Notices

Ideas for brining underhood temps down

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideas for brining underhood temps down

I was just thinking this over the weekend when we were tuning.
Under the hood gets soooo damn hot. i dunno if its becuase the heat from my manifold or what. I am running the Loefab SST.
it seems like my charge pipes and intake manifold are sucking up alot of heat though too. The car feels great and doesnt seem to get heat soaked, but im sure the cooler it is under the hood the better.

Any ideas other than a vented hood?I have my fender liners out and the tray from under the front end and i should be getting some extra flow from the small gaps from the intercooler in the front end. but its not doing enuff. im thinking about running like dryer hose or something from the outside of the car into the turbo to get some cooler air in there, and maybe another one to just vent cooler air trapped from the front into the bay.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ideas for brining underhood temps down (itr206)

How much did you put down this weekend?

I was thinking of running a vented hood to help lower the temps under the hood.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ideas for brining underhood temps down (underpressure02)

we didnt go to the dyno . Me and jeff got together and did the street tuning. We kept it conservative until we get to the Dyno . and its absolutely sickening. Im impressed. Anyway im trying to get into his day at Xotic on the 15th to make some pump gas pulls. Id like to get 425-450 on pump gas that weekend . but we shall see how it goes.

But im not a big fan of vented hoods. thats why im trying to stay away from it if possible. i think scoops or something would be kinda ricey too. but the underhood temps are nasty. everything just gets too hot IMO.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try doing the old washer trick under the hood latches. It props up the hood to vent out heat, and also take off the weather stripping at the front windshield to allow more heat to vent.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=675668
Old 05-03-2004, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Ideas for brining underhood temps down (itr206)

is your manifold coated??? im coating my mani and hot side of turbo through jet-hot. supposedly it makes a huge difference, and for 240 for bolth i figure its worth the try.

Landon
Old 05-03-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ELSpool)

the weather stripping? you mean like the plastic that goes under the windshield wipers? i have a CF hood . so i dont have the rubber crap up front anymore. will the washers trick work pretty decent? i thought about that too , but i dont want it to look too goofy. . esp if it doesnt help much
Old 05-03-2004, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did because I run an SST as well, you can feel the heat on your windshield, so it helps for sure. Every little bit helps! And I don't have it proped up as high as the cars in that pic, just a few washers and removal of the weather stripping.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ELSpool)

maybe ill try that too . how many washers you put on? have any pics?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itr206)

It won't help with underhood temps, but it will help with the piping absorbing heat, try wrapping the manifold and downpipe with heat wrap, I think you can get it from summit. Also wrap the charge pipe. I had my manifold and downpipe wrapped, and it worked pretty good.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:14 AM

I just got my manifold, Downpipe and hot side on the turbo high temp coated. I got it done at http://www.hpcoatings.com Talk with rick if you do so. It is suppose to drop under hood temps by about 35% and it suppose to drop ambient temps by about 50% and should increase over hp by about 5%. I'll let ya know if this all holds true once I get everything on again and runningm which should be by the end of the week. I figure since Nascar and some other people like Nasa go through these guys there work is the best.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:17 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A shop up by me does thermal coatings. http://www.swaintech.com/
Old 05-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (m R g S r)

I have the exhaust wrap stuff laying around. Maybe ill do the DP awhile . im not really looking forward to taking the manifold off. So id rather try some other stuff 1st. that thing was a biznitch to put on . lol. maybe i might wrap the piping too. but i think that **** looks ugly and smells bad for a while. lol
Old 05-03-2004, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can also use a turbo blanket as well on the turbine side. they are affordable around the 100 bucks range
Old 05-03-2004, 07:33 AM

Default Re: (b18bturbo)

I question the logic behind wrapping your exhaust manifold. Yes U R retaing the heat so that it might lower your underhood temp. But that also means that UR sending hotter exhaust air through your turbo. So wouldn't that cause your turbo compressor to be hotter ?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lgcubana)

That is true. i have thought of that time and time again too , but everyone says its proven to help?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:44 AM

Default Re: (lgcubana)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lgcubana &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I question the logic behind wrapping your exhaust manifold. Yes U R retaing the heat so that it might lower your underhood temp. But that also means that UR sending hotter exhaust air through your turbo. So wouldn't that cause your turbo compressor to be hotter ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hotter air has more energy and thus more potential to spool a turbine quicker, so yes it will make the turbo retain heat, but it should help spool time and do a great deal in keeping underhood temps down.
I'd think the only thing you should be concerned with is your oil temp and I'd recommend an oil cooler.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamCracka)

my oil temp is fine. its the underhood temps im worried about because it seems like my piping and intake manifold are hotter on this new set up then i remembered it to be before.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my oil temp is fine. its the underhood temps im worried about because it seems like my piping and intake manifold are hotter on this new set up then i remembered it to be before. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hondata gasket helps. Also, why not wrap the intake pipe to keep the heat out? I was planning on trying this.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

Good question...Ive noticed underhood temps are getting pretty high as its beginning to get warmer out.

The rubber weatherstripping on the front of the hood should stay on unless youre running pins/locks, IMO, as its there to block air from pushing up on the front of the hood. It makes sense though if you have pins to remove that stripping and add washers to the hinges.

Old 05-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (newgsrdriver)

thermo-tec
wrap your hotside, downpipe, charpe pipe, plug wires,..... good **** and keeps things cooler.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my oil temp is fine. its the underhood temps im worried about because it seems like my piping and intake manifold are hotter on this new set up then i remembered it to be before. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just implying that if you or anyone decides to wrap the manifold, hot-side of the turbo, and downpipe, it's going to keep a lot of heat inside the turbo and thus increase oil temps.
Are you running a Hondata gasket? If it's really that big of a deal to you and if you've got the money, water injection is the way to go for ~200 degree reduced combustion temps and at this point the temps of the engine bay shouldnt have that much effect on power.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamCracka)

I know kinda of ricey. but what are our thoughts on this. Someone photochopped an Evo8 vent on my hood to see what it would look like. i would prob bring it further towards the front. but that would prob help too.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know kinda of ricey. but what are our thoughts on this. Someone photochopped an Evo8 vent on my hood to see what it would look like. i would prob bring it further towards the front. but that would prob help too.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

PLEASE, NO!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (espanol)

here is it with it a little more forward

Old 05-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (espanol)

ahhh, that snow brings back memories lol, i used to live in lansdale/telford pa