Notices

How would you Finish this setup ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you Finish this setup ????

To maybe get some serious help and less flames (which is fine suit is on) im going to try to not ask many questions but only one. For starters i am OBVIOUSLY NOOB. I built the engine just got lost along the way on what i needed to get it running as far as fuel and such.

So my Question is:
With what is listed under this what would YOU do to finish this setup WITH the 18g turbo and what would be the highest boost you would run?????????????

1998 Integra gsr

BLOCK:
b18c1 Block
Stock crank
Eagle rods
JE 9.8:1 Pistons and rings
STR block guard

HEAD:
b18c1 Head
Stock valves
Crower stage 2 Cams
Crower double springs and titanium retainers
Crower cam gears

TURBO:
Greddy TD05H-18G Turbo w/internal wastegate
Greddy Type-S blow off valve
Apex-I A-VCR Electronic Boost Controller
Small front mount

FUEL:
B&M Fuel Pressure Regulator
B&M Fuel Pressure Gauge
AEM Fuel Rail
Holly 255 Fuel Pump
RC 550cc Fuel Injectors Saturated
Apex-i V-AFC II

IGNITION:
Denso Iridium Plugs 2 degrees colder gapped .26
MSD 6BTM control unit with boost retard
MSD Blaster SS Coil
MSD Modified Distributor Cap
MSD Super conductor Wires

Guys Please I'm looking for help on how to get this thing tuned, im wanting to goto a shop but need to know what i should have before I get there. Im 25 married and just had our first kid so i really want to make sure this is done right. Thanks to all whom DONT flame and tell me to search for ive spent so many hours reading hack threads and various threads on this.

Again the question/s is :
What would you do with this setup if it were your own???
What fuel setup would you keep or sell?
What would be your Max boost you would put to this motor?
With the parts you would suggest what settings would you put everything at before you hit the dyno?

I live in York, PA if anyone with some serious knowledge would be willing to help out.

Old 05-17-2004, 08:56 AM
12 Years Strong

Default Re: How would you Finish this setup ???? (GForceInteg)

I would get a standalone (Hondata, EMS, etc.) and spend some time tuning. I may get slightly bigger injectors and TUNE!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Re: How would you Finish this setup ???? (HybridHatch88)

isnt the EMS like $3000???
Old 05-17-2004, 10:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GForceInteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isnt the EMS like $3000???</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think its more like 1,000...correct me if I am wrong.

Ever thought of Uberdata. Its basically free, and pretty much the same exact thing as Hondata (less the cost, etc). Do some reading up on it, thats what I am running on my setup.

I don't see any reason why 550cc injectors wouldn't be enough, those are fine for your setup. What is your goal as far as power?

What about the rest of your turbo setup? Is it a greddy kit?

Now as far as the little things (boost gauge, oil line kit, piping, downpipe, etc.) I mean is it all installed or what?
Old 05-17-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: How would you Finish this setup ???? (patdemps)

yeah i basically left out all the small details. I have the greddy kit, same cast manifold, 2.5 downpipe. where do i find information on uberdata??
Old 05-17-2004, 01:23 PM
TurboJesse

i don't know how close you are...but you might wanna check out http://www.boosted-hybrid.com hes in Easton, PA and tunes hondata. Sell the afc and pickup a s100b
Old 05-18-2004, 02:14 AM

Default Re: How would you Finish this setup ???? (patdemps)

[QUOTE=patdemps]

I think its more like 1,000...correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah its not $ 3000 but it ranges from about $12-1300 or so, cheaper if you got a good hook up on one.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:42 AM

Default Re: How would you Finish this setup ???? (T.J.)

Well does no one else agree that he should upgrade turbo, intercooler, ect.... I mean this is a Semi built motor why not use it. If you were going to keep the Turbo kit simple there was no reason to build the motor, but for all i know it could have been blown and you rebuilt it.

Either way I would take advantage of the forged pistons/rods, get a bigger turbo, efficient intercooler, ect... and make some nice #'s.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:02 AM

Default Re: How would you Finish this setup ???? (quikB18B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well does no one else agree that he should upgrade turbo, intercooler, ect.... I mean this is a Semi built motor why not use it. If you were going to keep the Turbo kit simple there was no reason to build the motor, but for all i know it could have been blown and you rebuilt it.

Either way I would take advantage of the forged pistons/rods, get a bigger turbo, efficient intercooler, ect... and make some nice #'s. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i would agree, But thats just more money spent for him. He also might not looking for something so extreme. Might have built it to improve the life of the motor for what hes running.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T.J. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah i would agree, But thats just more money spent for him. He also might not looking for something so extreme. Might have built it to improve the life of the motor for what hes running.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point, If thats the case then just upgrade your intercooler, get a good standalone, whether it be Hondata, Aem, underdata..... and see what the 18g can do .
Old 05-18-2004, 06:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good point, If thats the case then just upgrade your intercooler, get a good standalone, whether it be Hondata, Aem, underdata..... and see what the 18g can do .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah some good tuning will also help with the life of his motor.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and see what the 18g can do </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with this. You have the 18g already and the built motor. Go uberdata if you are DIY guy or get hondata or AEM if not and bump the boost up. See what kind of power you can get with that thing.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Re: How would you Finish this setup ???? (hoggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hoggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree with this. You have the 18g already and the built motor. Go uberdata if you are DIY guy or get hondata or AEM if not and bump the boost up. See what kind of power you can get with that thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah id like to see what his set up can do as well.

(GForceInteg) post up some numbers when you get this thing running and tuned.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

18G
Old 05-18-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: How would you Finish this setup ???? (ixiblindixi)

I most definitly will post up once its done. And yes your all right

I have blown the motor once with overboost. I ran stock rods and pistons with bluebox alone and ran it to 24 psi when the vacuum poped off .

Then the last motor I ran forged pistons on stock rods and ran 12lbs all day long with just greddy blue box. That last motor blew 2 oil pumps and won a burn out competition so it was beat hard and dieing fast that one didnt blow but i tore it down to make this one with some other components.

And yeah Im keeping the 18g so hopefully with everything now i can keep some reliability to this one which is why I am here asking for everyones help on making sure its tuned right. Maybe in the future once i get some more knowlegde I'll swing over to bigger turbo. I am looking now for a bigger intercooler again for safty sake and i just also got the b&m Oil Cooler. Again trying tomake reliability not MASIVE power. I would like to turn out some conservative numbers though.

So back to the issue at hand. I'm a DIY thats trying to learn as I go. Again for safty i want to get a base setup I dont have to mess with so I can run all day long and not have to be playing with settings.

So with that said which style managment should i go with since i dont want to, or need to make adjustments???

Again i just had first kid and ima save for next build but i need this thing to last.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:20 PM

And does anyone know where i can get a wideband setup??? used but working
Old 05-18-2004, 09:25 PM

Sorry for the inconvienience everyone but for some unusual reason, I was unable to post my response unless I segmented it into 3 pieces. The three pieces as requested are shown below. Sorry again.

Modified by 1316130057 at 6:47 AM 5/19/2004
Old 05-18-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Re: How would you Finish this setup ???? (1316130057)

Part 1:

Honestly, everything I see is solid, but there are a few minor things I would change. They go as follows ,shown in bold:

BLOCK:
b18c1 Block
Stock crank
Eagle rods
JE 9.8:1 Pistons and rings
Toss the block guard. O-ring head instead.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:43 PM

HEAD:
b18c1 Head
Stock valves
Crower stage 2 Cams
Crower double springs and titanium retainers
Crower cam gears

TURBO:
Garet T3/T04E 60 trim Ball Bearing.
Greddy Type-S blow off valve
Uberdata and any MBC. - I'll elaborate below.
29 x 6.5 x 2.5 Intercooler. Ignore the name brands. With like-numbered cores they're almost all the same

FUEL:
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator. The B&M one will eventually crap out.
No fuel pressure gauge or an electronic one. I've seen a 480hp XR4Ti burn to the ground because the FP gauge vibrated till it cracked the valve on the fuel rail.
Stock Fuel rail - good for enough flow to support 500+hp
Holly 255 Fuel Pump
RC 550cc Fuel Injectors Saturated
No VAFC. Uberdata. Better solution and way less money.

IGNITION:
Denso Iridium Plugs 2 degrees colder gapped .32
No 6BTM. Uberdata will take of your timing needs internally
MSD Blaster SS Coil
MSD Modified Distributor Cap
MSD Super conductor Wires
Old 05-18-2004, 09:49 PM

Part 3:

Listed above.

What fuel setup would you keep or sell?

Listed above, but the posted set-up will support up to 28psi with a T04E60 front end.

What would be your Max boost you would put to this motor?

Everyday on the street about 16. In the exact same street trim you could run 22 safely, but who needs 44Xhp on the street? Keep it at 16 and make high 300's low 400's all day every day.

With the parts you would suggest what settings would you put everything at before you hit the dyno?

I can send you my .bin for my setup wich is almost identical to the combo listed above. Here's a screen shot:

The arrow indicates what my duty cycle is set to at 22psi with the identical injectors, fuel pump, FPR listed above, and my fuel pressure. At 28psi I'd have to make some changes (to larger injectors), but this one will more than get the job done. If there's anything I can help with, don't hesitate to let me know.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:44 AM

I'm gonna have to say you got way outta control here........
Old 05-19-2004, 04:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1316130057 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Toss the block guard. O-ring head instead.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really doubt he is going to be pulling the motor apart now to take out the blockguard. If it was installed correctly he shouldn't have any problems with it.

I would definately contact Boosted-Hybrid because he is in your area. Sell the VAFC and 6BTM and with that money you can pickup a Hondata S200B for like $450. It will take care of your timing and fuel needs. Then have Boosted-Hybrid tune your car for you relatively conservative and you'll be good to go for awhile until you wanna upgrade that turbo . He has his own web site forum at http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/. You can check out past cars he has tuned in the Dyno Graphs forum. Good luck
Old 05-19-2004, 06:07 AM
GSRswapandslow.

http://www.pgmfi.org
or PM J.Davis....he's the Uberdata Guru...did the orginal beta testing, and has used/tuned Uberdata more than ANYONE.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSRswapandslow.)

i second that, work with what ya got, see waht the 18g can do
Old 05-19-2004, 08:47 AM

Default Re: (Raped-Ape)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FwdCivicHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm gonna have to say you got way outta control here........
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im confused???

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Hick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I really doubt he is going to be pulling the motor apart now to take out the blockguard. If it was installed correctly he shouldn't have any problems with it.

I would definately contact Boosted-Hybrid because he is in your area. Sell the VAFC and 6BTM and with that money you can pickup a Hondata S200B for like $450. It will take care of your timing and fuel needs. Then have Boosted-Hybrid tune your car for you relatively conservative and you'll be good to go for awhile until you wanna upgrade that turbo . He has his own web site forum at http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/. You can check out past cars he has tuned in the Dyno Graphs forum. Good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can get everything I would need with obd-2 from hondata for only $450???

Quick Reply: How would you Finish this setup ????