Notices

How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's??

What is the easiest method? I have the tranny mounted to the block already, all hanging on a hoist...

***UPDATE***
I think I will drop her in just like this

ok now I'm just trying to show off my new toy. can't wait to see what this turbo can do... looks pretty at least! lol, sorry I'm just siked, getting real close now...

BIG thanks to TheShodan for hooking me up with this beautiful turbo

the mani and turbo should be in soon (from being jet coated ), but I'm wondering if it is in fact easier to mount the turbo/mani on the head first then drop the entire setup in? or should I drop the tranny/longblock in first, then add the mani and turbo on with motor in engine bay?

basically, should I wait for turbo or just drop the freakin motor in?

Thanks!

Modified by turbosi03 at 8:15 AM 12/17/2004

Modified by turbosi03 at 8:33 AM 12/17/2004
Old 12-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's?? (turbosi03)

I don't know...but that is one bling engine!
Old 12-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's?? (HXMan)

i just left the turbo stuff off and droped the car on the motor. didnt have access to a hoist and i was the only one available at the time to do it...took me about 30min to get it all bolted up.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Re: How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's?? (flip1199)

Put the engine/trans on blocks of wood and lower the car onto it. It's much easier than using a hoist
Old 12-12-2004, 05:36 PM

i wouldn't wanna drop that in... its looks too pretty...
Old 12-12-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's?? (turbosi03)

well i put my motor in first and then bolten the manifold with the turbo already attached on while the motor was in the bay. and as im sure you know its easiest and most convienient to tap your IM for whatever gauges before you install the motor and same for the turbo manifold.
that motor looks ****** crazy by the way. I remember your last setup. What all did you change?
Old 12-12-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's?? (donkiman)

really? dropping the car onto the motor is that much easier?? I'm guessing you push the car with the front end up on a floor jack over the motor...? hmm...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donkiman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i put my motor in first and then bolten the manifold with the turbo already attached on while the motor was in the bay. and as im sure you know its easiest and most convienient to tap your IM for whatever gauges before you install the motor and same for the turbo manifold.
that motor looks ****** crazy by the way. I remember your last setup. What all did you change?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man! your getting me thinking I should get off my *** and drop the motor in already...

what changed? much easier to tell you what stayed... same fully built head from last setup, and stock tranny check out link in my sig for new setup details...
same B16a2 platform 84mm bore but took out the stroker kit, along with a completely new turbo system front to back (tossed the drag kit and went custom).

last setup had JG engine dynamic sleeves ...
this block was blessed by Benson and Earl

Old 12-12-2004, 06:41 PM

I say add more bling add more BLING....
Old 12-12-2004, 06:44 PM

Add a chrome intake and exhaut manifold to finish up that valve cover...

Then you'll be really bling BLINGING ...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-12-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's?? (CivicEJ1)

that motor is almost to clean I wouldent want to get it dirty
Old 12-12-2004, 09:14 PM
N2O

Default Re: How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's?? (dumpeDc2)

I drop motors in complete minus the exhaust but everything else is on them. I also use a host it is easier if you are ding the job by yourself.

-Duck-

PS Nice motor!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's?? (N2O)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by N2O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I drop motors in complete minus the exhaust but everything else is on them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's how I do it. everything but the turbo, DP and Distributer/wires

You should run your oil feed, put on rear mount bracket, install wiring harness & take off your front Tq mounts and your good to go.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hope it runs as good as it looks
Old 12-12-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Re: How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's?? (darkdayz)

not to hate, but common this is a stupid question. i think you just wanted to show off your motor, why don't you just make a thread about it? i
Old 12-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

slide it in from underneath works great.

no need to rent a hoist.
just need 2 big jacks and some cardboard.

thats for just an engine though, I guess if you have a big turbo strapped on it might be harder to fit in there.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

This week i will put the engine in my car.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take the turbo and exhaust manifold off the engine

just drop it in engine+tranny alone

its much easier than having the hassle it from underneith.... i am very used to use a cherry picker, so its basically a matter of a few minutes with a friend helping
Old 12-13-2004, 05:39 AM

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

great! thanks for all the ideas... I already have the hoist so might as well use it, I bought all the tools as I needed them to take the motor out...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by godrifttoday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to hate, but common this is a stupid question. i think you just wanted to show off your motor, why don't you just make a thread about it? i</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure this is a dumb question for you eng builders, but this is my first time trying any of this, I blue printed and assembled the block myself, but never installed an engine before... I'm just learning everything as I go. you guys helped me along this entire project so I figure I can get some input on the final steps...
Old 12-13-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the turbo and exhaust manifold off the engine

just drop it in engine+tranny alone

its much easier than having the hassle it from underneith.... i am very used to use a cherry picker, so its basically a matter of a few minutes with a friend helping</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont understand why you would'nt want to have the Manifold and the turbo bolted on when droping it in. When I did mine thats how I did it it. Mind you The Rad was pulled out and the Trany was still bolted in. I used a chain block and lowered it in.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboteg96)

i respect people that try things for the first time. Thats how you learn props.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:44 AM

Default Re: (drift2004)

Old 12-13-2004, 09:52 AM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: (onePOINTsix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onePOINTsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHAHA.. Just drop that bitch in and go play
Old 12-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G"UNIT)

I did it from underneath complete with the turbo on and everything, hell I think I even had the DP on the SOHC when I installed it, GSR DP was too big though.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (calvinPGMFI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by calvinPGMFI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This week i will put the engine in my car.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I spy a SSAutoCrap box!!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (leadfoot78)

When we do **** at the shop with the lift we R&R from under the car...but when I do my motor in my garage I will probably go from the top with a cherry picker. But it does help to have a friend act as navigator as you lower it down (or vise versa). GL , I hope its as hot as it looks.

Quick Reply: How are you guys dropping in your fresh built motor and turbo's??