Notices

how are my plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:25 AM
john d

Default how are my plugs?

stopped being lazy and changed out my plugs, how are they looking after 2 1/2 months?

Old 12-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everything looks good, kinda hard to see if there is white on the top of it because of lighting
Old 12-10-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: (wpgcivic)

A little rich, but no signs of detonation or anything. Put those back in and take a full throttle run. Shut it down at high RPMS and pull them out. Take a picture of the ground strap and we can tell you if timing is OK. They look good though so no worries
Old 12-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: how are my plugs? (john d)

Looks like you dont use antisieze and there is no reason to change those plugs at 2 1/2 months.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks ok to me. use them for another 2 1/2 months. j/k
Old 12-10-2005, 05:47 PM
john d

Default Re: (undercoverdc2)

haha its really cheap and i went to get some oil and stuff so i just picked some up thanks for all the responces
Old 12-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how are my plugs? (Hybrid93Eg)

not a good idea to use antiseize on plugs..

Old 12-10-2005, 11:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how are my plugs? (Mykizism)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mykizism &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not a good idea to use antiseize on plugs..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

He was obviously referring to dielectric grease you douche...
Old 12-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how are my plugs? (EnzoSpeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EnzoSpeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He was obviously referring to dielectric grease you douche...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm guessing he WAS talking about antiseize....
Old 12-11-2005, 12:34 AM

Don't use your plugs as a diagnostic tool to see if you are running rich/lean.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

put them back in
Old 12-11-2005, 02:12 AM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how are my plugs? (Mythias)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mythias &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't use your plugs as a diagnostic tool to see if you are running rich/lean. </TD></TR></TABLE>

why not?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:02 AM
NooB

Default Re: how are my plugs? (SYD)

just by a gauge.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how are my plugs? (SYD)

Because it doesnt tell the truth, because a differing sparkplug heat range can alter the look of the plug.
Only plug I'd use to tune a car is a colortune plug.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how are my plugs? (Flashmn)

is it bad if plugs are white on top ?!?!? or is that good ??
Old 12-11-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: how are my plugs? (EK_GSR)

Plugs look ok .. 1 hint... Old and Bad plugs will use in taper on the electrod.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Re: how are my plugs? (EK_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it bad if plugs are white on top ?!?!? or is that good ??</TD></TR></TABLE>

The electrode (big ***** thing in the middle ) is supposed to be white. You look for the rich/lean part on the base of the spark plug (the ring around it) Not the good for tuning A/F at WOT but good to know if partial throttle is too rich/lean. It's better to look at the ground strap and know how hot the plug is getting. You want the color change on the electrode to be in the middle. If it's not it could mean that timing is not right OR the heat range of your plug is incorrect.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mykizism &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not a good idea to use antiseize on plugs..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You might want to educate yourself before you make youself look any dumber You are supposed to use antisize on the THREADS of the plug an aluminum heads.

And no, I was not speaking about dielectric grease... But you should also use that on the tips to keep moisture out. Also helps keep the rubber from sticking to the porcelin (sp).
Old 12-11-2005, 10:59 AM

run plugs w/ out antiseize for awhile, and you'll have a hell of a time getting them out.

Plugs look fine. I wish mine would still come out looking that good.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how are my plugs? (Hybrid93Eg)

im sorry last i heard, using antiseize on plugs skews the reading of the plug.. theres another lube u use on plugs its high pressure lube, not antiseize
Old 12-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mykizism &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im sorry last i heard, using antiseize on plugs skews the reading of the plug.. theres another lube u use on plugs its high pressure lube, not antiseize</TD></TR></TABLE>

What in the HELL are you talking about? "skews readings"??? Skews readings of WHAT? You put it on the threads, NOT ON THE TIP OF THE PLUG.

Edit: Ever read a Helm? Its a funny little manual that is put together by Honda and published by "Helm". In the section, in this case 23-105 for a 92-95 Civic, there is a statement. Let me point it out...

"NOTE: apply a small quantity of anti-seize compound to the plug threads before reinstalling"

They probably have no idea what the hell they are talking about though... They didn't know it "skews the readings" of the plugs.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, anti seize prevents wear on the head as well. The last thing you want to do, is have to rethread the head.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, anti seize prevents wear on the head as well. The last thing you want to do, is have to rethread the head. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Bryson's sig
Old 12-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its pretty funny that u guys say run plugs with out antiseize and you`ll have a hard time getting them out.. apparently john d ran those plugs without antiseize for 2.5 months and he never mentioned anything about how hard they were to get out.. the car was even tuned by pro's apparently they didnt feel that antiseize was that important.. yes the helms does say to use antisieze. i use antiseize on my stock vehicles.. but high power motors that i read the plugs to tell timing.. i dont, i use high pressure compound lube that doesnt skew the reading of the plug..
Old 12-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mykizism)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mykizism &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its pretty funny that u guys say run plugs with out antiseize and you`ll have a hard time getting them out.. apparently john d ran those plugs without antiseize for 2.5 months and he never mentioned anything about how hard they were to get out.. the car was even tuned by pro's apparently they didnt feel that antiseize was that important.. yes the helms does say to use antisieze. i use antiseize on my stock vehicles.. but high power motors that i read the plugs to tell timing.. i dont, i use high pressure compound lube that doesnt skew the reading of the plug..</TD></TR></TABLE>

please smeone explain how anti-sieze or grease will skew readings? What in the expletive did you do? put grease in your eye, now you cant see straight? how in the hell does any of this make sense?

I think you need to put that grease in your *** and have your boyfriend plug it for you.. then maybe you can tell if its rich/lean.... OR did that skew the readings?

Quick Reply: how are my plugs?