How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (tjbizzo)

well i just got a wideband and my afr is in the high to low 11's...not even going about 12.0 really so i don't think that is the problem.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket? (93LSivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93LSivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you had the blocks deck checked fro straightness?
Also a poor milling job on the head will contribute to gasket failure, especially with boosted cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i got the head resurfaced and checked for straightness the last time it blew.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket? (msmotorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by msmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your looking for a new bottom end please check out the forum at http://www.ms1motorsports.com in the for sale section. I have a D16Z6 bottom end for sale that is out of a 92 civic SI. I also have some other parts that might spark your interest. Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

anybody know how low a z6 block will drop my compression ratio with a y8 head? I tried putting it in the compression calculator, but i'm not sure of the piston to deck height.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:16 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket? (SOHC_MShue)

was your car ever getting hot? maybe you should try a little thicker headgasket? try the zexman way....tq the arp's to the stock specs with a stock headgasket and a thin coat of rtv....it works so he says !!!! i kept blowing gaskets between the water jacket i never fully blew one. i bet the block deck isnt strait you should check that.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:17 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket? (OnePointSicks)

oh and PM me about that spare head if hes willing to sell it cheap....and if your head was resurfaced and is strait and true , then theres nothing wrong with it.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket? (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i got the head resurfaced and checked for straightness the last time it blew.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im asking about the blocks surface, not the head.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket? (OnePointSicks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OnePointSicks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">was your car ever getting hot? maybe you should try a little thicker headgasket? try the zexman way....tq the arp's to the stock specs with a stock headgasket and a thin coat of rtv....it works so he says !!!! i kept blowing gaskets between the water jacket i never fully blew one. i bet the block deck isnt strait you should check that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the car overheated once the headgasket blew. I did it the zexman way this past time with the rtv and all...it still didn't work. Did you fix your problem with blowing headgaskets?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93LSivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im asking about the blocks surface, not the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i haven't gotten the block surface checked, but i was under the impression that it took much more to warp that than it did the head. The guy that resurfaced my head said it wasn't in bad shape at all so i assumed the block was straight.

Do you guys think that a thicker headgasket will really help keep it from blowing? I don't want to lower my compression and i have seen plenty of people blow their headgasket even with a thicker headgasket. What about those copperheadgaskets? I heard they were nice.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:42 AM
OG triple OG

my headgaskets held fine so far to 14 lbs , we shall see how it likes 25.....

check the deck surface....i bet you thats the problem.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might want to try some new headstuds. Did you check the torque on them after 10-12 heat cycles? They might need retightening. I always torque mine to 60ftlbs with the supplied lube and then after 10 heat cycles bump them up to 70ft/lbs. No problems here anymore. Hitting the dyno on Sat. and hoping for ~300whp so we'll see if I get headlifting issues then.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:55 AM
OG triple OG

Default Re: (Pfieffdog)

cant wait to see it!!!!

PM turbodcx hes pushing 502whp , see what hes running....
Old 11-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump to watch
Old 11-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket? (dornon13)

I'm going to guess it's a combination of a warped block surface, non-retorqued ARP's, and previous detonation. It's not always one thing.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pfieffdog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pfieffdog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Might want to try some new headstuds. Did you check the torque on them after 10-12 heat cycles? They might need retightening. I always torque mine to 60ftlbs with the supplied lube and then after 10 heat cycles bump them up to 70ft/lbs. No problems here anymore. Hitting the dyno on Sat. and hoping for ~300whp so we'll see if I get headlifting issues then.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so i should torque them down to 60 using a step method and then let the car cool down and heat up 10 times? Then retorque them down again? A couple of my friend's who are techs at honda said they torque them down and then untorque them and then retorque them again to stretch new studs out or something.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket? (93LSivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93LSivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you had the blocks deck checked fro straightness?
Also a poor milling job on the head will contribute to gasket failure, especially with boosted cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly what i was thinking.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so i should torque them down to 60 using a step method and then let the car cool down and heat up 10 times? Then retorque them down again? A couple of my friend's who are techs at honda said they torque them down and then untorque them and then retorque them again to stretch new studs out or something. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I torqued them to 60 ft/lbs, drove around, let them warm and cool 10 times. I didn't loosen them up at all, and just tightened them down to 65 ft/lbs, then 70ft/lbs in sequence. I really don't think 60 ft/lbs is enough on the sohc motors after they have warmed and cooled several times.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i just got a wideband and my afr is in the high to low 11's...not even going about 12.0 really so i don't think that is the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Perhaps you have a lazy injector? Are they just DSMs? Perhaps one is bad...
Old 11-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Perhaps you have a lazy injector? Are they just DSMs? Perhaps one is bad... </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a possiblity but here are my $.02.

1) Both the block and head must be completely flat. (as 93LS stated) This is extremely critical. I know yous aid you had the head surface done but did you double check it yourself? Not many "local" machines shops are any good at machine work.

2) You are running untuned without a wideband (at the time from what I am reading). This could also cause it easily. (Edit:, sorry, I read it wrong. You were running a wideband when it blew?)

3) What was the timing? This is also very critical. Post the screen shots and we can tell you if this is the problem. Are you sure you had premium gas in? You might have got **** gas and it detonated.

All I can think of right now.

Good luck
Old 11-07-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Re: (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This is a possiblity but here are my $.02. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, I was referring to the detonation problem he's experiencing, not the headgasket blowing. I should've made that clearer.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry, I was referring to the detonation problem he's experiencing, not the headgasket blowing. I should've made that clearer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was agreeing with you. Faulty injector can easily cause detonation. Detonation = bad.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is a possiblity but here are my $.02.

1) Both the block and head must be completely flat. (as 93LS stated) This is extremely critical. I know yous aid you had the head surface done but did you double check it yourself? Not many "local" machines shops are any good at machine work.

2) You are running untuned without a wideband (at the time from what I am reading). This could also cause it easily. (Edit:, sorry, I read it wrong. You were running a wideband when it blew?)

3) What was the timing? This is also very critical. Post the screen shots and we can tell you if this is the problem. Are you sure you had premium gas in? You might have got **** gas and it detonated.

All I can think of right now.

Good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

1. everyone i know around here...even my friends who are techs at honda have taken their motors to the same machine shop so i assumed that they did a good job. I didn't really have a good straight edge to check the head.

2. I did have a wideband when it blew. They were the same maps i've been running all along and the afr didn't even get up into the 12's and was espescially rich up top.

3. i'll post some pics of my timing maps later tonight when I get home.

Perhaps you have a lazy injector? Are they just DSMs? Perhaps one is bad... </TD></TR></TABLE>

is it possible that one injector is bad even though i'm reading plenty rich on the wideband? Would i have a bunch of lean spots when that one injector was leaning out? I have considered this a possibility. Everyone i've asked can't seem to figure out my detonation problem.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 11-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NONE In fact, i reused mine from 150,000 ago when i put in the new engine.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket? (racinskittle)

haha damn your lucky
Old 11-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here are my maps

the first is what i was detonating on. The second map i didn't really hear any detonation except maybe a tiny bit, but i had to take a shitload of timing out. They are both the high ignition maps.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not once been boosting for sohc's for 3 years plus, just made 240whp on 13psi stock engine zc sohc. Someone else once suggested you check your injectors.. You really need to get the lean spots checked out on a dyno... I don't think the head gasket failure is to with the D series engine it something else being done incorrectly.

Quick Reply: How many times have you sohc guys blown your headgasket?