How much does VTEC help with a turbo? ->>

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does VTEC help with a turbo? ->>

Right now I have a B20/VTEC setup that is running all motor in my del Sol. I'm thinking about turboing it in the near future, and I still have the B20's head sitting in the garage. My question is, would it be worth it to put the B20 head back on, sell the B16 head off my current setup, and use the extra money for goodies for the turbo? I would probably be running no more than 10 PSI. About how much faster (or slower) would a B20/VTEC turbo setup be compared to a B20 (non-VTEC) turbo, all other things being equal at 10 PSI? Which do you think is a better option? Keep in mind that the B16 head was not deschrouded (sp?) to match the B20's bore, so there is a little edge in the combustion chamber (probably not good for detonation).

Also, in the B20Z's block I have the stock 9.6:1 pistons. About how much could I boost safely on this block and stock rods and pistons if it's tuned well with Hondata? Or is it not even worth the risk and I should go with "8.8 JE Piston and Eagle rod"?

Thanks for any info you can give me.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:21 PM

Default Re: How much does VTEC help with a turbo? ->> (escapist13)

VTEC is one of the best things to come along as far as making power out of a short stroke hi revving motor, There are substantial gains to be made using vtec with forced induction, Tuning is key however, and there are many people that would argue for both sides in this matter, however It is my opinion that the advantages of VTEC are most beneficial and well worth it. Thats my opinion, take it for what its worth
Old 03-24-2002, 12:24 PM

Default Re: How much does VTEC help with a turbo? ->> (Turbo B16A SI)

Thanks for the comments. Anyone else car to throw in their $.02?
Old 03-24-2002, 04:29 PM

vtec and turbo will do well together with tuning. Since when you are in vtec the valves overlap, meaning the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time then the boosted air can blow right through the combustion chamber not stopping to explode and make power. My friend had a prelude and had aggresively tuned his cam gears when it was naturally aspirated for max overlap , when he put his turbo kit on, the car fell on its face when it hit vtec. Overlap and turbo don't necessarily mix. I am DEFINITELY NOT saying that turbo and vtec don't mix just saying that correct cam tuning/new cams can definitely benefit!
Old 03-24-2002, 06:03 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How much does VTEC help with a turbo? ->> (smackdown-lude)

If you just want to make more power with Turbo, you don't have to have vtec to do it. If you want want more power with Turbo and good bottom end and idle, then you have to use vtec.

You make power with turbo by flowing more air and you flow more air by running higher rpms. That's why vtec engines with turbos use bigger turbos than non vtec. Sure you could increase the redline on your b20, but to make more power at higher revs you'd need cams that make power there too. And then once you get cams that make power up there, you'll have a shitty idle and no bottom end. With vtec that problem is solved. It's like having your cake and eating it.

Hope that made sense...
Old 03-24-2002, 06:07 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like everyone said, the vtec can compliment the turbo with proper tuning.