Notices

How much of my build can i complete?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much of my build can i complete?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but i figured i would get the best advice from those who have gone through or done a turbo set up.

So im turboing my car, but the problem is i i live in cleveland where there are no honda tuners and i need to get to either innovative or slowmotion in c-bus (well, im in columbus for school but i my house is in cleveland where i have a garage i can work in). I got quoted between 600 and 1000 for JUST the turbo install and thats obscene for something i could do myself, even though itll take longer. I thought about building it here, then trailing it down there, but i dont know anyone with a solid truck who would do that nor do i really like to have to depend on others.

So heres my question. I plan to do the headstuds and headgasket at my place, then im hoping to get as much of the kit on as possible. So far, i believe i can make the harness for the resistor box, bolt up the fmic, and figure out where all the piping goes. I also want to start with the exhaust/intake, but i wanted to make sure that i would be fine driving for 2 hrs with the turbo exhaust header going to a high flow cat and yonaka exhaust, along with removing the stock intake pipes (not mani) and sticking a dryflow or or something to make a short ram or something. Also going to try mount the vacuum mani and resistor box, along with wiring the oil press and boost gauge lines. For the oil press, can i put the oil-t in and put in the stock pressure sensor and gauge thing, while stopping the outlet that should go to the turbo?

If there is anything else i can do that would allow me to get it as far to the turbo setup as possible without disabling my car to be SAFELY driven for 2hrs on the higway, any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Oh, and does anyone know where i can get one of these 14 pin connectors? https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/complete-diy-plug-play-obd2-civic-resistor-box-write-up-ej6-ej7-ej8-em1-eg1-eg2-eh6-2073540/

Last edited by Herro Panda; 07-19-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: no
Old 07-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How much of my build can i complete?

Keep an intercooler line disconnected and you wont go into boost. Just make sure there is no leaks, no ticking, and you have oil pressure and watch your temps as your driving and you should be fine
Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Screw that. Get aaa plus. Its like $130 and you get 3 100 mile tows. You need to go 125 miles so you will have to pay for the extra miles BUT its nothing compared having a tuner pissed off at you because you tried to cheap out and do it yourself leaving him with the follow up work.

Fix the car, get it ready to tune, and tow it. You will be ahead in the long run.

You can also rent a truck at the airport and a trailer at uhaul. Just request the chevy and dont tell them you are towing. The chevy comes with a hitch, the dodges don't.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:56 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Do not build it part way. Build all of it and run with a coupler unhooked, as mentioned above, so you cannot build boost. Run on a decent basemap to get you to the tuner.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im def leaning towards just building it and leaving a coupler unhooked (maybe like the first one so i dont have any of the lower pipes dettatched) and should i put a filter on the turbo inlet? its still going to spin cause of the turbine right? An egay filter came with the set so im thinking about putting that on the turbo inlet side and putting the dryflow on the intake manifold side. Or is it better to just burn the egay filter... Also, what do you mean by "decent" basemap? All i have is the stock tune and not sure how else to change it.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Get a real filter, as a the crappy one will break apart and enter into the inlet damaging the blades
Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 AM
The Grumpiest

I'm sorry. Did you say the stock tune? As in stock ECU? Better not be. What is the tuner supposed to be tuning this on? Really? You are running with larger injectors are you not? If so, how is the ECU supposed to correct for the extra fuel they will be dumping into the engine?
How about for the sake of clarification you list EVERYTHING you have in your turbo kit?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so i had a reply, but i got logged out before i could submit it and i need to go take a final. Ill list parts and stuff and i can list them later, but my main issue is how much of it can i put on my car with the stock tune, since i dont have any means of tuning the car before i get to the tuner. No, im obviously going to get a chipped p28 with the hondata module and the conversion harness and everything for the actual tune, but none of that matters since i cant program it myself and can only run stock ecu until i can actually get to someone who knows how to.
Thanks and sorry if i poorly phrased my response
Old 07-20-2012, 05:11 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Herro Panda
Ok so i had a reply, but i got logged out before i could submit it and i need to go take a final. Ill list parts and stuff and i can list them later, but my main issue is how much of it can i put on my car with the stock tune, since i dont have any means of tuning the car before i get to the tuner. No, im obviously going to get a chipped p28 with the hondata module and the conversion harness and everything for the actual tune, but none of that matters since i cant program it myself and can only run stock ecu until i can actually get to someone who knows how to.
Thanks and sorry if i poorly phrased my response
If you're trying to drive immediately, the answer is NONE, with the exception of anything that is not fuel injector, ECU or turbo related. This includes but is not necessarily limited to Intake manifold, Throttle body, clutch/flywheel, a few gauges, and a fuel pump.. That's it.

This needs to be installed as a complete set of parts with tuning management ready to go, including the possibility of a turbo "basemap" so that the car will start with your larger injectors. This is the BEST way to do it, but not the only one.

You can also install the entire turbo kit, except for injectors, and disconnect an I/C pipe so that the car doesn't see positive pressure. This is strictly so that you can drive to the tuner and complete your installation of injectors and fuel management. But it all depends upon how far you are from the tuner.

Hope that was a little bit of guidance.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The trip he needs to take is over 2 hours without traffic.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You can also install the entire turbo kit, except for injectors, and disconnect an I/C pipe so that the car doesn't see positive pressure. This is strictly so that you can drive to the tuner and complete your installation of injectors and fuel management. But it all depends upon how far you are from the tuner.

Hope that was a little bit of guidance.
This was exactly what i was looking for, thank you.
But...
Originally Posted by TKERacer619
The trip he needs to take is over 2 hours without traffic.
It that "too far"? Immediately after installing what i can, im directly going down to the tuner (i have to come back to college in c-bus anyways).

What I have: greddy td04h with exhaust mani, mishimoto fmic, ebay piping, dsm 450s with resistor box, vacuum mani, boost/oil press gauges, downpipe, ngk bkr7e, arp headstuds/oem headgasket, walbro 225, greddy type rs bov.
What I need: Chipped ecu with hondata, new clutch?, yonaka exhaust w/ high flow cat, new valve cover w/ catch can?

Last edited by Herro Panda; 07-20-2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Added list of stuff I have
Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You will also need to wait to change the spark plugs also. Or you can install everything rent a truck and trailer from u haul . I also vote get triple a it cost 130 a year for me for three 100 mile tows and one 200 miles
Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 AM
The Grumpiest

No. It's not too far. Where do you people get this stuff? As long as there is no possibility of boost, hence the loose coupler, he will be fine.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you could theoretically drive it forever with a charge pipe disconnected..
Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so install everything except injectors/resistor box/ecu and drive down there with piping disconnected and ill be fine. Sounds good. Thanks for all the help
Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont believe there are no tuners locally. You live in a major city. Look harder. Join the local car forums.
30 seconds on google I turned up:
http://www.bullittproof.com/
http://www.smokeysdyno.com/
http://www.rdpmotorsport.com/

Honda-Tech tuner directory https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/%2Anew-tuner-directory%2A-2349805/
Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
I dont believe there are no tuners locally. You live in a major city. Look harder. Join the local car forums.
30 seconds on google I turned up:
http://www.bullittproof.com/
http://www.smokeysdyno.com/
http://www.rdpmotorsport.com/

Honda-Tech tuner directory https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2349805
Im sorry, how many of them do hondas? Oh thats right, they all do DOMESTICS. Im not taking my first turbo to some place that only does muscle cars in straight lines. And if you look at the directory, they list ips and slowmotion. Big suprise.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sigh, Smokeys specificially lists Honda/Acura on their site. Jon @ Bullitt is a former S2000 owner/tuner. RDP lists they tune AEM EMS - you never listed what platform you're with. nevermind
Old 07-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
sigh, Smokeys specificially lists Honda/Acura on their site. Jon @ Bullitt is a former S2000 owner/tuner. RDP lists they tune AEM EMS - you never listed what platform you're with. nevermind
Smokey does it for 650 only for hondata kpro and flash and im pretty sure ive listed that i want to go hondata multiple times. Id rather just go to ips or slow motion where ive heard a lot of good reviews.