

Jason
Old 09-04-2003, 07:14 PM
New User

AH That's a 9 heat range then I believe, **** I thought I was going cold with 8's
Old 09-04-2003, 07:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

R5671A-9 STock number: 5238

Jason</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ill keep that in mind, mine is also blowing out spark past 340 whp
Old 09-04-2003, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GudeH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how exactly do you know when the ignition has failed? You blow your motor or do the newer systems have some type of LED that will remain red/green when working properly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

when my MSD's failed they all just puked... period. i turned off the car, tried to restart when it was time to stage and it just cranked.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Man...I have the plug box in my car at another location. I will tell you that they are a NGK part number: R5671A-9 STock number: 5238

Jason</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just checked my spare box of plugs at home and its the same part# u have! im gonna need to slap it on next time i hit the dyno do u remember what u gapped them to?

Quick Reply: Ignition System Discussion