Notices

How many U-Bends do I really need?? I still have my CAI.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 11:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many U-Bends do I really need?? I still have my CAI.

I'm asking cuase I want to get my U-Bends Jet-HOT coated along with my manifold but I don't know how many of them that I really need to get coated.

Since I was TOLD to keep my Cold Air intake cause I could use that as my charger pipe right? So I won't be needing as many pipes as I do.

I have six U-Bends that I got from the Max-Rev kit that was sold last year. yeah.. it's been that long and I still don't have it installed. Should I coat all six to be safe? Or 4 or so?
Old 02-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many U-Bends do I really need?? I still have my CAI. (Snafu-Si)

Is it that much more to get one more done?
Old 02-01-2003, 11:55 AM

why dont you cut them all up first and then coat them?
Old 02-02-2003, 07:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: How many U-Bends do I really need?? I still have my CAI. (BlueSi2k)

Because I don' tknow how to put it on.

In fact, I have no freakin idea what the hell I'm doing, I'm just going to let some dude named Tom Payn do it for me.

I was told that they welds would be prone to rust as well. or something like that, either way, no biggie, just .. get some high temp paint on the edges right?
Old 02-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wasn't thomas payne a colonial author?

-Ryan
Old 02-03-2003, 10:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: How many U-Bends do I really need?? I still have my CAI. (tegasaurus)

http://www.payntechnologies.com
Old 02-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your going to want to cut and test fit all pipes 1st, then go get them jet-coated.
HTH
M
Old 02-03-2003, 10:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: How many U-Bends do I really need?? I still have my CAI. (01ITR#700)

how come, I mean, I know the edges will be exposed but I was told that covering them up with some hightemp paint would suffice.

Since I am getting my turbo installed by a shop roughly an hour away, it would be difficult to get them to cut and measure, then for THEM to ship it, and wait, for me to wait, so they could wait for it to come back, after maybe they might, have some time to still install it in my car cuase they are busy.

I guess. I was told that it wasn't too big of a deal to get them coated then cut. But I will look into it some more.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well of course it's not a big deal to coat them and then cut and weld them...the person coating them will love you when you come back to have them sandblasted and re-coated after half of the **** gets scratched off and you notice it looks like *** having that paint on the welds only.

There's a lot of ways to do piping, but here's a general idea:
(3) 90 degree bends from turbo to IC on driver's side
(1) 180 deg, (1) 90 deg, (1) 45 deg, and (1) more 90 deg from IC to TB on pass. side.

Make it as straight as possible, the less harsh bends the better (45 deg is better than 90 deg, etc).

Avoid using silicone bends to reduce costs, straight hose is much cheaper. Of course, if you are using a CAI for your upper charge pipe some of this is not going to be needed. Also if you have no imagination whatsoever and can't look at it to get an idea of how this fits together, then this info will not help you whatsoever.

GET IT COATED AFTER IT'S FITTED! Don't throw your money away on all that expensive coating just to end up with something that looks like crap.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many U-Bends do I really need?? I still have my CAI. (Hatchblack)

Well of course it's not a big deal to coat them and then cut and weld them...the person coating them will love you when you come back to have them sandblasted and re-coated after half of the **** gets scratched off and you notice it looks like *** having that paint on the welds only.
Thats what I meant to say, you hit the nail on the head
M
Old 02-05-2003, 10:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: How many U-Bends do I really need?? I still have my CAI. (01ITR#700)

So basically, I should just go get it installed first, then.. take my car home, and then since the piping has been fit and cutted and the turbo has be installed and tuned, take off my bumper, and take off the piping, and take off my manifold which I just payed to get it put on, and then ship it out, get it coated, get it back, and put my manifold, and all the piping back on...

Geez.. that sucks.

How about.. I just go buy some Aluminized piping instead of the mild steel piping that I already have? Wouldn't that be cheaper just that way? I was only really thinking about getting the piping coated cause I was told that mild steel was prone to rust easily.

[Modified by Snafu-Si, 2:11 AM 2/6/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 10:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

... What do you guys think of me just ditching the mild steel piping, and going to buy some Aluminized piping which will only cost me about.... um... no more than $50 bucks or so, and spend the remaining money on getting my turbo manifold coated by Jet-Hot??? Turns out to be cheaper actually as it cost about 15$ per FOOT to get piping coated in 2000 series by jet hot.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shoot me , or urself