Ignition Advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Dos Pupusas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Advise

Hello guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on what ignition system to run.
My car is making a bit over 460whp and I want to reach the 500whp mark. I'm currently on stock OEM ignition.

I seem to be getting spark blowout on anything past 20psi. I tried closing the spark plug gap from 0.027" to 0.021" with little to no success. I also noticed my AFR went drastically to the rich side. At 17psi I was at 11.8:1 now I'm at 10.6:1 and the only thing that was changed was the spark plug gap. I have my theories as to why it did that but, why is that? Is it normal?

I understand that the M&W ignition system work really well, but I really don't want to spend that kind of cash on the car as I'm trying to sell it soon.
I made the mistake (I think) of buying a MSD Blaster SS external coil with MSD cap. I usually don't buy anything without doing proper research, but the price was reasonable at $89 shipped. I haven't installed it yet, but I hear they're not that good.

That's pretty much it. I want to upgrade the ignition and the most I'm trying to spend is $200-$300 bucks.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Ignition Advise

Check here, with Californiadad's setup. He's using the following components, (I'm using similar) with great results.

MSD Megarace coil
MSD 6A digital ignition (A mallory Hyfire 6 Digital ignition can do as well for those that don't like MSD)
MSD external cap
NGK 8.5 wires

Works great.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...951496&page=58
Old 04-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Close the gap a little more before buying more parts. OEM ignitions have made more than 600whp on other cars. I would buy new plugs and gap them to .018 give that a try first or an external coil should also work also, but then you need the cap and ignition box to power it also
Old 04-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No offense but I hate when people recommend staying with Oem ignition. YES it can make over 600 but it's not that great and very tiny plug gaps and your not getting the fuel potential out of the setup with a weak *** ignition system.

Go with what Mac said or with a Mallory or summit box and crane ps92 coil.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 AM
Dos Pupusas

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
No offense but I hate when people recommend staying with Oem ignition. YES it can make over 600 but it's not that great and very tiny plug gaps and your not getting the fuel potential out of the setup with a weak *** ignition system.

Go with what Mac said or with a Mallory or summit box and crane ps92 coil.
I looked up the summit box and crane coil.
Are these them?

Also, with those two items, can I use your ICM delete?

If that's the case, all this falls right into my budget.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gap them down and see if it fixes your problem...

Originally Posted by dantamparacer
Close the gap a little more before buying more parts. OEM ignitions have made more than 600whp on other cars. I would buy new plugs and gap them to .018 give that a try first or an external coil should also work also, but then you need the cap and ignition box to power it also
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes that is the summit box and crane coil. And they can be used with the icm bypass. You can gap the plugs way down and it will probably workout it's not ideal. Its up to you ifyouwant to upgrade. I am running that exact setup on my car and when switching from stock ignition to this setup my a/f ratios leaned a whole point from a more complete burn and it gains a lot of throttle response. I was also able to go from a 22 gap to a 37 gap at 16 psi boost higher than 16 psi I had some spark blow out and had to gap them to 32 but it's a huge difference from stock.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Yes that is the summit box and crane coil. And they can be used with the icm bypass. You can gap the plugs way down and it will probably workout it's not ideal. Its up to you ifyouwant to upgrade. I am running that exact setup on my car and when switching from stock ignition to this setup my a/f ratios leaned a whole point from a more complete burn and it gains a lot of throttle response. I was also able to go from a 22 gap to a 37 gap at 16 psi boost higher than 16 psi I had some spark blow out and had to gap them to 32 but it's a huge difference from stock.
Same with me, though I used the MSD 8207 Coil instead of the Crane coil. The summitt and mallory boxes even have an ignition rpm limit adjustment to work as a safety measure.

I too had to basically retune because I was slightly leaner from the more efficient burn. Was able to make my plugs last at least 6 months to a year longer instead of simply closing the gap (which can only do so much with the stock ICM. I did not use Turbo-LS's by pass, as my electrical genius of a partner was able to bypass without it, but never the less, it works flawlessly.

Don't let the picture of the summitt box fool you, its really not that ugly. I believe it comes in all black now. But its basically a privately-labeled Mallory digital 6 box.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What plugs are you running? Have you tried 4554's?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Msd digital 6 with hvc-2 coil. No problems here. Looking to the icm bypass soon.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Even in the light grey color its not an unsightly ignition box. here it is mounted in my bay

Old 04-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ever consider a COP option?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

COP is great but its not cheap by any means and only hondata s300 can run that retrofit piece otherwise it would require a complete stand alone. I did coil on plug years ago with AEM EMS and twinfire ignition module with 4 msd blaster ss coils. worked out very nicely but that was about 7 years ago on a completely different car and it was costly.

OP - there is also the route of using an M&W Pro 10 which will not require an ignitor bypass and is top notch but it comes with a pretty hefty price tag, not sure what your budgeting for the ignition system. I know the summit box is 150 coil is 68 and the ignitor bypass is 70. Total of 288 is what your willing to spend. i believe the M&W is kit is going to run close to 900 dollars
Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahh, thats right.. i forgot about that
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Dos Pupusas

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
What plugs are you running? Have you tried 4554's?
Had copper 7's on it. Now I got iridium 8's.

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
ever consider a COP option?
A bit to pricey.

Anyway, I went ahead and swapped the spark plugs for a set of Iridium 8's and gapped them to 0.020". that seems to have stopped the misfiring. At this point, I'll leave the car alone.
However, I do know that this is just a band aid. If I decide to keep the car I'll end up doing the ignition upgrade.
If I sell it, I'll advise the next owner to buy the required ignition components.
Thanks for your help guys.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:24 PM

I currently use the Iridium 8s (Stock #2668) and work well, but it was about perhaps 3 months, then it was time for the ignition upgrade.. So be ready
Old 04-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MSD does not even list a Megarace Coil as one of their products!?

Am I missing something here? Is it called something else?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just received my ignition system that was recommended by shodan, i cant wait to install it but i have a few more things coming still (ignitior bypass) from turbo ls and id like to install an afr and then i will retune.

i chose to use the mallory external coil and decided to try the summit 8.5mm wires just cuz they were cheaper but look to be of very nice quality too. i was surprised by the size and weight of the coil, its a monster.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if theres one thing ive learned on this site its to trust the advice of shodan and others here, anything thats been recommended to try has worked great for me and i used this forum for about a year and a half before i even made a single post. i have no doubt my cdi system will be awesome and i paid just under 400 shipped, my shipping is expensive.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Whiterice-gsr
i just received my ignition system that was recommended by shodan, i cant wait to install it but i have a few more things coming still (ignitior bypass) from turbo ls and id like to install an afr and then i will retune.

i chose to use the mallory external coil and decided to try the summit 8.5mm wires just cuz they were cheaper but look to be of very nice quality too. i was surprised by the size and weight of the coil, its a monster.
Going to be buying all of the same stuff for my car very soon.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
Going to be buying all of the same stuff for my car very soon.
Lmk when your ready sir I've got four made just need to get one deutsch connectors to finish them up
Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I did not use Turbo-LS's by pass, as my electrical genius of a partner was able to bypass without it, but never the less, it works flawlessly.
I hate to thread jack, but i was looking at the msd wiring diagram and i dont see anything about the ignitor delete. If i run the msd digital 6, extrenal coil with cap why would you need a icm delete?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The icm is a failing point due to being mounted inside the distributor and heat and load. You can run the msd off the positive coil trigger from the icm but they eventually fail. The bypass circuit allows signal from ecu to the msd or box of your choice without the ignitor and gets rid of that failing part with just a circuit

I guess you could also take the icm out of the distributor and way from heat source and require it that way but not sure what the failure rate on th would be if any
Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would use stock ignition for 500whp. I'm going to make 700-800 soon on stock ignition and e85
Old 04-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont recommened it at all, inefficient to say the least. i had spark blowing out at 10 psi. i seriously doubt u will get to your 7-800 hp on stock ignition. after spending all that money on a setup why would u ignore ignition, such a vital component?

Quick Reply: Ignition Advise