Notices

I should know this but.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 01:25 PM
You_Get_Vapors

Default I should know this but.....

Is there a drain plug on the block that I have to remove to drain the coolant, or can I just undo the radiator drain? I dont have a torque wrench, will I have to torque the block plug if removed? Where is the block drain plug? B16
Old 06-16-2003, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I should know this but..... (You_Get_Vapors)

If you have a turbo, you most likely cannot drain the block as the turbo will be obstructing the bolt.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:44 PM
You_Get_Vapors

Default Re: I should know this but..... (Andrew 825SM)

No turbo
Old 06-16-2003, 01:52 PM
You_Get_Vapors

help!!!
Old 06-16-2003, 01:55 PM
namechangeagain

just drain the radiator....then put fresh coolant in....run the car...let the new coolant go thru....drain again....and put more in
Old 06-16-2003, 02:02 PM
You_Get_Vapors

Default Re: I should know this but..... (zerogravity)

Will this get all the old coolant out? Damn I havent drained a radiator for so long, but i neva undid a block drain plug. Just wanted to know it it was really nessesary. Thanx.

Old 06-16-2003, 02:04 PM
namechangeagain

yeah it should just push all the old coolant out....when u do the new....it'll run the new thru...push the old out.....run ur car for a few days to get the new stuff in....then drain again and redo

they might have some solvent u put in at advanced auto or something to clean the insides of the block that u put in ur coolant....im not gonna say for sure but they might
Old 06-16-2003, 02:40 PM

opening up the block plug will release LOTS of coolant. but its behind the exhaust manifold. u should be able to access it with a wrench. its worth the time to open it up if you can. I dont like having 16 gallons of coolant/water to dump.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:54 PM

Default Re: I should know this but..... (Turbo E)

the block plug is accessible with the exhaust manifold on. its a 19mm socket if i remember correctly, its really ****** hard to get off.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:06 PM
namechangeagain

Default Re: I should know this but..... (94goldjungsr)

yeah thats why i was like....eh just do a flush.....cuz its a pain
Old 06-16-2003, 03:23 PM
You_Get_Vapors

Thanks guys, It looks like it is to the left or the header. I dont have a socket the big or a torque wrench so im just gonna flush it with water till it runs clean. Then ill fill her up with Honda Anti freeze. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:47 PM

yea its on the front of the block right below the little web you chip off for most turbos to clear the block. theres like a ring around it.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:35 PM
You_Get_Vapors

Default Re: I should know this but..... (94goldjungsr)

LOL I didnt get to it today but I prolly will tomorrow. I did recharge my K&N and check the plugs. I think Ill change the coolant and tranny fluid tomorrow. I didnt have any place to dump the coolant and the filter took to long to dry. Thanks for all the help. Next brake job.grrrrrr.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zerogravity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah it should just push all the old coolant out....when u do the new....it'll run the new thru...push the old out.....run ur car for a few days to get the new stuff in....then drain again and redo

they might have some solvent u put in at advanced auto or something to clean the insides of the block that u put in ur coolant....im not gonna say for sure but they might</TD></TR></TABLE>

What a waste of coolant and time. I bet I can flush my system faster then you can...

I don't mean to bust some heads arround here, but common people!!! Drain the coolant from the bottom of the radiator. Take your thermostat housing off (2 bolts), take the thermostat out and put the housing back on and put the bolts on... hand tight is ok. Next get inside the car and move your heater control lever to the HOT position. This opens up your heater core that should be flushed out as well when you do this to properly clear the system out. Now take the top radiator hose off and point it down so it will drain under the car. Next get your water hose you used yesterday to wash your car and stick it into the radiator opening where you took the upper hose off. Turn on the water and watch all that **** come out of your coolant system.

Work smart people and not hard!!!
Old 06-16-2003, 07:56 PM
You_Get_Vapors

Default Re: I should know this but..... (JRSCCivic98)

All the draining and flushing should be done with the car off right? Why take out the thermostat?

PS. thanks for the text boox reply. I need a helms....
Old 06-16-2003, 08:07 PM

Yes, with the car off... lol

You take the thermostat out because when it's cold... (the coolant and water) the thermostat closes. If it's closed you can't run the water throught the whole system. It'll stop at the thermostat. Oh yeah... put the thermostat back in when you're done obviously. And while you're at it... since you've got the thermostat out anyway, take it inside your house and fill a small pot with water and put the thermostat in it... then put it on the stove-top and bring the water up to temp. See... that's how a thermostat works. Oh yeah... it does that cuz it's magic... don't ask.

btw, if you've had the thermostat in the car for a while might as well get a new one and a new thermostat gasket. It's not expensive and since you're in there anyway... just change it.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:19 PM
You_Get_Vapors

The car has almost 45k on it. Will i need a new gasket anyway even if i dont replace the thermostat?
Old 06-16-2003, 09:17 PM
namechangeagain

yeah thats cool man....but im saying if he didnt want to go all thru that **** then just do it like that.....but if he wants to take the time to do that then all good