Notices

I Want to learn

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Want to learn

Hey guys, right now i have a fully built b16a. That i did a decent amount of work to little stuff like injectors,intake mani,turbo kit,fuel pump dropping the head on cams, timeing, and some other stuff. But i had the bottom end and top end built my a machine shop guy. I plan on building another b16a again but i want to do it all my self this time bottom end top end everything. This is were my question comes to play lol i want to get familiar with the internals of a b series motor,by practicing on a junk or blow motor. I dont plan on putting any money into the motor just tearing it apart and reassembling it, for practice on checking clearances and ring gaps and just to learn. Before i buy a good motor and spend thousands of dollars on and do it wrong. My question is do any of you guys have any or know of any people who have blown or unwanted motors, even if it's blown so bad it cant be repared. I am willing to pay for this motor of course and I klnow this might be an odd question but I want to learn and u cant beat experience and cant have enough practice. I live in the CT area so if anyone know of anything or anyplace thatsd can help me please respond. Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Want to learn (b16bri)

sounds like a WTB add. post in the classifieds.

probably not the best time to ask. i'd say mid summer there will be plenty at the dump. lol
Old 02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You want to do it yourself, you don't need a practice motor to do that. Get the factory service manual, and read it. It's not technically that hard, you just need to keep your mind on the details, and remind yourself every thing you do matters with a motor. Keep everything clean, (take the oil pump apart, you'll be surprised how much crap accumulates in there, clean the oil passages, clean everything) Understand how everything works, follow the torque specs and procedures in the book, and you'll be fine. You don't need practice/experience to do this well, just competence/attention. When you check a clearance, you're not changing anything anyway, unless you overtighten the part when you do it. There are things to learn of course, like that assembly lube can throw off a plastigauge reading, etc, but it's still easy. As far as ring gap, you shouldn't need to alter that if you follow the piston mfg's specs for piston/wall clearance. If the machine work is done right, the ring gap will be in spec. Esp with moly coated rings. (wiseco, etc) Be sure to put a good coating of assy lube on everything when you assemble it, and don't fire it until you cranked it enough to build oil press. Once it's running, there's a thread somewhere on here about how to break in a motor from motoman, basically, you run it briefly, say until it's warm, change the oil, and then beat on it, increasing the rpm each time you get on it, letting the motor slow the car back down in each gear. That's supposedly the best way to seat your rings, which is the only thing that really changes during the break in. Good luck with your next build..
Old 02-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rorik)

Ok that makes since but for checking cleanaces lest say rod or main bearing cleanaces what do you do it there not in spec ? How do you increase or decrease them ?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rorik)

Also i have a service manual and the clearances and torque specs in there are for a stock motor will thoes cleances and spec be the same for a motor i'm building for lets say 400whp I mean i no when u buy rods and stuff they might come with there own specs but. How good is a stock motor manual when there nothers not stock you no what i mean ?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (b16bri)

building motors is easy.

if the bearing clearences are not in spec, then you can get oversized bearings depending how out of spec it is. both honda and ACL sell oversize bearing but seeing as there are honda dealers everywhere you can just go to one and order a pair of bearings or however many you need.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CoreyR)

Ok so motor building is easy but does anyone know any good junk yards, or salavge yard, or any shops / sites that sell b series motors for cheap. I mean i'm not trying to build it i just want to play around with it. the motor can even be blown idc I just dont want to spend 2000 on a used jdm one. Dose anyone have any or know of any anyone would be willing to sell one ?