how to play with evo/scoob's ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to play with evo/scoob's ?

just been to small jap car meet and was mainly evo's, skylines, basically top end jap turbo'd motors. i have an ek4 (b16 as stock) in the u.k

felt like i had a skateboard compared to em .

have always wanted to stay all motor but lookin at options it seems the cost is way too much so, have been think of s/c but readin most posts on here it seems most of you guys would go for a turbo as more options to get more power.

reliability is no 1 for me as my only car if it broke down for just day or 2 id be fucked. what sort of figures would i need to to even try and keep up with somethin like a totally stock evo ? and is turbo gonna be my best option ?

at the moment mine is 196bhp (at the flywheel/havnt got wheel power figure) and had few other bits added so should be at 200. basically im on a budget so dont want to have to buy new exhaust or anything like that just complete bolt on turbo kit.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:46 PM
12 Years Strong

Default Re: how to play with evo/scoob's ? (vti444)

You can get a used kit for around $2K and cheaper. Or you can piece a kit together for a little more, but have every part YOU want, and not the parts that come with a kit
Old 06-14-2004, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to play with evo/scoob's ? (HybridHatch88)

i have absolutely no knowledege/understandin of turbo so would have to settle for of the shelf complete kit that comes with every last bolt. i also have to think about labour costs as well as would have to pay place to fit the kit and tune.

i do have a dastek unichip that could be used to tune the car which is 1 less thing i need to worry about buying.

would i need to remove my type r cams and put stock b16 ones back for a turbo ?

also, do turbo's need servicing and how long do they tend to last on a daily driven car ?
Old 06-14-2004, 02:33 PM

If you can install intakes/headers/exhausts, you can install a turbo. It's really straight foward. Spend some time in the forced induction forum here on h-t, and of course search through the archives for kits such as drag, revhard, inline pro, full-race, etc...this is where I got hooked almost 5 years and two turbo hondas ago.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:44 PM

In that case just get a Revhard, Drag kit and be done
Old 06-14-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to play with evo/scoob's ? (Trac226)

, thanks for that man, in the year ive owned my honda ive never really paid any attention to the fi boards as wasnt interested in that route but looks like thats changed .

got plenty of time though as plannin trip to u.s next year so looks like ill be bringin kit back wid me or will just import 1 if get funds together before.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vti444 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">reliability is no 1 for me as my only car if it broke down for just day or 2 id be fucked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vti444 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have absolutely no knowledege/understandin of turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do lots of research so you know exactly what you are getting into.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to play with evo/scoob's ? (Boltz)

from what i ive read it seems guys a lot of guys on here are always havin probs with turbo but then you get guys sayin they are perfectly reliable if done proper and have had no probs.

personally, i always perceived they were unreliable.

guess ill just have to read up. dam, gonna be like bein back at school
Old 06-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<U>http://www.homemadeturbo.com</U>
Old 06-14-2004, 04:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vti444 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from what i ive read it seems guys a lot of guys on here are always havin probs with turbo but then you get guys sayin they are perfectly reliable if done proper and have had no probs.

personally, i always perceived they were unreliable.

guess ill just have to read up. dam, gonna be like bein back at school </TD></TR></TABLE>

The only unreliable thing about turbos is the people who install them and tune them WRONG

Don't be scared to ask questions (search button actually sux *****). I'll give you a couple helpful hints to start you off with.

First off... Get an idea of what you want to accomplish i.e HP/TQ or 1/4 mile times to name a few.

Get a budget (or try) and make sure you have an idea of prices from a number of sources.

Research tuners and or builders in your area and if possibe check their scheduling (unless you do all the work yourself).

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was aiming for 200whp all motor but would probably want about 220-225 with turbo. if my engine will be safer with little less then ill settle for less.

my budget will be around $3000-3500 which must inlcude fitting and tuning. if i can do it cheaper then better but dont wanna cut corners. if i import the kit from u.s that will probably take few hundred $ of that due to shipping and tax/customs charges over here so think im best brigin it back with me when i come to u.s to allow me to pump that money into the kit.

as for places to fit and tune, there are very few places in the u.k but will make sure i find a good place.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and this is my current setup - would i need to remove any of these if goin turbo ?

ek9 header
ek9 t/b
ek9 i/m
hondata gasket
comptech icebox (replaced aem cai)
type r cams
toda gears
fujitsubo rm-01a
dastek unichip with vtec controller
test pipe

i still have all the stock parts of my b16 such as cams so could get them fitted back without need to buy some.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Re: (vti444)

You can remove and sell....the ek9 header (manifold replaces that), comptech icebox (charge pipe replaces that), i'd suggest going with smaller cams or something with less overlap and you could sell the itr cams and make some extra cash on the side to help with your setup. you can keep them but it'd be easier to tune without them.

Engine management is your key. You need to find a tuner right now thats going to tune your car. Find someone that is really good too, don't go half *** or your car will be ****. Use either hondata, uberdata or aem ems. You can use the vafc hack, but i don't suggest it over the other 3 management setups. Since you said your about reliability i suggest taking my advice there.

Now onto the kit itself. Just search through forced induction classifieds and see if you can find a good deal on a used kit (from a reputable seller). Make sure all the parts are in good shape and working order. Then, make your purchase and go from there. You may need to think about upgrading your clutch and exhaust. Your goal of 200-225whp is very attainable and not hard at all with turbo. This should get you in the range of defeating a stock evo (pending on the weight of your car).

You also need to read up. Study as much as you can and learn about turbo. Make sure its something you want to get yourself into and make sure you know what your doing because your going to need some knowledge about it if you want it to be reliable. Just don't go half *** and do things right the first time...and be patient.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be scared when reading posts about turbo problems. People always post for help and not about how they are doing. It would be silly for hundreds of post that say "my car is running fine".
Old 06-15-2004, 06:38 AM

http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo....html
Here's a link for all you need to know about the basics of turbo. Hopefully this will start your turbo hunger.

I have a simple setup and I can stick with the STI's and EVOs.

My setup is powered by a super small 14B turbo which came out of the 1st gen eclipses. Its a custom kit with a front mount Intercooler. The piping was made by use and welded by us. I'm running 5psi and throw down only 200whp. Because of the small turbo I spool very quickly and can keep up with them all the way to the top. Why 5psi?? Well I don't have a boost controller yet.

My point is if you want to play with the BIG NAMES than think big and go with a bigger setup. If I can stick with them using low boost and a simple setup than you can go big and beat them if you want. Keep in mind that a rebuild is on the way if you're gonna use a stock internal setup with big boost.

My suggestion for you is to learn as much about turbos as possible and see exactly what you could be getting yourself into. Look at what turbo will best fit your car and for what needs you have. Make a list of parts that you think you'll need, and keep in mind a goal that you want to reach. If you don't have the parts for the turbo now that's find cause there's always alot you can learn before you get started.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to play with evo/scoob's ? (MidoriHB)

for the info and that link

i have plenty of time on my hands so aint gonna rush in. patdemps, engine managemnt - the unichip i have is very good so should be fine to run a turbo, will need to look into what upgrades i need. if not then looks like hondata is gonna be my route, only few places over here that deal with it and this would take huge chunk out of my budget ($900-1000 to buy, fit and tune + nearest place is about 3-4 drive from me ). i know doug from hondata is in the u.k at this very moment, how cool would it have been to be at a stage where i could just take car to him to setup a hondata

great if i could find a nice used kit but kinda would feel better havin new kit. dont really wanna upgrade exhaust as spent fortune on fujitsubo rm-01a i have now. clutch is defo somethin i will need to upgrade as well.

sellin those parts you mention would get me some $$. think id have stock cams put back in and sell me toda gears as well. from little ive read up to now i beleive you can buy cams for turbo but wanna stay with stock internals as on a budget. would rather spend money in future on uprated bits like pistons and rods which i beleive will help engine reliability and longevity with a turbo.

as for evo/sti, tbh id be happy to be able to keep up, if beatin 1 is possible on a budget while keepin reliability, then that would be a nice bonus.

at the moment, from what you guys have said, sound like id only want low boost with small/average sized turbo as engine reliabity and longevity is crucial to me.

midorihb - from sounds of your setup, id be happy with what you have maybe just little bit more. id be prepared to sacrifice some power to keep my engine in 1 piece. pretty sure ill go with stock internals so looks like low boost for me (maybe uprate some bits in future when i get more $$$)

oh and my car has full interior etc and is unlikely to be stripped so will be on heavy **** side.