Notices

I had the worse experience today.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:21 AM
FastNFurious

Default I had the worse experience today.........

Alright I just got my car done a week ago running 10 psi boost with the VAFC hack untunned. Well I decided to get my car tuned so I called up the only shop I have heard of in western Washington. The shop is called Turbo Technology INC, located in Tacoma, Washington.

Over the phone I talked to one of the workers about getting my car tuned and if they tune with VAFC. They said yes and I was curious so I asked if they tuned hondata also, He said "Uhhhhh ya, I pretty sure we do those things too". So I was ok..... well can you get me in on Monday(today).

Well anyways I went there today and already being kinda nervous/excited about how much power and how my car well perform, I met what appeared to me as one of the biggest idiots. When I came up to the shop, this guy came out and was talking to me about my setup and what I wanted to have done.
I told him I wanted 10 psi tuned with my VAFC.
He said "Well what kind of EMS are you using."
I repeated to him once again that I was using a VAFC and than I pointed to it.
He than was like "Ohhhh the blue thingy."
Right at that point I was like plzzzzzzzz god don't let this MORON touch my car.

I also told him that I was retarding the timing at .5 per psi with a MSD BTM. He said that was way to low and once again I was like WTF??????

Well anyways, I get the bung for the Wideband sensor welded in my DP and we pull the car over to the dyno and hook the **** up. And yes, it turns out this retard is the one thats going to tune my car!?!?!?!

This guy doesn't even know **** about my car. He asks me "Oh, what does your car idle at, like 9 thousand something?"

Well with everything hooked up I stupidly decide to follow through and make a run. I start going and the car just studders and acts all wierd and I ask him whats going on. He chuckles and says "oh whoopsies I have the dyno brake on"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I hit 4 gear and floor it and my max power = 175.0 and I'm like **** that sucks at 10psi. Well this idiot examines the air fuel ratio graph and it's reading 14.3 all the way across in a perfect straight line. He says "well, looks like your pretty lean." I'm like WTF how the hell could I be that lean? He than tells me to add fuel and I'm like WTF?
I thought this guy would know how to use the VAFC and tune a fu*kin car and he's telling me to adjust it??? I told him that my settings were maxed and I couldn't add more fuel or i would get a CEL. He than said ok, we'll just crank the fuel pressure up. He sets it to like 45-50psi and a few minutes later he remembers that he put the wrong wideband sensor in and that why were getting 14.3 across the board????

He doesn't change the fuel pressure back and insists we do another run. Well this is what we got.

I get 175.2 whp and am pissed.

he than tells me to go ahead and play around with the settings and try to lean it out here and there. And I'm like WTF whose getting ****** paid to tune the car here?????????

I change the settings slightly and we run it again and get the same results and than I'm like **** this I'm outta here. I end up paying 165 bucks for **** and a headache.

Can anyone give me some advice on this, It's obvious I need hella tuning. Anyone know any decent tuning shops in western washington? Or should I go back here and just say "**** you" and tune it myself to 12:1 A/F??

From looking at the graph what is my power potential?? Could I hit 240 WHP??

Thanks for reading this and any help.

Modified by David555 at 9:36 AM 10/7/2003
Old 10-07-2003, 12:42 AM
FastNFurious

if my dyno graph isn't showing up. right click on it and hit properties and copy and paste the location into your browser. IT should work than.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (David555)

why would you EVER go to someone like that? id rather not dyno at all.

also DITCH THAT AFC HACK IMMEDIATELY for over 7-8psi
Old 10-07-2003, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94goldjungsr)

Read your VAFC instruction book, it is not hard to operate at all. While you are paying them ~$150 to tune yourself, you are using their $100,000 piece of equipment.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DITCH THAT AFC HACK IMMEDIATELY for over 7-8psi</TD></TR></TABLE>

What is your reasoning for saying this? He has the AFC Hack setup properly and is taking out timing during boost?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:48 AM

wow, that guy seems like a real stooge. definatly get your car to another dyno ASAP...where the dyno operators are familiar with operating a dyno... and maybe even tuning.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mister2racer)

heres your graph dude

looks like your running extremely rich on the high side.... you should try street tuning it to the best of your ability then take it to the dyno again....better than getting some porch monkey to do it.

I was able to get 260hp out of my car by street tuning, then my tuner did the rest and was able pull another 33HP by playing with the timing and fuel a bit more...
Old 10-07-2003, 07:27 AM

Default Re: (MiraiZ)

[QUOTE=MiraiZ]...better than getting some porch monkey to do it.

QUOTE]

You say something like that around me -- your liable to get smacked.. Watch what you say..
Old 10-07-2003, 07:38 AM

Default Re: (MiraiZ)

Yeah man u seem to be running toooo rich from 5k all the way up to 7k... if u lean all that out and especialy where u are running crazy rich at from 6.5k-7k u could get up there in the 230-250 range easy probably.

Modified by greekspeed at 5:00 PM 10/7/2003
Old 10-07-2003, 09:12 AM

Default Re: (beta13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beta13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Read your VAFC instruction book, it is not hard to operate at all. While you are paying them ~$150 to tune yourself, you are using their $100,000 piece of equipment.

What is your reasoning for saying this? He has the AFC Hack setup properly and is taking out timing during boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lack of adjustability
Old 10-07-2003, 09:21 AM

First off i can tell that you are a noob if you went to a domestic shop to get your car tunned. They are great guys there and all but they tune off FMU setups and dont reall know too much about imports.
I am curious.......PM me and tell who tuned it, or tried to.
I am down there about 2-3 times a week to get stuff.
thats too bad man, you should of saved up a little more money and bought a WB then tunned yourself.
The place i have heard alot of good stuff from is CarbConnection in kirkland. Try em out. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't believe you actually stayed there if they where that dumb
Old 10-07-2003, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Drag_On)

Porch monkey porch monkey, porchmonkey. He was referring to the guy as an idiot. he wasnt making a racial remark. its people like you who keep racism going strong.. Everything has to be some kind of racial remark. You can clearly read and see he was calling the guy an idiot, and that was all. Internet thuggin in full effect. "You say something like that around me -- your liable to get smacked.. Watch what you say..""

As for the guy who posted, i would DEFINETLY go to ISA in tacoma. They know their hondas and would definetly help you tune your car. You should get rid of the vafc and run uberdata. If you read up on some of the REALLY knowledgable guys "j_davis and Filetofit" you will get all the info you need on how the vafc hack isnt a very good idea. Sorry for the crappy dyno time also. You could figure for every PSI you boost you should roughly add 8-10 hp per psi, that will give you a rough guestimate to where your power should be.

Old 10-07-2003, 09:41 AM

I would have been like peace once I heard"Oh that blue thingy"
Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also DITCH THAT AFC HACK IMMEDIATELY for over 7-8psi</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm running a lot more than 8psi with a V-AFC and my car runs fine. i do have a FMU though.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:40 AM
FastNFurious

The dudes name was Gene. This was my first time ever working with a dyno and a "tuner."
So, yes I am a Noob, but this is the only tuning place I could find. Over the phone the guy who made the appointment said that it would be no problem to tune it with a vafc and when I get there, they don't know **** about anything. I will look into those other places.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag_On &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You say something like that around me -- your liable to get smacked.. Watch what you say..</TD></TR></TABLE>
would you like a tissue?
Old 10-07-2003, 12:12 PM

How many runs did you get? I went to a domestic shop also and the guy just told me to mess with it also. My first run looked very similar to yours going sub 10 afr and I just leaned it out untill I got a smooth 11.5-12 across the graph. It wasnt that hard really, vafc tuning is overrated.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:24 PM

Default Re: (DIY_Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIY_Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">......
As for the guy who posted, i would DEFINETLY go to ISA in tacoma.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

There basicly the same company. Turbo Tech is right next door, the dyno is in ISA's building.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:33 PM
FastNFurious

Ya, that's right it was in ISA. Which is right next to Turbo technology. I think they are partners or some ****. Anyways, I put 3 runs in and than said **** it.
Ya when I think about it now I could have tunned it myself in like 8-10 runs but seriously after all the stuff I hear about how important tuning is, I was scared **** of this fruit loop and i wanted to bail. I think I'm just going to buy a wide band and a sensor and street tune it myself.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag_On &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You say something like that around me -- your liable to get smacked.. Watch what you say..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah BUSTA! Actually he's a lengthy amount of wires and cables away from you. Im not quite sure how far JAPAN is away from north dakota, but im guessing he's safe.

Haha if it makes you feel anybetter here's my downpipe I got for $170.

Worth every penny huh?
(basically I have to get it all redone)

They're happy to take your money, but when it comes to the service.....

Modified by racinskittle at 10:51 PM 10/7/2003
Old 10-07-2003, 01:50 PM
FastNFurious

they made that for you and it broke or what? Are you in washington or wisconsin?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (David555)

Im in wisconsin. They made it for me. I payed them $170 and told them put 2.5" in. I think the guy needs a math lesson because 2.5 doesn't equal 2" !! Plus the welding's shitty. THEN they told me I'd have to pay to have it fixed because my fan was in the way???? Idk why they didn't feel the need to tell me they couldn't do 2.5 because my fan was in the way.

actually that reminds me...it's time for his 3rd call this week on how he's going to fix his mistake.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (racinskittle)

i bet that's what i was running when i was using the afc hack...

afc = worthless, sure you may THINK you car runs great, hell you may be putting out 200 to the wheels, but remember you're still at 10 psi. Get hondata, AEM or Uberdata - they're all the same

-ryan
Old 10-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I had the worse experience today......... (David555)

I went to Carb connection in Kirkland (425)820-1871, back when all I had was a Vafc. They have been around for a long time- Alex (the owner) is a good guy and so are all of the guys that work there. They have a younger guy there (I can't remember his name off the top of my head) that does the import tuning, and I've heard very good things about his work. Ask them about getting Hondata! That is mostly what they work with for Imports- along with FAST, HALTECH, SPEEDPRO, AEM (I think they went to Cali for training), and most other tuning devices.
Hope my opinion helps....
Old 10-07-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tegasaurus)

how do i tune uberdata? I would need a labtop when im on the dyno correct?

Sorry about the noob question, but I dont know how to street tune uberdata. Can it be done?

Quick Reply: I had the worse experience today.........