I am so happy for my friend!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:30 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am so happy for my friend!!

Some of you guys know ,because ive mention it, that i have a friend with a SOHC non Vtec motor thats boosted and he uses Vitara Pistons.. Well yesterday he experienced bad news and good news.

Bad news--> one of his injector wires got loose so one of the injectors stopped working..So one of his pistons leaned out and melted...

Good news--->He got a used Vitara piston,put it in in like 3 hours and then went to the track..His best time so far was 12.60 @ 110mph on SLicks... So last night he went to the track and hit a 12.3@111.7mph :shock:

Needless to say he was happier than a dog with 3 tails

His setup is:1998 Civic DX coupe
D16Y7 motor
D16Y8 Intake Manifold
Vitara pistons on PG6 rods
Custom made Log Manifold
Volvo T3(.48/.42) turbo
Tial 35mm WG
Starion FMIC
2.5" Downpipe and Exhaust
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
DSM injectors
Aeromotive Fuel regulator
Tuned on the AFC alone and he runs 16-18PSI
Stock OBDII DX Ecu
JDM SOHC LSD tranny i dunno what clutch he has(but its not the stock one)

Car has A/C and has No weight reduction.Driver is a heavy man that weights 260lbs

I am more than proud of him and one day ill be running those times on my Vitara piston setup..I think i have enough to do it too :D

I wonder if he could touch 11's ditching the AFC and going Uberdata.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:39 AM

Default Re: I am so happy for my friend!! (fjt)

damn those are some hella nice times
Old 08-27-2004, 04:57 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice
I am guessing he didnt have an EGT gauge? I bet one of those "shitty" A/F gauges might have saved that piston Oh well he got it running right
Old 08-27-2004, 05:02 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I am so happy for my friend!! (si2die4)

He has a Greddy EGT...I dunno how he didnt noticed..Probably it just happened in a blink of an eye during WOT acceleration..

Old 08-27-2004, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bad news--&gt; one of his injector wires got loose so one of the injectors stopped working..So one of his pistons leaned out and melted...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could you explaing the "injector wire got loose" part?

How were his electrical connections secured in the first place?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:01 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I am so happy for my friend!! (EE_Chris)

Well aparently it was not wired in correctly and a cable got loose/disconnected so the injector stopped working. I dont know how he secured his electrical connections..He did all the work on his car..
Old 08-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tell him, Solder and Heat Shrink Wrap is your friend, oh and that his times are kickass!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Re: (Tchleung)

I would agree with the solder and heat shrink.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Re: (FOrSfEd)

****. thats a fast sohc coupe.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well aparently it was not wired in correctly and a cable got loose/disconnected so the injector stopped working. I dont know how he secured his electrical connections..He did all the work on his car..</TD></TR></TABLE>

All I was 'hoping' for was a response like "he used those crimp connectors" to demonstrate WHY you don't **** around with those things.

I'm sorry to hear that your friend burned **** up - but I hope it wasn't due to his own electrical ineptness and perhaps a wire, with pin attached, fell out of a socket somehow.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:06 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I am so happy for my friend!! (EE_Chris)

ha ha maybe thats what happened.. i havent seen the motor latelly..He just told me "An injector wire got loose/disconnected so the car broke a piston"

BTW: I guess it was his mistake, he is not a mechanic, just a regular guy who decided to build his car on his own with what he knows. For being running 12's i think he has done a Heck of a job.. I know licenced mechanics that wish they could build something like that
Old 08-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whoa wait a second. i jsut read that he is only using the AFC hack on all of this for 16-18 psi!?! I'm guessing he has the GM 3 bar map sensor into the dealy too. Can you ask him what sensor "in/out setting he used? That's alot of bosot on a afc. kidan dangerous. has he dyno tuned it himself or jsut kinda go by butt dyno? Overall it sounds scketchy lol
Old 08-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if the injectors lost connection meaning it wasn't working wouldn't that cycl. just go dead. if there's no fuel theres no combustion
Old 08-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just before the connection was lost tehre was prolly a tiny bit of fuel inejcted and enoguh to make a spark. spark with barely enough fuel and a SHITLAOD of air. eep lol
Old 08-27-2004, 10:02 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whoa wait a second. i jsut read that he is only using the AFC hack on all of this for 16-18 psi!?! I'm guessing he has the GM 3 bar map sensor into the dealy too. Can you ask him what sensor "in/out setting he used? That's alot of bosot on a afc. kidan dangerous. has he dyno tuned it himself or jsut kinda go by butt dyno? Overall it sounds scketchy lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes he just uses an AFC as fuel management..He still has the OBDII Ecu so he cant chip it or do something with it.. He is Saving for a Haltech but i will try to convince him to save that money and just go Uberdata

He uses a Missing Link(as far as i know)

He dynoed like 8 months ago 250ish whp(dont remember exactly) and 264lb/ft..

Old 08-27-2004, 10:03 AM

Default Re: (vaporboy12)

awesome times. your buddy has one hell of a single cam!!
just think that youll be up there with him soon......
Old 08-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hrm. crazy. lol
Old 09-01-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: (fjt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes he just uses an AFC as fuel management..He still has the OBDII Ecu so he cant chip it or do something with it.. He is Saving for a Haltech but i will try to convince him to save that money and just go Uberdata

He uses a Missing Link(as far as i know)

He dynoed like 8 months ago 250ish whp(dont remember exactly) and 264lb/ft..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm.. Dont think hes using an afc hack with a missing link.. If he does have a missing link then he must have some type of fmu or something along those lines..

Oh, and its good to see nice times for the y7 motor with vitara pistons.. My vitara/y7 project starts next month..
Old 09-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tgreaves)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tgreaves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmm.. Dont think hes using an afc hack with a missing link.. If he does have a missing link then he must have some type of fmu or something along those lines..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah Iw as wodnering about this. no 3 bar, and he's boosting 16-18psi with a missing link. It all just doesnt go right. Sounds like a basic FMU setup to me?
Old 09-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty sure that the reason his motor blew wasnt because of the faulty injector wiring....
Old 09-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I am so happy for my friend!! (si2die4)

just how happy IS a dog with more than one tail?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah Iw as wodnering about this. no 3 bar, and he's boosting 16-18psi with a missing link. It all just doesnt go right. Sounds like a basic FMU setup to me?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My god.. An fmu setup running 16-18 psi.. Uhhh.. Thats like 232 psi of fuel pressure....Right??
Old 09-01-2004, 09:54 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Ok he had an FMU and Missing link when he was running 12.60..Around 1-2 month ago he got rid of the FMU and he replaced it for something else(i dunno if its an Aeromotive regulator or something like that)...but he still uses the ACF for fuel management as the only thing beside the Stock ECU..
Old 09-01-2004, 10:00 AM

Default Re: (fjt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok he had an FMU and Missing link when he was running 12.60..Around 1-2 month ago he got rid of the FMU and he replaced it for something else(i dunno if its an Aeromotive regulator or something like that)...but he still uses the ACF for fuel management as the only thing beside the Stock ECU..</TD></TR></TABLE>

The fmu is a piggy back unit that goes after the fpr.. If he got an aeromotive fpr then he would still need the fmu if going that route..

So he went from the fmu to the afc hack.. Im guessing he has a 3 bar with BIG injectors..
Old 09-01-2004, 10:15 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Alright i just called him and asked exactly what he did..
He took the FMU out and now he's runing a 1:1 Fuel Regulator(aeromotive) and a Missing link with the Apex AFC...Those where the words out of his mouth.

He has DSM 450 injectors

Quick Reply: I am so happy for my friend!!